Recommend midi keyboard for beginner

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by jxilliam4, Jan 28, 2022.

1. jxilliam4

jxilliam4 Newbie

I'm looking to get a medium to smallish size midi keyboard. The Akai Professional MPK Mini MK III looks good as far as features but I don't want to get something that is low quality. It would be nice to have some velocity-sensitive pads built-in for tapping in beats, and some mappable sliders. Hoping to stay below $100. Does anyone have a favorite?

3. rage

rage Kapellmeister

Nektar Impact LX25+ 25-key Keyboard Controller | Sweetwater

The best at that price point. If Sweetwater is out of stock, Amazon always has them, usually a bit cheaper.

I have the Impact LX88+ and love it everything about it. For a budget controller, the pads are amazing. The LX25+ only has one fader, but I'm assuming you can rotate tracks to control as many as you want with it. My 88 key has 8 + 1 master fader, and I can cycle through (first 8 tracks, next 8, etc., unlimited tracks)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

AKAI Professional MPK Mini MK3 Gray - 95 €
    M-Audio Oxygen 25 MK5 - 99 €
    Nektar Impact LX25+ - 99 €
    Alesis V25 MKII - 79 €

6. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

The LX25+ is what I have/use, and it's been great for me. I'm not really trained in playing piano. I'm self trained to the extent of being able to fumble off what I need to do. Could never do something live, but can play well enough to record ideas and fix those later. The LX25+ is perfect for that!

To the OP, I would say, if you have the space, grab a 49 key keyboard of some sort, but if not, LX25+ is still great. It would be nice to have just one more octave, but I make due.

7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

The only advice I can give you is to buy something with at least 49 keys. When I bought my first MIDI controller I thought that 25-keys would be more than enough since I didn't play keys, but I realized very soon afterwards that 2 octaves is not enough to play pretty much anything -- even if you are a beginner. Most 25-keys have tiny keys as well, so if you have large fingers (like me) they will be very difficult to play on.

8. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

i agree, I’m not a keyboard player by any stretch, and whilst 25 keys are fine for note input, it is still a little limiting. That said, if space and budget are an issue, you can’t go wrong with the Akai MPK Mini MkIII. If it’s just budget, maybe look for a used 49 key or even a 61 that is the previous generation of what is current.

9. jefft

jefft Producer

I was thinking along similar lines but using two midi keyboards, I currently have a Arturia minilab, which I find fine, as I use programming notes rather than playing notes, I was contemplating buying a small keyboard such as the Nektar se25 and setting it up purely for bass notes, or chords if and when I do use two hands, but Im not shure which mini keyboard to choose as yet.

10. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

Yes! Nektar Impact LX25+!

11. tori

tori Platinum Record

the Nektar Impact is the best one if you want full sized keys.

12. poly

poly Platinum Record

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

14. nebjake

nebjake Newbie

I bought this Akai Professional MPK Mini MK III and it's will help to get everything need as a beginner in one package. 25 velocity-sensitive keys. Knobs and pads included. Lots of free resources.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  15. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

[​IMG]
    also very nice:yes:

16. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Man, that Nektar mini is sure tempting, even though I own an LX25+. Much smaller footprint. I wonder if they'll make a 49 key version (or better yet, 37) at some point that wouldn't be too much wider than the LX25+. That would get me thinking. I'm not sure how well my untrained fingers (meant to indicate it's less important) would like the smaller keys. I also wonder about the joystick, how that works in place of pitch and mod wheels. I use both a fair bit.

Other than that, it seems to be a nice way to free up some more of my desk space, or jump back to a 49 key keyboard (if they end up making one).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  17. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

Launchkey 37 MK3

I own it for almost 2 years now it is awesome no issues compact portable size
    I recently bought a behringer MODEL D with a MIDI cable you don't even need a PC or a MAC
    It can do everything (Standalone) if you have an analog hardware synthesizer
    It has a very cool built in arpeggiator with "Deviate" and "Mutate" parameters which can create awesome MIDI grooves/melodies
    It has fixed scale mode (if you have zero knowledge you just select a scale start to play and you will never sound "fake" you'll stay in key all the time)
    It has fixed chord mode
    Best controller for Ableton Live (and it comes with Ableton Live Lite and AAS Lounge Lizard with full licence amazing Rhodes piano)
    Also if you have Novation Bass Station VST it has full integration with it oh yes and it also comes with G-Force Minimonsta VSTi (miniMoog emulation)

The current price is a joke and it's an absolute steal under $200

18. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

19. recycle

recycle Guest

Honest review from a customer

M-Audio controller:
    They do not last long: I had 2 different keyboards and both had problems with fake midi messages (customer support believes that the issue is due to dust). I don't feel like recommending them

Nektar controller:
    LX series doesn’t quite match with Ableton, Nektar provide a basic custom mapping, but it is not 100% compatible. LX is a perfect match with Bitwig. Customer support is responsive and very kind though

Novation:
    I have been using a SL Keyboard for a while and I feel I can recommend it

20. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

Well, try all in your favorite shop ... and decide&buy