Rekordbox and the new Pioneer DJ Controllers

Discussion in 'DJ' started by Bunford, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Platinum Record

I used to DJ with turntables and then switched to the TraktorS4 but sold it a few years back and not really DJ's in that time. I'm now thinking of getting back into it but don't wanna go in heavy handed and expensive in case it's just a bedroom hobby for me now and I really have lost interest in live DJing.

I'm quite liking the look of Rekordbox, as it obviously comes with the perk of being ready for most live venue setups if needed.

For a controller, I've been looking at the basic DDJ-RB or, at a push, the DDJ-RR. Anybody use these here or got any thoughts/advice on using Rekordbox?

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Audiosexual

How is that even possible?

4. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i have a friend who still DJs (i used to DJ with him), we used to use old serato sratch live, before itch/serato dj came out. he uses rekordbox from time to time depending on who he is djing with/ venue but as much as he likes it, he still says he likes serato more. maybe rekordbox isn't as good, or maybe old habits die hard.
    either way all these software options are all too good. you can't go wrong- even the shittiest hardware controller/ software combo nowadays is a walk in the park compared to the beloved 12" days.

[rant]
    NO KIDS YOU'RE NOT REAL DJS
    YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED A SELF SYNCING PLESS PLAY DJ CONTROLLER
    IF YOU HAVE ALREADY LEARNT TO MIX PROPERLY
    [/rant]

ps. bunford that wasn't aimed at you, that was just a general old mannish rant

5. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Producer

I think you only need one or the other. If you have Serato I don't see why you would need Rekordbox. Serato can do anything Rekordbox can do an then some. It's been years since I've used either, but I remember prefering Serato much more.

I haven't used either controller, but aesthetically I don't really care for either. Way too many buttons and knobs. I'm old skool too. Just give me eq's, a crossfader and a pitch control.

If I had to choose one I'm leaning towards the RR since it has a touch strip and the controls look good for handling software.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. weavy

weavy Newbie