Recordin Audio and Midi at the same time

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Delfinx4, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Hello this question is for ppl who use to record audio and midi at the same time in logic x. I am a song writer and I use to record one software instrument (piano) together with an audio track (my own voice).
    The problem comes when I try to "punch-in on the fly" in both audio and midi tracks at the same time. The midi track keep playin the previous notes while I record the new ones. Even with Record Preferences set to Replace for midi and audio.
    It is weird becouse when only the midi track is record enabled, no audio track involved ,the punch-in behaves as expected .

3. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Anyone?

4. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

I do not know if it could be resolved through preferences settings. But simply recording the audio on another device seems the simplest way to solve it.

5. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

What do you mean with another device Vayabahia? I am using the Mac audio interface only. Explain please.

6. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

Another device that records audio, such as another computer, phone, or tablet etc...
    You can also just record the audio on different tracks of the piano and voice, and then you will get the midi piano track.
    (disculpa mi inglés).

7. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but probably the answer you deserve

Use Ableton, you can record midi and audio independently.

Cant imagine that not being possible in Logic, but if its not, simply use ableton to record then snap it back into logic

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I armed recording on both midi and audio track by holding command and pressing the R on each track. Then recorded the microphone on audio track and the midi keyboard on midi track.

Then pressed play and at a certain bar pressed record (so punch-in) and played some notes and logic behaves according to the settings: when preferences set to replace it replaces the old midi with new midi, when set to merge is merging the old and new midi.

I can't reproduce your issue on Logic Pro X 10.3.2

9. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Thanks so much for your inputs guys, I also think Logic can't be that bad with such basic tasks and I can't figure out what's the problem with my system that make Logic to behaves that buggy no matter what Logic version I am using. I can only think on my midi interface, I use an old USB Emagic MT4 which is nowdays discontinued by Apple so there are not driver updates since 2010 if I recall. That's why I want to know other users experience before get a new Midi interface.

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You send the MIDI to IAC Bus and you can aggregate audio card input. If these operations are possible I doubt there is a problem with your hardware.

11. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

:dunno::suicide: This gonna drive me crazy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  12. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

This old thread from "Logic Pro Help" forum confirms the behaviour I experience punching-in on audio and midi track at the same time. Altough it is related to Logic 9 I wonder why I keep suffering the same issue in all Logic versions.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65256

13. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

My proposal to solve the problem, despite being a bit rustic, was destined not to interrupt your creative flow. :yes:

14. Delfinx4

Delfinx4 Newbie

Hello vayabahia , can we talk in private here? I don't know if this board allows private messages .So I could better understand what you are trying to tell me .(Yo hablo español tambien :no: )

15. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

Te mandé un mensaje