Recording AUDIO in Win7 with ASIO

Discussion in 'PC' started by G String, Jul 21, 2011.

?

Win7 is good for Working with Sound?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Noo

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. G String

G String Rock Star

Win7 has somewhat improved sound architecture, it seems.

However, using ASIO most audio apps that utilise it take total and exclusive control of the sound.

When I use either (cheap) CREATIVE or ASUS cards I have real problems recording audio.....for example in Fruity Loops.

Results seem inconsistent: toggling "listen to this device" on microphone inputs has variable results. Often I get wild feedback, or simply no audio recorded at all.

It's very confusing - whether to record from MIC or from "What you hear"/"wav".

Can someone explain how to do it, properly - for a complete idiot/noob, please? (Ideally - how to record acoustic guitar through a mic, into Fruity, using Asus soundcard)

TIA

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

In Lieu of my good interface, which went tits up on me, R.I.P... :( I am also using a Creative Asio card temporarily.

You should have... in the Audio section of ur DAW (Fruityloops).. a "control panel" section for your creative card.

This controls your overall latency for that card... set it high, then slowly come down as u re-record using different settings.

Once it starts crackling, you have gone too low. Never use 'what u hear' in a DAW, as it will record... everything playing thru your card.

Use Mic, for any incoming signals from a microphone, and make sure to choose this also in ur input settings for any track you record on. Also make sure 'Mic' is chosen for reecording purposes in windows sound control panel

Usually it will be Input 1.

Finally, make sure you have the correct drivers for your OS from either Creative.com or one of the "support packs" offered up online for creative products. (Google)

Creative cards absolutely have to have the most up to date drivers installed.

Cheers.

4. Upsagain

Upsagain Newbie

With FL Studio you will find ASIO4ALL driver! Use this! :bow:

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

ASIO4ALL doesn't work as well as native creative drivers... I assure you. :wink:

6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

poll added :wink:

7. G String

G String Rock Star

Thanks for replies. They didin't quite address the question, but maybe that's my fault, perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear.....

Anyway, I've retried and managed to get (FL) to record audio via MIC. I hadn't fully disabled the ATI audio which comes with their gfx cards, and ASIO seemed to have been using that (for input). lol. Now it's fully disabled, I can assign the correct input in ASIO panel, and also set a mixer channel in FL to the stereo MIC input. So my original issue seems sorted.

However......recording audio seems quirky. IF I choose a channel in the mixer, and add an effect, then select the Input as ASUS xonar (stereo or mono) then record......the audio is processed through the effect, and then dumped to a new channel, with no mixer channel assigned, but with the effects already recorded. Which means I can't alter the effects after recording....only add more. I can't retrieve my "clean" unprocessed recording (guitar)

Do I *have* to record my sound clean and absent any effects if I wish to later add or alter effects in the mixer? I would have thought it would record the audio clean, and then process it through the effects.....not process the effects then record the processed audio. I mean, it dumps the audio into an entirely new channel with all effects already applied and therefore set in stone - whereas I want the effects to play as I record, but I don't want the recorded audio to have the effects applied - I want it to record what I am playing, before the FX are applied, so I can change them later - though I want to hear the effects as I record, so I know where I'm at.

hehe - I dunno if that's clear. Any feedback much appreciated.

*Using Xonar and ASIO4all 2.1 btw. Much higher latency than Creative, shame, because otherwise ASUS is much better imo.

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I forgot to ask if your creative card was an ASIO... im assuming its not if your using asio4all.

make sure you are using an insert effect on your track, insert effects are non-destructive and dont print to the recorded track and can be modified or removed anytime.

9. Upsagain

Upsagain Newbie

You can use MIC in on more than one channel in same time. Those two audio cards are not for this kind of work -> be happy that you can record at all :wink:.

10. Upsagain

Upsagain Newbie

Creative labs is company for gaming sound cards, they make excellent pro audio cards under other name “EMU”.
    In FL studio you can’t “freze” like in Cubase or other DAW’s so it will be recorded “what you hear” if you listen (monitor) only this track. They do not have proper solution for that and monitoring. More over there is no control for hardware monitoring so if your audio card support this and this option is on you will record mixed raw signal with processed. All the time you have to be aware that FL is only an good toy *no*

11. G String

G String Rock Star

Ok - so, if I record with mic/linein on one clear/empty mixer channel, can I send that to another mixer channel that does have effects, thereby hopefully getting result I want (recorded clean, but effects playing in real-time and non-destructively) ? What's that called? Submix? or...?

How do i do that in FL? If anyone is desperate to help, please jump in? ;)

FL a toy? Well, it's complicated enough! lol And my musical ability is.....child-like. :D Likewise for my budget. I wish the sound quality was better, that's about my only real gripe with it. And this odd recording behaviour, course.