Removing mic(s) from a Kontakt library

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by mrpsanter, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Kontakt recent's libs have been gaining some HD weight due to the addition of multiple mics.

For example, Berlin Orchestral Brass is about 180 GB but once every mic is removed except the Close one, the library is less than 60 GB.

I wanted to do the same with other libs and searched the internet for some instructions but with no luck so far. Apparently this isn't as easy as it looks like, especially if the library is compressed.

I would be happy if someone had this knowledge and could share with us how to do just that.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

What exactly libs have you tried with?

That option (Close mic) is often in the GUI. All you have to do is choose "Close mic", and save the patches/instruments.

Can be a long process, but not really a complicated process!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. DeeeZZZ

DeeeZZZ Guest

inNKX for Total Commander

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Thanks for your feedback but it's not what I had in mind.

I would like to remove all the mics except one in order to significantly decrease the library's size on the HD. A recent example on our sister site is the Berlin Brass library. Unless I'm wrong, doing what you suggest will not result in a smaller library on your HD.

Since most of the recent libs use NI's compression, you can't just delete the uneeded samples from your HD because they are packaged in NI's container. As such, you can't know (unless you are the developer of the library) which package file includes some particular mic files.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Can you please elaborate?

EDIT: Don't bother, I got it!
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. My only issue is that I don't understand russian but I will manage it anyway.

Thanks a lot. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. DeeeZZZ

DeeeZZZ Guest

This "plugin" help you find all samples in containers ( .nkx)
    this plugin may create and unpacked (modified) .nkx files
    you will need find all close mics samples and create new containers .nkx
    this is not easy with huge libraries and many articulation
    on rutracker.org and audionews.org has so many close libraries
    and you also find human who create this libraries

8. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Thanks to this tool, I succesfully removed all the mics except the Close one on an NKX file.

The problem now is that I'm having some weird behavior from Kontakt therefore I suppose that something else needs to be done beside dealing with the NKX file?

I tried to batch resave but it doesn't seem to help a lot.

9. DeeeZZZ

DeeeZZZ Guest

I send link to your profile around 1 hour ago
    you may download any libraries and see how it works with all files
    also open in total commander and you see all files what your need to do this
    .nkr file also will need for work ( it resource container)

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@DeeeZZZ

Thanks but I didn't receive anything from you so far.

So I need to deal with the NKR file besides the NKX: Can you please elaborate on this?

11. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

• Extract contents of NKX by doing Collect Samples/batch compress to a separate folder
    • Resave new NKIs in that folder
    • Study the naming scheme of the NCW samples, then remove those which are obviously mics you don't want (you can use Group Editor in Kontakt to help you out with identification which samples belong to which mic)
    • Resave new NKIs again
    • Move NICNT and NKR archives from old to new directory
    • Done

12. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

@Andrew
    I didn't exactly follow your steps but nonetheless I managed to extract and repack a NKX file with only one Mic instead of five, having the result to decrease the NKX size from 1.8 GB to less than 400 MB.

I'm still not sure on how to apply your last step (moving NICNT and NKR archives)... Right now, when I'm trying to load the instrument of my new NKX, I'm still able to select one of the old mic (which doesn't exist anymore) and I'm also unable to complete a Batch Resave on this new NKX.

I'm obviously missing something at this stage, what do you think?

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Andrew's method works very well with libraries with easy mic sample organization, tipically folders like stage, close, and so on. 8dio's recent ones come directly "prepared to kill mics". But after batch compression to .wav/.ncw many others originally in .nkx containers are equally easy to handle. Important to keep the closest one because is the best in order to apply later your own reverbs.

I don't know how well works this interesting inNKX. What would be really cool is to repack the samples in nkx containers, would be great deal in non SSD drives. Like have been said this should be the tool used in Russian Repacks. Notorious example: EWQL Symphonic Choirs closest mic weighing around 5 GB.