Rekordbox - where is the mixer section? and other question

Discussion in 'DJ' started by djf, Feb 29, 2024.

1. djf

djf Guest

Hi everyone!

I am new to Rekordbox and trying to learn it. I have some questions I cant find answers to.

In the newest R2R release I cant find where is the mixer section with EQ and volume fader? Is that release not the full Rekordbox and missing features? Is there another older release that does have the mixer section? For me, it is essential to have the mix section for practicing.

I don't like using "Beat Sync" because I learned on turntables so I am used to doing the push/pull nudge type of beat alignment while mixing, but I do find it is pretty accurate and works well if I am trying to also play live instruments over a song or whatever while a beat (or two) is playing. I have never used the new CDJ decks or mixer, only ones from like 10 years ago, so can I setup Beat Sync ON in Rekordbox and then when I plugin my USB stick the CDJs automatically have sync ON or will I need to menu dive or something to activate it manually on each CDJ?

Also related to that question, where in Rekordbox is the nudge or push/pull jog wheels to manually align beats like when using vinyl records? I only found the pitch up/down nudge buttons which dont return to normal after you hit it, they stay at the increased speed and pitch, or I am doing it wrong.

My next question. When I make a song set playlist and then put on USB, when I plugin to CDJ all songs will show up on all CDJ decks that are linked, but if its the same exact list when mixing songs how to know which song is next in the order so I wont make a mistake and play the same song twice?

Is there a way to assign a playlist or color code each song so when using the CDJs I can easily see something like this below:

CDJ 1 ---- CDJ 2
    CDJ 1/Song 1 ----- CDJ 2/Song 2
    CDJ 1/Song 3 ----- CDJ 2/Song 4
    CDJ 1/Song 5 ----- CDJ 2/Song 6
    etc.... ​

[​IMG]

Something like that. I hope I am explaining it right and it makes sense to someone here who can help me figure out how to do this because I think having a playlist with 200 songs scattered around is just asking for trouble when playing live. I like to find compatible songs and then practice mixing transitions. Also I like to set beat loops and then play live synths along with live vocals, efx and acapellas I make. I am trying to get organized as possible in preparation for live DJ sets.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2024
  3. djf

djf Guest

no dj in here? ... hmm

4. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

5. djf

djf Guest

Thank you for responding, but The reason I joined here and ask these questions is because I have watched tutorial videos but they cant or don't answer the specific questions I asked and the manual obviously wont say whether or not R2R release is not the full version and missing sections and doesn't clearly explain how to do it either.

Nobody here is a dj or uses R2R/Rekordbox? :dunno:

6. stopped

stopped Producer

I'm still using v5 as a legit customer so I can't speak to r2r's version, there are differing views and only one of them contains the mixer, try hitting the space bar a lot (or configuring views)
    beat sync is not on by default you'd need to turn it on each time (or not)
    the tracks in a playlist will show up on every device (if you have them set to, you can set the source of the deck to be the local usb if you prefer)
    playing the same track again should not be an issue as there are several different markers showing the tracks have been played/are loaded in other decks/etc. everybody just works the way down the list and it works well

7. djf

djf Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    So apart from burning CD's and using those (CDJ's do still play CD's, right? haha), it seems like my only option is to use 1 USB stick for each CDJ and have the decks unlinked, and have my songs configured Deck 1: odd/ Deck 2: even as I outlined. If I do it this way, when I plug in the USB stick, I would select Rekordbox on each CDJ (no link) instead of Rekordbox on CDJ 1 and "link" on CDJ 2, right? I saw in a video and have read that if I select USB on each CDJ there is a chance for some errors and missing features because it hasnt been analyzed by Rekrodbox.

As far as the EQ + faders mixing section, I have gone through all the menus several times again and still cannot find anything indicating a mixer section, so I can only guess the latest R2R release is not a full version. I will try the next older release to see if it has it. Without the mixer section I wont be able to practice transitions so its very important to me.

8. stopped

stopped Producer

the newest cdjs dont actually have cd drives, thumb drives are what people use

you'd just set the source to be the thumb drive on each deck, but I do recommend you give up on your plans of splitting them even & odd, it will just overcomplicate things for you

the common workflow is to make a playlist in rekordbox of all of the songs one intends to play and then export that playlist to the thumb drive, all of those songs will then have their bpm/key/tempo stuff analyzed by rekordbox & avoid the concerns mentioned in that video