reFX Nexus: Where do you use it in your songs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Highdom, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
?

What kind of sound you play with Nexus?

1. EDM (Electronic) Leads

2. Real Instrument Leads

3. Layering with real instrument

4. Layering with electro/saw

5. Pads

6. Basses/subs

7. Sequencer/Arps

8. FXs

9. Noises/sweeps

10. Drums

11. Cynematics (Movie) Drums

12. Plucks

13. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi boys, when and where do you usually use reFX Nexus in your projects? What instrument you like at most?
    Comparing with other VST Synths like Spire/Serum/Sylenth1...

3. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

When will this shit end.
    You can't compare Nexus with spire/sylenth or whatever other synth you name. Nexus is a rompler not a synth. It plays sounds and do not create sounds. I really like the pianos in it though. And the holywood stuff is nice.

4. G String

G String Rock Star

Nexus isn't a synth? It's a rompler?

Initially I used it loads as it has great go-to sounds which immediately grab ya. But it crashes like crazy now.......timebombs? It's also huge with a pile of expansions added.

I love trance and Nexus is great for it. The trance gate is good, I used to put it on everything :D

5. Funny you mention it. After my trials and tribulations with my computer and interface last week I decided to reevaluate software that is installed and give the knife to things that I haven't used in a long while, pare it down and lighten up. I didn't even realize that an old old version of Nexus was lurking about buried beneath rubble and scree. I popped it in and instictively went for the pianos like I had in the past, the only darn patches that I ever used. They still sound good to me. The rest of the patches and libraries could disappear and I would not shed even one tear.

6. vector99

vector99 Kapellmeister

i have nexus 2.7.4 with many expansions including all hollywood expansions and i rarely use them , mostly sylenth spire diva zebra2 other stuff

7. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Even if its a long time since i used Nexus i still jsut cant understand why people are giving it shit. It does its work and have some really great patches. When making songs and trying to work fast its a really usefull tool. It can be played with more than one finger to create good ideas. Have to layer other synths to get that sound you look for isnt that good in that creative state. And i dont see anything wrong in comparing synths with romplers. Just as DAWs can do and suit us all in diffrent ways so do Nexus, Falcon, Omnishere, Serum and all the rest. As im dont have time to create and build sounds Nexus does it work just as if im playing my old hardware synths..

But in the end i dont use it since the layer thing makes it either to dominant or to weak to fit in my arragements.. and even if i dont use it any longer i still prefer it before all this wooblebassscreamleadEDM VSTi's that just makes alot of sounds and sound like all the others..

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I've been guilty of giving Nexus shit, but mostly because of what they charge you for a rompler, and what expansions cost. Not a fan of that.

That said, I've never tried it, but Avenger has the Nexus filters and they sound gooooood. Like not really all that far behind u-he.

9. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Nexus has a synth engine in it, but it's hidden.
    You need 2-3 sylenths/spire/whatever to recreate a layered nexus preset. If u have the hd space and the money, it's ok. Synths like Rapid are probably better because of the layers, if u are after the supersaw sounds.

10. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

Yeah I've heared some rumors about that aswell. Nexus 3 maybe ? Or was that eventualy upgraded to what is now called Avenger.

11. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

There's a patch in the Total Pianos expansion called "Dream Piano." I've used that one patch in so many tracks. It's literally the only reason I keep Nexus around.

12. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I use it in all my songs. I use it for just about every synth sound. https://soundcloud.com/claytonsfriday
    Listen to my soundcloud. Every song contains at least 10 instances of Nexus2. I often use a patch in the Bigtone Vol 2 expansion called "strumm this". It's very majestic sounding. But I use all the expansions for something. I find use for all of them somehow. Yeah it's not your stereotypical Nexus2 music (Ie: EDM, Trap, Dubstep, etc). But 92% of the synthetic sounds in my music are Nexus2 complete bundle.
    This on the other hand, is stereotypical Nexus2 music. Lol

This song was made entirely with Nexus2 Expansions "Deep House vol 2" & "Future Bass", along with Vengeance's new synth "Avenger". I was just dinking around with them after freshly purchasing them all at once & in an hour this is what sprung from it.
    How was I able to afford $280 worth of Nexus2/Vengeance material during a time of year where I should be buying for other people? Simple! I discussed politics with my friends & family. I got 2 people left in my life who are worthy of a christmas gift from me - my parents. $25 on christmas shopping? Not too bad for a 23 year old guy with no kids, no girlfriend & attending a university (college dorm life... we know how to save money in the most creative ways imaginable lmao).

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this poll is wrong, nexus doesnt produce any sounds at all, because its just an ordinary sample player in a shiny gui, so that people thinking they buying something nice.

14. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

I use it mostly to layer arps and pads. And often for quick and easy drum loops.

15. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

I bought avenger but the drum sample area does not blow me down. I do not know what to think of it in terms of the sound quality.
    I like it but think u-he is more my thing.

oww btw nexus is going to be deleted from my pc, i need more space and i don't use it that often. I used some drums sound from the nexus but there are better out there ;-)

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I haven't even looked at the drum part of Avenger. I'm sure it's pretty nice, considering Vengeance is known for their drum samples. But damn, I already have Kick 2 and I got Punchbox for cheap on the second hand market. Just not all that interested in Avenger as a drum synth tbh.

What makes Avenger special is how flexible it is. Tons of FX, route shit however you want, 8 oscillators with 7 voices and a chorder on each oscillator (lol), shit everywhere I look there's some thoughtful little detail to satisfy the anticipated needs of sound designers. I agree the filters are not quite u-he, but the Nexus filters have some balls man.

17. AshP87

AshP87 Newbie

If you got the expansions, you can use it for pretty much anything. Sounds great, but very little flexibility.

18. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

oww and the arp of avenger is very nice! Avenger is the more flexble nexus indeed and goes much deeper. Think there will be tons of expansions for it in the future.

19. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Yep. Nexus is a rompler. But what isn't mentioned so far is that the sounds are of excellent quality. There's a harp patch in the classical expansion that is just phenomenal. I prefer making sounds with synths because it is more fun. But Nexus' only real downside is the price. Great instrument for bread and butter sounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Actually the GUI is shit. It is just as lifeless as SampleScience Orion... a free sample player no one has ever heard of but was shared on the sister site.
    My conclusion? If you are going to an ugly sweater contest this holiday season, suggest you print Nexus2's GUI on a blank sweater. You'll win before the contest even starts.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  21. That is EXACTLY the only patch I have ever used. Have a beer on me.