record a riff, loop it, and then play solo lines on top

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by fraggle83, Mar 13, 2012.

1. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Hi Mates!

Some years ago i watched a video (or it was listening to a record?!) of a Weather Report Live show where Jaco Pastorius recorded a riff,
    loop it, and then played solo lines on top of the repeating riff (the song was Slang). Some years later watching a Guitar Rig demo video i
    saw the same with someone using a pedal and the tape from Guitar Rig. Today i was watching West Coast Theory documentary and in 08:30 (curious
    enough the name of a Weather Report record) Jelly Roll is doing the same ... recording, looping, playing on top, recording, looping, playing
    on top with no need to spend any time recording one track each time and then looping and then record another track and so on.

Now, the questions are:

(1) How can i do the same ?.
    (2) Do i need some special hardware or it can be done by software ?
    (3) If it can be done with software, which software and how ?

What i would like to do is not loose the slightest contact with ideas that flow from my mind, as if i was recording on the fly pushing only
    a button to record/looping instantly using either a mike, a soft synth or a guitar (i.e. using DAWs only to really record the whole idea).

Thanks in advance for any answer!
    Kind Regards! :mates:

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ fraggle83,

At my knowledge, it exists some Stompboxes (or pedals) that can handle that job. *yes*
    Roland & Digitech have made gears in this way... but I don't remember their exact names at this moment... :(
    For Roland, it should be something like "Roland LoopStation (?)"... and for the Digitech, I really don't remember the exact name right now !
    If you make some "deep" searches with Google, you'll certainly find even more gears that can permit you to make your wishes come true ! It certainly also exists some softwares that can do the same.

Good luck ! :mates:

P.S: A last joke : For really make the same as Master Jaco... you should to be him ! and this another story... :rofl:

4. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

every looper can do it,if u feel like trying a free looper try mobius

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ fraggle83,

Here we go...

As previously mentioned, here you have at least 2 very "PRO" LoopStation Stompboxes : Roland LoopStation & Digitech JamMan.

Roland Loop Station : http://instruments.thefind.com/instruments/browse-roland-loop-station

Digitech JamMan : http://www.digitech.com/en/products/jamman
    (Unfortunately discontinued... but maybe you can find some 'second hand' on eBay or similar)​

6. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

WOWWOU!!!!!!!! THAT'S IT!!! THAT'S IT!!!!! AND NO NEED TO CRACK ANYTHING! :beg:

Thanks a LOT duskwings, you've made me the happier person in the world tonight! :break:
    Thanks a LOT once more ... I will be grateful to you the rest of my life! *yes*
    I'm so excited that i think i will not sleep tonight! :wow:

I leave now, i'm going to buy the Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller the fellow mate uses in the video below! (hope it will be compatible with Mac)

7. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Thanks a LOT to you too Studio 555, overall to take your time to search the info and post the links, thanks!

Now, i've visited the Digitech JamMan and it seems a must have ... 6.5 hours of recording! ... Why they discontinued ?!?!
    Of course i will look in eBay to see if there's any and how much it costs. I will also look carefully Roland stuff to see
    what they have ... even if unfortunately i don't have so much money to spend (that's why i felt so happy when duskwings talked
    about the existence of mobius).

Ah! Master Jaco ... Do you remember Teen Town ?!

Thanks once more! ... Kind Regards! :mates:

8. Jessycd

Jessycd Noisemaker

Discontinued because Digitech made 3 new JamMan : Solo, Stereo and Delay !

Shit I didn't know the Roland was that expensive !! Lol

Anyway, good luck ;)

9. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Thanks for the info Jessy!

I've seen the specs from JamMan Stereo and it seems quite good ... and 250 euros is not too much expensive. I'll see.
    By now, however, i think i will give a try to Mobius + my Novation ReMOTE ZeRO SL. I've been reading the manual and it seems quite complete.

10. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

Hi again,

As i know quite well (by own experience) that many (some) people could arrive here looking for the same thing i was requesting
    i post two videos about an answer i had by private mail to my request ... That Ableton Life 8 has itself a looper plugin! *yes*

Hope this can be of any help.