remove constant noise

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by vampire, Nov 4, 2011.

1. vampire

vampire Newbie

let's say I have a track that has a constant high-pitched noise/sound going throughout the whole track,
    well what could be the best way to reduce it or even remove it without damaging too much the background
    melody? when I say best way, it's best in terms of more removal and keeping background as good as possible.

note: I am currently using Audacity, but if I need to get something else, it
    won't be a problem. ;)

thanks a lot

3. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

This might work ...

http://audioz.info/audio-software/mac/33623-download_izotope-rx-advanced-v202-vst-as-rtas-mas-au-mac-osx-ub.html

:wink:

4. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Vampire: "...a constant high-pitched noise/sound..."

Well that's not saying much! What kind of noise is it - generated by what?
    The first thing you want to do is to analyze the whole track for the frequencies.
    Then you can succeed with choosing the right "weapon"!
    :wink:

You're looking for a Plug-In or for a Software? Mac or PC? :blues:

This one is new – but no Crack available yet:
    Code:
    http://www.algorithmix.com/en/renovator.htm

5. vampire

vampire Newbie

that software is very interesting! but how do I know exactly what I am erasing with that software, like
    which frequencies, etc? also, can that be used to remove or reduce voices in a track? is there a full
    tutorial on that software? thanks man

6. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

narrow resonance on an EQ.

Boost first to find the frequency, then cut it out.

7. vampire

vampire Newbie

but if I do that, will I lose quality from the original file?
    can you post a screenshot of what you mean, thanks

8. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Vampire: Quality loss is eminent if the high frequency is present in the frequency range of any of the instruments or vocals. You can hope that the reduction of noise will result in subtle loss. The method described by Paus works too but a more advance approach will be using noise removal program like Waves Znoise/Xnoise or Iztope Rx 2. These are more scientific systems and reduce noise by method of subtracting a pre-analyzed sample. Pretty much the same way as Paus but more sophisticated. First you feed a sample sample of audio which only contains the noise and not other sounds. Then you apply the noise reduction with this loaded source.

There are more advance methods available now, the visual editing provided by RX2 is amazing. Do check it out.

9. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

[​IMG]

Like that but more narrow. Set it like that but BOOST it and slide from left to right across the spectrum, when you find where the "noise" is, cut so it looks like the picture above.

As was said there are more advanced methods that are more specific at finding unwanted noise.

If the EQ method doesnt work or leaves your sound too thin, then look into the plugins others mentioned.

EDIT: I just reread your first post... So the noise is present through a full song? In that case, the method I suggested will almost definitely affect the sound negatively. If it has vocals, instruments and drums, it may leave the whole song sounding hollow.

Sorry!

Check out the plugins others suggested, they will work (to an extent).

10. vampire

vampire Newbie

yea thanks guys

11. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Algorithmix.reNOVAtor.Standalone.AS.v2.1.REPACK-H2O

iZotope RX2 is amazing. I've already restored files that I really thought were lost. It's an incredible tool, but to reach the best possible result without destroying the surrounding audio material, you will walk across a lot of trials and errors. Tutos can help, but since each case is different they will require different ways to proceed.

12. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

If You don`t have RX You NEED it.

NOW!!

The repair and corrections You can achieve are nothing short of ASTOUNDING!!

BUT.............

The CREATIVE uses are also OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Take a vocal for example, time stretch it with RX and listen to the results, it is truly as tho the Singer has just sustained the note. Total crystal clear sound. The first time I tried it I was floored by the result.

iZotope have to be amongst the most FANTASTIC developers there are. I LOVE `EM!! :hug:

13. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

well...honestly the only way is to get a new recording of what you have without it...I have 12"s that I ripped myself and for some reason, some of them have a high pitched hissing in the background (not very loud but if you pay attention, you'll hear it)...I tried about all software available (RX included)... whenever I really removed the hissing, after comparing the track with and without, I always keep the track with it...you just lose too much!
    if someone is able to REALLY remove that without ruining the audio file, just let me know, I'll send you my files and you'll get my two thumbs up! :mates:

14. smartlad

smartlad Member

Rx does look good, but I think the demo video can be alittle misleading due to the frequency of the whistle and that there is nothing really around it. Could it remove other sounds further down the spectrum (synths for example) without affecting the mix? I'm not so sure :dunno: Cool concept though.

Depending on where the noise sits and what else is around it you might be to slightly improve it.

15. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Waves X-Noise For High end and Waves Z-Noise for the Bottom end

16. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

Hi

I haven't used RX2, it looks great, but I do regularly use Adobe Audition which has a similar spectral editing capability. I work in audio post and spend a great deal of time "repairing" audio, removing unwanted clicks, pops and plosives etc, that were recorded during a live shoot for example. I would recommend using many subtle steps, don't try do do all the "heavy lifting" in one shot with one tool. Try starting with a notch filter and find the center frequency and reduce it by a 3db to start with> Then find the octaves by halfing and doubling the original frequency so if it was at 300hz you can try 150hz and 600hz. Then if you can use a spectral tool, RX or Audition for example, to further reduce the impact of your unwanted sound. You can also try to copy the sound by duplicating your track and isolate the bad sound and reverse the phase and mix it back in for a cancellation effect, mixed results with this technique but worth a try.

Hope this helps

cms

17. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Good advice, thanks.

18. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep thanks about that, never occured to me! lol :bow:

19. NeoSoulja

NeoSoulja Member

+1 for RX2...it's a fantastic program!

I Restored a lot of stuff earlier this year with it that I "thought" couldn't get any better than what I did a few years ago in Audition.

20. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

iZotope RX2 is a great program indeed... I restorted old vinyls with a lot of crackles and clicks in it, and now it's hard to hear that the source was a vinyl record.

Btw, the included pitch-shift algorithm in RX2 Advanced is the best I have come across so far.