Reduce eye fatigue

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Me2audio, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

Just want to share a small free app that helps reduce eye fatigue if you work for long period sessions with computers, or when you constantly read a lot of pdfs at night.
    basically, when adjusting the brightness is not enough you can try f.lux, it gradually manages the color temperature from the computer screen depending on the time of day.
    the first time i try it i didnt like, but after i get used to it, i cant work at night without it anymore. It has the option to easily disable if you're working on something colour-sensitive (photoshop or video editing programs).

It´s for Windows, Mac, Linux and iPhone/iPad

f.lux

description from the website

[​IMG]

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That's awesome of you Me2audio and let me just say that we're happy to have you in our community. You're always looking for a way to give back and I think that's a sign of an evolved human being. So thanks for sharing with us. :mates:

I can certainly use a program like this because my computer screen and other gear is practically an extension of my body. I always get really bad eye fatigue from coding, moderating, making music and other things.

4. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Cool! I made a slight adjustment (added some warmth). :wink:

5. ELpH

ELpH Kapellmeister

Thanks, I'm starting to think my monitor itself is the real problem with my eye fatigue though.

6. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

@ Catalyst

thanks, i´m very happy to be part of this community *yes* :mates:

more and more we live in a world of greed and selfishness,
    the greed of politicians, those who spend massive resources pushing their agenda, the selfish motives of many wars...
    I just dont *no* belong to those communities.

@ WNz

you can set transition speed to Slow if you want a more subtle effect :wink:

@ELpH

if you disable at about 1 or 2 a.m you will see that it real hurts your eyes, try it

7. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Wow It´s cool! :wink:
    Do you get something for the wrist fatigue?
    Other than wacom table?

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

using since may 2011! on my studio pc and on my notebook. love it.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Logitech Marble Trackball!
    I used to have carpal tunnel syndrome, and the problem went away when I bought the trackball.

A plus is that no one else knows how to use the trackball without looking awkward.

10. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Oh, the times when you'll be able to control your computer with your brain... (Or voice at least) :rofl:

11. davea

davea Platinum Record

Awesome dude ! Thanks a lot very useful indeed !

Cheers

12. muaB

muaB Producer

yaaay! the solution to going to bed too late!

makes me sleepy :)

but has a little bug: i clicked on the preview function fast, like 10 times for some reason and then it actually previewed it 10 times. which took a while...

so there should be a protection that while the preview is running, additional clicks should be ignored. my contribution so far :D

13. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

Just close it, it will be running in the background, so you will not hit the preview :wink:

14. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

:rofl:

3 more options to add to Baxter answer are:

-stretch the tendons and muscles in your wrists daily

-chair with arm rests

and the one that i use (only when i spend too many hours @ the computer)

-Use Mouse with the Other Hand ( it helps your brain as well :bow: )

Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/303374/why-you-should-mouse-with-the-other-hand

software wise, WNz gave the answer :rofl:

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

place your computer desktop next to a window - where you look far away. its really usefull to stretch the eye muscles daily and to give your eyes a rest every 2 hours at least.

16. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Nice one Me2audio, my ageing eyes salute you Sir! :wink:

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I could write an article about the eye-fatigue, because my computers are also an extension of myself, so to speak. Everything I do, I do on a computer, and since early 1990s. My eyesight is still the same. I will give you a "little tip" - I never work with bright backgrounds. That is, my "theme" on the OS is an "inverted" one. I put it in quotes because it wasn't like that in the 90s with all DOS computers around. Then it was the "normal" one. :) I even inverted the look of the theme on my ATARI. It's not just because I like computer "terminal" look, but because it's soooooo much easier on the eyes. So I worked with Cubase with an inverted theme for years, a decade almost. Long time ago, I've read a study that it is so much easier to read and recognise white letters on a dark background, than black letters on the white background. The thing is, people are trying to mimic the look of the paper on the screen, and that's completely wrong. Paper doesn't shine light into your eyes, and you can see the light easier than you can see the dark. Logical isn't it? ;)

That's why I encourage everybody to make GUIs with a nice contrast and white font upon a dark background.

I have a Palm V just for reading books. It's so easy to look at, in comparison to iPad or whatever. Yes, Palm V, guys! Palm III is even better. LOL Inverted colours, so the text is white and background black. It's more comfortable to read from it than from a book actually. :) If you like to read books, find yourself a Palm III, IV or V and enjoy reading books, or playing Pacman or Space Invaders. :) Really. Palm is great!

So I don't need an app like that, but thank you for sharing anyway!

Don't use just a "patch" for something that is wrong from the beginning. However, humans tend to do just that, patching up the wrong, a lot. I'm speaking in the broader sense, of course.

18. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

True, you are right :rofl:

Inverted theme is a good option as well to save your eyes, if someone is interest in trying,

hold down the three keys

Xp and vista

Hold ALT and SHIFT, and press PRNTSC

Mac

hold down the four keys

"Control", "Alt/Option", Command Key and 8 - the 8 in the upper number row not in the number pad

Win 7

Use this App and then use f1 - f10 to change or mix the inversion

or use win 7 Magnifier app , zoom out completely and then in the settings click Turn on Color Inversion

19. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

@Lord Gaga

:rofl:

20. Maarko

Maarko Newbie

Whoooooo thank you!!!