Recording MIDI in/out

Discussion in 'Education' started by Sheb Shabadoobeedoo, Mar 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sheb Shabadoobeedoo

Sheb Shabadoobeedoo Member

Hi y'all. Im looking for some "explain like I'm 5" style instructions on how to record MIDI data direct to .wav, Ive found some tuts online, but cant seem to make it work. My hardware is AKAI Advance 49 and MPC218 drumpads. I'll use whichever DAW is easiest, almost got it going in FL20 and Studio One 4. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

There is no way to record MIDI data directly as a wav. You'll need an instrument (virtual or real) with an audio output to record a wav (audio).

MIDI data contain information about the note's pitch, velocity, aftertouch... but no audio data, sorry.

4. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

The midi data when recorded in a track as No Avenger said, can be exported from the DAW to a wav file in your HDD.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sheb Shabadoobeedoo

In FL20, I was recording EZ Drummer straight into a .wav file. Meaning i by passed having to make a midi file and then render it to a .wav. It went from my MPD218 into edison or the playlist. Only trouble was it also recorded the metronome. Im trying to isolate. Maybe im not explaining myself very well. Thanks for your input. What does midi out fucnction do?

6. Sheb Shabadoobeedoo

Maybe i should have asked the best way to record VSTs then?

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

MIDI out sends the MIDI data, it was invented in the pre-usb area. You can also connect it to a hardware synth. Controller MIDI out -> hardware synth (expander) MIDI in and play the synth with your controller (for instance use controller pads for synth drums/percussion in case it has no pads).

Record vsti: Render, bounce ex- and import track, depends on what your DAW is capable of (and how it's called). But export and re-import works always.

8. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

If you put it this way, I don't see what's the problem.. please look at the vid (it's easier for me to do a fast screencap than writing down every step). Is this what you are after:

Yellow is MIDI, green is audio. Of course if you leave the REC button on on the VST track it will record the MIDI data too.. which is what we usually want. The wav file is created as soon as you stop recording. Just open the folder from pool (right clk) - watch the vid..;) In fact if you close the Studio One w/o saving it will ask you if you want to delete the files...

Same for Live. Just turn "Resampling" on on the audio track.

Mind that I'm not going into what's happening behind the scenes here