Removing AAX, DPM Plugins?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Dr. Howard, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

So, does anyone know if there are specific plugins that DON'T require me having AAX or DPM Plug Ins Installed??
    I already found out that Arturia requires all flavors installed, in order for them to work..
    It's a matter of space and the accumulation of unused Protools Plugins, which I DON'T use…

Your Thoughts Are Appreciated!
    :grooves:

3. richsketchy

richsketchy Noisemaker

You are are going to have to see by manually pulling them out where you have your different plugin locations. With how many plugins there are it is hard to say. Some plugins run off of a shell like waves. To be honest with you what is the problem you are having because the size of plugins are very small if you understand what I mean? I hope I was able to help or msg me any questions and I will do what I can.

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Yes you can but even if you do not use vst, some Aus require the vst.
    Also there are similar therads *yes*

5. copylefter

copylefter Producer

If you use only AU/VST/VST3 you can safely trash all Digi/Avid crap. After some time it stinks too, no good. :bleh:
    Not a single AU/VST/VST3/MAS (what? good point lol: MotuAudioSystem, a cheap RTAS/AS on its own)
    plug-in will ever require AAX/RTAS to work.

AAX/RTAS instead requires many times vst to work, since many developers just wrap vsts to make those.
    Not even Arturia, for AU/VST3 to work VST is needed for some of their plugs, for other VST3 is needed for AU and VST is native.
    A total big mess, Arturia suck big time at coding, nothing new.
    (let alone I talked to a guy today who is still having all AUs crashing in DP, but working in Logic, never ever heard, the other way around is much more usual)

To sum: if you're not a protools guy you can even delete the whole AAX/RTAS folder every now and then after new installs:

/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins
    /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

I hate myself for still liking ProTools for it's audio editing. Most of the rest sucks big time, but for editing is still the place where I feel at home. :(

6. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Little OT, do you know what one needs to keep if he only wants to use VSTs (in Ableton 9 x32)? Are the VSTs plugins dependant on other files or they can work with the .vst file only?

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I think what the esteemed mr. copylefter was saying was that if you just use VST's, the VST 2.4 version should be sufficient, as some AU's from some crap companies (arturia MONKEYS require VST3's?!!?!) require the VST to be there, so if you don't use AAX/MAS (wtf?), RTAS, AU, you are fine losing those (i personally would drop them to another drive for safekeeping if you are dealing with this as a matter of space on a 128GB SSD system drive or something...), but usually they are small enough that they are no worry... I usually leave them or install them, because sometimes I will have to go to PT, or whatnot, and would rather have them at low overhead, then not, but my system drive is 1TB SSD, so I can better afford the space...
    AU's are USUALLY wrapped VST's.... and not the other way around. I personally have to stop my adherence or reliance on AU's (Logic throwback), as a lot of plugins released in both formats do not even have the presets etc in the AU version.... but I use logic as well, so, whatever, double up on the plugs (they are like ~60mb's usually TOPS so no big deal)....

One thing I would NOT do however is delete x64 versions, as like it or not, we are going to a x64 world, and you don't want to spend your time looking around for all those again....

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yeah thats crap!!
    It is sad that many developer dont give us the option in their installers to not install rtas and aax versions.
    Or be aBLE TO SKIP vst & au for THOSE Pro Tools users.

I just delete the avid and digidesign folders and everything works as a charm.
    On windows it is located in the common files folder
    Mac is located in Macitosh HD library application support

B.t.w even if you MUST install the aax and rtas version on Arturia products they still work both standalone and vst plugins after you deleted the aax and rtas plugin folders the people who told you otherwise is lying

9. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

For those installers that won't allow you to choose wich plugin install, go for Pacifist way ;-)

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

ok for people on windows, they can use total commander and enter in the search (ctrl+F7) *.aax and *.dpm, then they can feed to listbox and delete them all.

for mac copy already answered clear.
    i hate it too, when company install plugin versions, it means always extra work to clean it up.

11. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Dont forget that with the Rtas dpm it also comes another file extension called .rsr
    So in the search box enter Avid and Digidesign instead you end up in the right folder anyway.

12. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

Thanks for all the great replies!! This freed up over 3Gb of space for me...
    :grooves:

13. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

thanks, cleared up 2.5 GB of space