Recording levels / Individual track levels before mixing.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by rootwits, Mar 17, 2017.

1. rootwits

rootwits Producer

Hello guys,

I would like to know at what level do you guys record your tracks / set your tracks before you start the mix.
    I have researched this topic on the web, and found some good information, but i would like to know how you guys are doing this.

Here is what i found:
    1. Analog hardware works at a standard nominal level, that level is +4dBu, where +4dBu = 0 VU = 1.228V.

2. In the digital domain you have to translate that in dBFS (Decibels relative to full scale):

+4dBu = 0 VU = Your converter's calibration (ex: -18 dBFS).

Every converter is calibrated differently, most of them are calibrated between -16 dBFS and -20 dBFS, i use -18 dBFS because it's in the middle of that.
    Note: Keep in mind that VU is a avarage measurement.

Here are some tutorials, if you want to find out your converter's calibration:

Here is how i'm using this:

I use Klanghelm VUMT plugin as my VU (Volume unit) and PPM (Peak programme meter) meter.
    Similar plugins: PSP Triple Meter, zPlane PPMulator XL.

I open 2 instances of VUMT on the master channel (solo each track when ajusting level's):

1. First one i set it to type EBU (PPM) and a calibration of -12 ( Test = -12 dBFS).
    2. Second one i set it to type VU and a calibration of -18 (0 VU = -18 dBFS)
    3. If i'm recording i set my preamp level so it hit's the calibration on the plugins.
    4. If i'm mixing i will ajust the volume of each item so it hit's the calibration on the plugins.

[​IMG]

Why do i use a PPM meter?

Not all audio material can be set 0 VU = -18 dBFS, for example kick's, snare's... percution (fast transient material won't register on the VU meter, or register very low like -10) will clip if you try to set it to 0 VU = -18 dBFS. So i have tested some audio material like vocals, bass, guitar..., ajusted there level so 0 VU = -18 dBFS and found that most of them are peaking at around -12 dBFS (+ or - 2 dB), that is what i use for fast transient material.

Why should you care about audio level's before mixing?

Analog modeled plugins are calibrated to -18 dBFS (avarage level), and sound better with proper audio level going into them.

Example: Waves CLA-76:

About the Modeling:
    Many different elements contribute to the unique sonic behavior of analog gear. Waves painstakingly modeled and incorporated the characteristics of the hardware into the CLA-76, in order to fully capture and replicate the sound and performance of the original equipment. The hardware was modeled at reference levels of –18 dBFS = +4 dBu, meaning that a signal of -18 dBFS from the DAW to the hardware unit will display a meter reading of 0 VU (+4 dBu).

View manual: http://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugins/cla-76-compressor-limiter.pdf

Hope you guys like my post, and please share your opinion. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This answers a few questions I had in my post earlier this week asking about levels. Really informative! :bow:

4. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i drop in a mixtool as first insert in daw and dial in a good -10db so i can drive my comressors/tape sims harder