Remove Vsts without leaving any residue

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by namurtik, May 29, 2024.

Tags:
  1. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a tool with which I can uninstall VSTs and FX completely and without leaving any residue. For Mac (!).Audio Plugin Remover tends to overlook something... Or do you know how I can do it manually?

Last edited: May 29, 2024
  3. muse2love

muse2love Producer

use REVO uninstaller with care

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

just delete the plugin file, most of the newer plugins have settings files, which might not be caught by any uninstaller bcs they are created after the plugin is opened the first time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

thank you, is it also for mac?

6. Reas

Reas Newbie

For mac, you can use appcleaner (free) to uninstall apps and trash files. Also for plugins that has no installer, you can check out "Audio Plugin Uninstaller" by wbsound (also free)

7. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

Best Answer
    @namurtik

Not even using the option "uninstall with clean my mac X" with said software will nuke your plugin.
    To make everything disappear you have to do this manually, it's no that hard really I used to do this all the time.

- In the application folder delete everything related to the plugin you want gone.

- In the user folder (/your name) go to documents and delete everything related to the plugin you want gone.

- in /HD (or /SSD or whatever you named your drive) go to /Library -> /Application support and delete the plugin in /Avid (.aax)
    . Still in /Application Support find /name of the developper or /name of the plugin and delete.
    . Still in /Application Support, go to /Preferences and delete the .plist file related to the plugin (name of the developper/plugin)

- Go back to /Library-> /Audio -> /Plug-Ins, now delete everything you want gone in /CLAP /COMPONENT /VST /VST3
    . Still in /Plug-Ins -> /Presets delete what you want and /Plug-Ins -> /Sounds, delete what you want.

- Now go to /users then /shared and delete everything related to the plugin.

- Now on your desktop type the shortcut Shift+cmd+G (go to folder) and type ~/Library
    . This will show you the hidden library
    . As you did in the normal library delete what you need in : /Application Support, /Audio, /Preferences

The most important is to delete the .component (or .aax .vst .vst3 .clap depending on the DAW you use and the type of insttalation you did) and the .plist in /preferences and hidden preferences.

Be careful not to delete a developper folder if you want to keep other plugins from the same developper and only the folder/files with the name of the plugin.

- If you use Logic, it's done, your plugin is nuked.
    - If you use Live you need to delete some stuff in /Live or /Ableton aswell

I have no experience with other DAWs.

Hope that helps :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

In addition to the above recommendations 'Find Any File' for mac is also useful to find, you guessed it, anything. Handy tool to have around.

9. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Edit: thought it was Win