Recovering Deleted Files on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Dumb, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

What up folks,
    Ok as you can read in the title i'm living the worst situation that could happen to any producer out there..i just deleted a 400 Gb samples folder accidentally..and i need to recover it so bad!
    I'm working on a Mac Osx 10.9.1 , after copying some folders from an external HD (NTFS) to another i deleted the originals folders,emptied the trash and then i realized that i did a HUGE mistake!
    I haven't written anything on the deleted HD yet.So i think that i can recover the folder.
    I've tried to use Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery but it didn't find any deleted data on the disk :dunno:
    I really don't know what to do..so any kind of help will be appreciated!Please try walk in my shoes and try to understand how important is for me to solve this sick issue!
    Thank's for your attention,
    Hit me back :wink:
    Peace

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

This happen to me on my first MAC but only 5GB so i feel your pain
    Here are my thoughts
    Snap i just realized it a MAC thread, sorry but if on PC i would use tuneup undelete if would recover 100% of the files deleted and some if no other info was added to the disk

4. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Thank's for your attention,i can use it on windows..i have both platforms..so u think that with tuneup undelete i will recover my folder?The point is that i want to recover the whole folder and not the singles file splitted..cos they are billions..

5. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Yes if you can slap in a windows platform and run tuneup it will recover all those files/folders(it tells what they are) just pray none of them are over 4gb might give you trouble

6. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Ok unfortunately the most are over 4Gb..so think it won't work :dunno:

7. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

there shouldn't the most i seen in .nkx file format was 3.91GB you should be good let me know if you need help finding tuneup :wink:

Ps. I just deleted a library (backed up)on purpose and undelete recover all files no problem i'm really sure it will work for you

8. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Ok..I'll make a try tomorrow..cos' now i'm using the advanced scanning in stellar phoenix which is a Mac software similar to tuneup...and it takes hours to do it..
    Thank's for your support! :wink:

9. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Cool, I'll be awaiting your reply :wink:

10. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i Did the same with my Cubase .cpr Song files hard drive and i Had to take it in to the Mac dealer were i bot my Mac and they recovered only about 90% of my song files and it took all that Day and i had to pay then 50 dollars :dunno:

11. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

I have an option like that too but it's my last one....thank's for your attention :wink:

12. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

stellar should work for you ... there are other apps too (can assist if required) .. ill keep my eye on the thread.. u might do best to recover on pc due to the way mac defrags.. GOOD LUCK!

13. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Ok stellar finished but the files that it found are not the ones that i'm looking for..can u please tell me what's the best way to use stellar for my needs?
    I even noticed that when i choose the option "data recovery" Stellar doesn't find any deleted files on my HD which is pretty weird..i still need help!

14. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

How did you manage to do that?
    NTFS drives are mounted read-only under OSX Mavericks, so you cannot just delete folders except you have hacked the settings.
    If so, you're right, make sure you do not use the drive until you are 100% sure how to recover data, but unfortunately, when you empty the trash, you have already written new data on the drive. :(
    If the data is really important, i would personally connect it READONLY to a Linux or Mac and use the "dd" commandline tool to first make a 1:1 drive image. You can then try to recover files from the image on a different drive without the risk of destroying tha last traces of your deleted files.
    Better ask a recovery expert on the topic, NTFS can be tricky to recover.

15. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

I could do that cos' i'm using "PARAGON" which is an app that allows you to read write and delete on NTFS HD running on Mac Osx.
    Anyway the data is Fucking important to me and i must recover them.
    Think tomorrow i'll go to a computer shop that i know where they can probably recover my data and it will cost around 50 Bucks at his best.
    I would even try to make 1:1 drive image like u said but i have no idea how to make it :dunno:
    Thank's for the support anyways :wink:

16. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    The 1:1 copy is made using Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a freebie. It will create a .dmg with an exact copy of your drive. It takes a long time to read it, but it does create an identical copy. I recently tried to recover some files with Disk Drill, but it didn't work out as expected. I hope you find a solution. Let us know how it goes.

Peace.

17. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

And use this as a learning experience if you get the data back or not!
    Always have backups!
    Stuff you can't live without, have several, you may think it's not worth the money spent... until now!

18. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Just got back from the Computer shop,the fellas said they will be trying to do the possible to recover my folder but they think is going to be hard to recover it entire with all its sub-folders which is what i need.And it is going to cost around 100,00 Euro.
    So i'll be waiting for their response.
    I will let you know..
    PEACE
    Of course i will use backups next time but first of all i have to quit smoking weed while managing files :rofl:

19. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Sorry just woke up on the couch and have an early start... im surprised stellar didnt find anything
    Are you sure you deleted and not over wrote?
    try http://www.cultofmac.com/67472/how-to-undelete-files-in-mac-os-x-macrx/
    google is your friend here... do some searching and reading ie undelete mac etc
    you could try discdrill www.cleverfiles.com
    or getbackdata for mac
    or check out download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Data-Recovery/3000-2248_4-75337845.htm
    another tool is remo recover or maybe even encase...
    sry need to get back to sleep, big day ahead but then i have a day off and could help you some more..

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING HERE IS - DO NOT write anything to the drive, remove the drive until you are ready to use recovery tools (to avoid mac auto defrag), recover the data to a different disc than the one deleted from... there are lots of other tools out there that might help, ill post some more tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK

20. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

Thank's for replying anyways..
    Now i'm stucked cos' as i've already written earlier..this morning i went to the computer shop by my house and i left there my HD.
    So i will let you know in few days if anything went fine. :wink:
    Peace

21. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Any updates on what happened????