Recording my amplifier using this setup to Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by onyap3593, Jul 19, 2024 at 5:20 PM.

1. onyap3593

onyap3593 Newbie

Is it possible to record my amp using this setup???

LAPTOP: MACBOOK M1
    AUDIO INTERFACE: M-AUDIO 192/4 AIR (1 XLR-INPUT, 1 INSTRUMENT INPUT)
    AMPLIFIER: ORANGE CRUSH 20 (NO SEND/RETURN)
    MIC: SHURE SM-57

Diagram

To visualize this:

1. Electric Guitar connects to Audio Interface (Instrument Input 2).
    2. Audio Interface (Instrument Input 2) connects to Laptop (Effects Simulator ONLY).
    3. Laptop (Effects Simulator) sends the signal to Audio Interface (Output Right).
    4. Audio Interface (Output Right) connects to Guitar Amplifier.
    5. Guitar Amplifier is captured by a Microphone.
    6. Microphone connects to Audio Interface (Line Input 1).
    7. Audio Interface (Line Input 1) connects to MacBook.
    8. MacBook uses Logic Pro to process the signal.

3. No Doz

No Doz Producer

Best Answer
    so if i'm not mistaken, you're essentially looking to use your laptop as a quasi pedalboard before hitting the front of your amp, correct?

the two issues that jumped out at me:

- any stereo effects you might want to use (stereo reverb, ping pong delay, wide chorusing, etc) aren't going to sound "correct" when sending them through output R and back out into your amp. prob good practice to only use mono effects at that stage and then save any stereo stuff for post-processing after your guitars are tracked

- during step 4, unless you can figure out how to manually control the audio level that's leaving your interface, you may want to stick some sort of reamp box between your interface and your amplifier. guitar amps really like to see a signal in a certain impedance range at their input and feeding it a signal that's much higher or lower than what a guitar's normal output level would be can have undesirable consequences for the sound of the amp circuit

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

You are creating a bunch of pain and suffering for yourself, over recording the amp. But first, I think you have probably "ruled out" about 7 out of 8 guitar players on the board by asking about this with Logic in the thread title. It doesn't matter what DAW you are using, but most guitar players on here are using PC and they do not know Logic. If I played guitar, I would buy a PC just for the guitar work. But that is because of R2R iLok releases. :winker:

If you made your thread about REAPER, you would get pages of replies. It will be the same basic setup in the DAW of your choice. The hardware setup is the issue for you to figure out. The Logic portion of it will be a piece of cake. (or you could do it in REAPER anyway).

I do use Logic, and if I had to set this up some way, somehow; I would record everything but the amp directly into Logic. Then I would use the Amp as I would with any other external effects processor. We often call this a "Print Loop". You are just using a microphone for half of the loop. The audio is sent out of Logic to your amp, in this case; the microphone records the amp on a new audio channel.

Or you could also try doing the whole thing in REAPER, and then just drag the audio back into Logic as a stem. It would give you a chance to learn REAPER as well, if you wanted. The reason I say this, is because of how it handles recording effects on the way in. It might make it easier for you.

Maybe a solution for you would be to create profiles of the amp to add with Proteus or NAM.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024 at 11:01 PM
  5. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Is there any reason why you want to have this setup specificially?
    Since the amp is not "top shelf" I would probably just do the whole signal chain on the computer and send the end signal into the cab.

I know that is not the original question but I would rather try to use VST's to get a great guitar sound.
    You have to spend quite a lot of money to get a really amazing tone that compares to VST's in my opinion.
    The only point that makes real gear good is actually the cab but with Tools like Bogren IRDX it's pretty much the same.

6. onyap3593

onyap3593 Newbie

Me and my brothers have a garageband (literally a band that's playing in a garage) with some basic amps and gear, I don't have any physical pedals. I just want to record my playing when performing and hear my processed sound thru an amp at the same time.

7. No Doz

No Doz Producer

another concern is that you might run into a latency problem trying to track this way ^

you'll often get a a delay of a few to quite a few milliseconds when trying to heavily process audio with effects, especially when using sends and returns from your interface. this delay between what you're playing and what you're hearing will most likely be exacerbated by use of multiple computers and make it hard for you to physically play

trying to compensate for all of that across multiple cpus while playing live is probably gonna be difficult to sort out. if hearing processed effects in the room while tracking is your main desire, i'd probably recommend just grabbing a cheaper / used multi-fx unit that has a ton of built in-effects you can stack. run your guitar through that and into your amp and then mic as normal while playing. it's a simpler battle tested solution, and will probably save you a lot of time and headache in the process. a dedicated reamp box and all the necessary cabling for your initially proposed setup would probably cost you more than a serviceable secondhand multi-fx would tbh

it's really cool you get to play music with your brothers, make sure to enjoy it. good luck!