Recommend an Interface for PT 12 AudioUtopia

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Ricren, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ricren

Ricren Newbie

Hi, The title says it all. I currently have an HD 1 system, very old but also very stable. But with PT 12 is a no go form now on.
    I was going to upgrade to a new Avid hardware system (Mbox or PT HD native) but I'm reading a lot of bad news about layouts at Avid (mainly ProTools R&D teams!) so I think is not a good time to invest strongly in Avid. But still need at least one working PT system.
    Can you point me to a NON Avid audio interface with at least 8 output channels (input could be 2ch), with good stable drivers for Win and OSX ? Not very expensive.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Large input/output count in top-notch brands like RME, Apogee, and Apollo are very expensive. So if that kind of money is an issue, I'd go for the new Focusrite Clarett series or some MOTU interface. They are rock solid and people in here constantly go back to them when discussing interfaces. Presonus and other brands have gotten mixed reviews whenever a new thread revives this topic.

4. Ricren

Ricren Newbie

Thanks for the data. I really like MOTU products but they use to have some driver problems in windows.Is this still the case? I still have an old 828.

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

I'd say plug it in and put it up to its paces. Pro Tools is compatible with any interface. However, coming from an HD environment you're going to miss zero latency. Based on this, you might like to check out the newer MOTUs that have DSP effects for zero latency monitoring.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

Try RME R2R version it should work fine.

8. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

So what is RME R2R version?!?!?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  9. luki3

luki3 Member

10. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

I own and use several RME devices (PCI, PCIe Firewire). And to make the jump to higher level than RME means shelling out a whole lot more bucks. Incidentally I Googled RME and there is no R2R connection in at least the first 20 pages and I wouldn't waste my time going any further

11. zeppo20

zeppo20 Noisemaker

Windows 7, firepod FP10, error, the old focusrite saffire legacy works very well.

12. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I currently have an HD2 rig for tracking, an Ensoniq PARIS rig for mixing, and a new i7 5820K Studio One rig with an Audient iD22 interface for production.

I suggest 3 different tools for 3 different directions with PT12, all under a grand:
    If you need the best drivers for vsti, go RME Babyface Pro.
    If you need stand alone with inputs, go SPL Crimson.
    If you need the best quality converters and by-passable preamps, go Audient iD22.
    Research all 3 yourself.

IMHO, all three of these interfaces are tops in the under grand price point.
    FWIW, the Audient converters are better than anything under 3K out there, they smoke the Digi 192's all day.
    As always, to each their own, and best of luck in your interface search.

13. Ricren

Ricren Newbie

Guys, thanks for all the data.

@will: the Audient looks nice. Can you tell me if the 6 analog outputs can be used as a 5.1 stem? Have you used it in Pro Tools? My concern are the driver compatibility with PT.