Reduce Avenger Install Size?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by ArticStorm, Sep 28, 2017.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I am not happy to install 5GB of shit i wont use in a lifetime.
    Has somebody found out what i can delete from the avenger factory, but the plugin still loads?

i am planning to use my own samples, but still want to keep basic waveforms.
    Not sure vengeance always forces to install their factory libraries. :knock:

I am not interested in buying a new SSD or HDD, the notebook should remain portable and unchanged.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I think you can simply remove the contents (not the folder) samples in factory expansions. Many presets would spit “file not found error” but that would be all. Then you can selectively delete even more. I don’t know if the basic saw is a waveform in the factory pack, if it is, that’s the only file you need (apart from the folder structure of factory) in order to boot up avenger

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

just install when it ask and remove the stuffer later on should work, but beware , the content also included multisample and wavetables

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

You've got me wondering something.
    I know thanks to our beloved friends we have been given this as an early Christmas Present, but if this synth was over on the vst4free website for example, and given to the masses as a freebie, how many of us would ever bother to install it? I have to hold my hand up and say I wouldn't.

My point is, how much are we filling up drives with (some great stuff it must be said) but that we will never ever use! And you're SO right to question it!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I get what you're saying. Whilst I was learning how to get what I wanted out of this beast of a synth, it dawned upon me that the fiddliness of its GUI is a major pita. Big knobs? Great! But..... er...... the really interesting and fascinating parts of Avenger require a magnifying lens. Major fail imho. Would Michaelangelo have sculpted his statue of David if his hammer and chisels were the size of a toffee hammer and a fistful of toothpicks? Nah. He had dealines, too.

I spend more time zooming in and out of the instrument's interface, merely to drag my mouse pointer with precision, than I commit on creating/mangling waveforms. It's a workflow killer imho.

Having said that, if I were to be perfectly honest, I can knock out an EDM banger as generic floor filler with Avenger quicker than with anything else I have installed. For more experimental work, I would fall back to Serum for its superior wavetable manipulation interface albeit with fewer oscillators.

If it were a vst4free deal, I would be on it like a wolf on a rabbit. Possibly with the same result as the rabbit gets when it doesn't find a way to instantly improve its pace.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. ArticStorm

@DarthFader haha yeah the GUI is crap, because you cant hide things you dont need right now, sure avenger has so many cool features, but overfilling the GUI and make it unreadable is not the way to go.
    when i compare the GUI with Kontakt5, where i can hide features like i want.

about the GUI even people with 1080p displays have problems to read labels, so has vengeance thought about them? No.

well maybe i am overthinking here, but i thought why not give avenger a try and find a way to reduce the size of its factory library, just like i did with Nexus2, where you can delete certain folders to reduce the library to a minimum of the presets you ever use.

i like to keep my plugin and samples folders to a minimum in size, we have to admit less is more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

You say that DF, but ask yourself this. How many of those thousands of freebies have you tried without previously seeing advertising, or people talking about it? I scroll through them sometimes without giving them a second thought, and why? Because the developer hasn't deemed it worth charging anything for, so in my head it cant be much good!

I watched a you tube video a while back about someone who was trying to recreate a track merely by using samples from old tracks and free synths & FX and it made me realise something then. Having every expensive synth under the sun wont substitute for ability and imagination. It was through that I started to thin out what was on my pc and try just to learn just one thoroughly.

And it was something you said which made me think deeply about what I have been guilty of in the past. Something new appearing on the sister site, and boom I had to have it. I realised I was collecting these things like I did badges at school, or comic books, and instead of enjoying and making great use of what I had, I was feeling better about what I had collected, and then went out buying bigger hard drives.

You've made me question it again with your opening question.

And DF? I'm not saying it's wrong it's just something worth considering.

9. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Yup. You're right on target there @Sylenth.Will.Fall
    Recently, I looked at my VST plugins folder and thought, "Hey! I haven't used blah-blah-blah even once in past three years." All of those plugz got sent to data purgatory (external drive) and I don't miss them in the slightest. Next sweep will be the plugins that I haven't used in the past six months.

Why such a drastic cleanup? I got better at making presets that I like with a mere handful of synths. Becoming a master of one synth rather than a mediocre meddler with them all means more smiles per mile per ass-numbing hour in the driving seat. :yes:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Exactly! That's not to say when something special comes along, we don't all feel the same we use to feel when the weekly comic book turned up.

11. vector99

vector99 Kapellmeister

but ssd or hdd now are very cheap why you dont buy 1?

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I can answer that question: Limited lifetime!
    And I'm not talking about technology :cool:

13. ArticStorm

@Sylenth.Will.Fall you are welcome. as i migrated to my notebook from my huge desktop (2.5TB storage - alone 750GB libraries, plugins), i noticed that i only need Kontakt5, sylenth, spire, massive, FM8, serum and valhalla stuff, Eos, sample folder size i reduced to 1-2GB with only hte most important and useful samples.

when something new comes out, i think about how useful it could be, for keyscape - i didnt bother downloading it, bcs not enough space on my HDD and i will never go back to a desktop.

why? to keep samples i will never use?! we have to admit we are hoarders, we download and install to much and then never use it!
    so i buy a HDD/SSD for samples i will never use? do you see the logic behind that?

@DarthFader i worked alot with sylenth1, i made like 4-5 full size soundbanks (128 each - at that point i couldnt even open sylenth1 anymore, i started to hate it), i made 2-3 banks for v-station, Serum i found difficult program, dont why ... at this point i have no idea, if i will ever.
    I use alot albino3, its still one of my most beloved synths, but discontinued - what a shame.

my love is now Kontakt5, throw a sample - field recording or a free sample from the web or a rendered stem from you and then start to drone. i pretty much mastered kontakt on that level, i will never get into scripting or making libraries for K.

i think why not checkout Avenger, but as it was released the huge useless library made me feel alone not so much loving it. (there is tones of that EDM shit sound material in it, its useless for me) - i want to see how Avenger compares with Kontakt in terms of possible drones, ambient sounds. So my idea was to find a way to only have the minimal library with arps, waveforms, filter settings, you know without samples.

14. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

:invision: I just reduced it to zero :bleh:

15. Gnib

Gnib Producer

You can store it on an external drive (that is with the legal one).
    1. during the Import of the Content you were ask where you want to store it.
    2. Later you can specify a new Content Location on the System-tab -> Content -> Content Location. Copy the Content from the old Location the the new Location first. Then just Point to the Folder.

16. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Simplest way to reduce the size is by downloading another library which is smaller and then replacing
    the "Unique identifier for the expansion".

I did it with the "Future Chill" expansion, which takes just ~200mb. Open the included file ".info" with
    any editor and change "UID=some-numbers" into "UID=763165" (That's the UID from the factory library).

You'll find that file in "C:\ProgramData\Vengeance\VPS Avenger\expansions\Future Chill.avxp\.info".
    Now save it, delete the original factory library and run Avenger. That's it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. cEvin Key

cEvin Key Kapellmeister

Thank You r4e you know your way !!! It works without any problem....and i have this done with my own created Expansion
    so the size is......small now
    Thank you again r4e and I hope ArticStorm read this also
    :bow::like:

18. ArticStorm

@r4e you rock, i didnt think about tinkering with the info file. i will try it out.

19. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

oke its like a dvd in size

but even if you dont use the sounds, just give it some space

full workstation synth to explore sound in all kinds of ways

just let them have the space for this killer synth...