Removing noise from live bootlegs (newbie warning)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Sune Petersen, Sep 16, 2023.

1. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

I gave advice to OP what should and could be done, and how, if you want to do it properly.
    The choice is his, and there are other tools, but I've been doing this from 2006 and in the meantime tested almost every restoration/remastering tool that exists. So I'd like that some of the people who recommend other 'simpler' tools (even single knob) do a remaster themselves and post it, so that we can see/hear the advantages of their approach.
    OP said that his primary goal was to 'clean up' the audio to remove unwanted noise... It is a rather vague description.
    In the example that I restored wasn't any significant noise that should be cleaned up. And such is the case with all the rest of the 1985 recordings. But they sure need some remastering (especially since they are live recordings and in lossy format).
    1983 recordings are terrible in all respects, and they need a pro and lots of work. The result would not be impressive, and it would be expensive too. They are definitely not suitable for newbies.

2. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Your restoration sounds great, pratyahara!

Could you try with one of the songs from the first link? Really curious how far you can get.

3. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

If you are doing this for your own listening pleasure just take the time to learn how to use some of the suggested software, and you should be quite satisfied with the results.

4. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

It's over 23 min. long, has strong buzz and very irregular EQ-ing. Somebody evidently tried to restore it from some lossy format (has a visible trace of previous cutoff frequency around 16 kHz), and has done some awkward and irregular waveshaping, then saved it in some (unknown) format before it being re-encoded to OPUS to fit into video.
    It would be a waste of time.

5. Sune Petersen

Sune Petersen Newbie

I don't mean to unnecessarily bump an old thread, but for those of you who like this kind of music, I've attempted to translate all of their officially released songs into English.

Here are the links to the playlists with lyric videos I've created:

Supertanker (debut album, released in May, 1980)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLje6M5KH5Kg6JVttKSelw_Nu5hSGCbKKQ

Okay Okay Boys (sophomore album, released in 1982)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLje6M5KH5Kg4SZ7iM_9rkl8cC2X2iseau

Two songs from Pære Punk ("Pære Punk" was a Danish compilation album, featuring various Danish punk bands. This compilation album was originally released in April, 1979. The album featured 20 tracks in total, with only two tracks contributed by Kliché. I've collected those two Kliché tracks here.)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLje6M5KH5Kg5tZfWL7pnHab6202D0jber

Collected Klichés (my compilation playlist, comprising all of the above releases in a single playlist)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLje6M5KH5Kg7QKjkChJT81_9-Xd4yIfCA

If you don't want to listen to an entire album just to see if you'd be into the music, here are a few songs to give you a small sampling.

Militskvinder ("Militia Women"), from Supertanker:

Havets Blå ("The Ocean's Blue"), from Supertanker:

Masselinjen (sometimes also spelled "Masselinien", meaning "The Mass Line"), from Supertanker:

Bag De Røde Bjerge ("Behind the Red Mountains"), from Okay Okay Boys:

Pil På Himlen ("Arrow in the Sky"), from Okay Okay Boys:

Brændende Kakler ("Burning Tiles", referring to the tiles that comprise part of the Space Shuttle thermal protection system), from Okay Okay Boys:

Disclaimer: I've translated the lyrics from Danish into English. I am an amateur translator with no professional experience, and I don't hold any degrees in either language. I am a huge fan of the band, and I simply wanted the English speaking world to be able to get a sense of what message the lyrics are conveying. I've tried to stay as close to the literal meaning as possible, but minor adjustments were necessary due to the differences in syntax and expression between the two languages.