Recommendations for a good sub VST synth?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What do you guys use for a good sub sound?

3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I use IK multimedia modo bass with lowleveler and lowair and saturation for my 808 sub.
    doesn't actually qualify beeing a 808 but they get identified as such and got balls.

reason for using a guitar sim is because I find it easyier to dial in some saturation

4. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

Any synth do the trick bro, if you know sound design you can do any kind of sub bass in any synth in seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

I like a nice sine wave sub. I use the Spectrasonics Trillian "Arp 2600 Sine" quite alot. Don't use the "patch browser" in Trillian to find it, use the "soundsource browser" Synth Bass/Arp 2600/Waves - Classic Sine,

Mono,
    voices set to 1. High cut at around 100-200Hz . Low cut with gentle slope below 40Hz, you still want some of those 20-40Hz, that's the territory where you feel the bass rather than hear it, in a club. If the sub and kick are clashing sidechaining is lazy, use an EQ. Creative sidechaining is fine..do whatever sounds good to you I guess. I usually low cut the kick about 60-70Hz subtle boost around 100Hz if punch is lacking. 40-60Hz is the zone for sub, so E1 to A#1, choose the key of your tune wisely.

I always keep the sub bass pure, no distortion or saturation etc but will blend subtly with a low cut, lower volume 2nd layer (usually 12 or 19 semi tones above the sub) with some saturation/distortion to add any harmonics in the upper frequecies I might want (so the sub is audible on cheap speakers/headphones). If you do want to saturate or distort the sub bass itself, use a multi band fx so you're not messing up the sub frequencies.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

What kind of subs are we talking about? I generally use any synth with a sine wave and good envelopes. But tools like KICK 2 and others are also useful depending on your use (drone sub, impact sub, etc).

7. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

The kind that make your trousers flap in the breeze :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I use samples. Find something unprocessed that sits in the mix well, naturally, then go from there. Sometimes I'll use Saturn or Devastor to add a little touch of saturation and distortion in the 250-500 range. I've also found from personal experience that subs between the keys of (D# up to A) produce the most resonate bassy sounds between 60-200Hz.