Recommendations for music production school - Vancouver Canada

Discussion in 'Education' started by barf, Sep 21, 2023.

1. barf

barf Newbie

Hi, I am looking good music production schools in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Any recommendations?

My son is currently in grade 12 high school and is interested in producing music.

His music background:
    • Had private piano lessons for 3 years before stopping due to Covid lockdowns. Now has about 6 years of playing.
    • Very fast learner at piano - always played by memory before learning to read sheet music, and within 1 month he was playing Beethoven's Fur Elise, and two months later he was on to other music pieces by Richard Clayderman.
    • He has 20+ piano songs committed to memory (Many Richard Clayderman, NCS, Alan Walker, and Yiruma) and has even modified them to fill in more keys and they sound great.
    • He as also created several of his own piano compositions.
    • Self taught himself how to use FL Studio and created many compositions.
    • In grade 11, he was in a special music production program and where Ableton is emphasized, and while he initially said FL Studio was more intuitive to him, he has adapted well to Ableton and it is now his preferred software for composition. The music program can be taken in either grade 11 or 12, as it is same class for both grades.
    • The music program connected him with a previous student who is now a full time music producer, and my son is working with him as part of a mentorship like program.
    • He is now in grade 12, and repeating the same music production program, just because he wants more experience and the school counselor agreed that while he probably won't learn anything new, he would gain more experience and would be an asset with helping the teacher with assisting others with learning Ableton and general good music composition.
    • My son is continuing his mentorship with the same music producer he had in grade 11.
    Sorry for the long background summary, but thought it was relevant info.

Anyways, I am looking for recommendations for good music production schools in or around the Vancouver area. My son says Douglas College and Simon Fraser University are two schools he knows has music programs. Does anyone have any knowledge how good or bad these schools are, or if there are other schools we should look into?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023