Recorded in stereo with a mono mic and now im lost

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Kuuhaku, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Well, half year ago I recorded a vocal and closed the project, today I've re-opened it and when I was mixing, after using a mono plugin I just noticed that when it goes to mono, the sound goes too low (-29 db), I tried to just use an limiter and "compress" all the volume up again but when I do this I can hear a strong noise coming from 4-16khz
    But I am sure that I can fix it to go in mono without issues because when I play in stereo it doesnt sound like theres one channel only playing, it sounds really normal, but when I use a mono plugin to turn it into stereo the sound get too quiet, can you guys help me??

upload_2020-1-8_17-27-57.png < Sound when played mono

upload_2020-1-8_17-28-33.png < Same sound when played in stereo
    Link to the file>

https://we.tl/t-K9UHqXQJqx

3. fuad

fuad Producer

Wait you said you're using a mono plugin to make the sound stereo? Or are you trying the stereo sound mono? A screenshot of the plugin you're using to make the sound mono would be useful for troubleshooting the issue. Also in the recording it kind of sounds like some phase switch was done. Not sure, but again a screenshot of your plugin would help.

4. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

upload_2020-1-8_18-0-1.png I am using L2 (a limiter from Waves) to turn into mono
    I mean that I recorded in stereo (setting to record: Stereo) with a MONO microphone
    Normally I should have recorded in mono considering that I am using a mono microphone

5. DSP4LiFE

DSP4LiFE Kapellmeister

phase cancellation.

why are you recording vocals in stereo anyway

delete one channel and use it as mono is the quickest escape for you my friend

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Thx, found the solution by repeating L channel two times using this plugin

7. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

8. crematorium

crematorium Member

i just registered to the forum to help you out.
    i'm gonna explain you how i fixed this problem so next time you won't need help:

step 1. make the audio "true mono", which is different from standard "mono" because of phase cancellation problems. (this explain your huge drop in volume)
    step 2. use a fake stereo maker processor (example Ozone Imager or even an ultra short delay between R and L channel - care of phase cancellation)

i made 3 variations to your vocal:
    vocal mono - it's not completely mono to make it sounds more realistic, but it contains very little stereo information
    vocal skrillex trap spread - modern spread for trap vocals
    vocal skrillex trap spread (wider) - same processing as the previous one but 25% wider, useful for chorus parts.

please notice that volume/peaks/harmonics might be slightly different from the original because everything was processed thru analog gear.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/54ebge3etu8lryh/kuuhaku vocal.rar?dl=0

hope it helps

9. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

thank you, they sound really good :D