Recommend a VST for widening a track

Discussion in 'Software' started by OffshoreBanking, May 22, 2024.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

We're talking about software, not hardware:rofl:Please put your feet in the stirrups and just relax!

[​IMG]

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2894/

[​IMG]

2. ClarSum

ClarSum Member

Been using Mathew Lane DrMS for about a decade. Phenomenal plugin.

3. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

Thank you for your recommendations, maybe I should just post my music here to get advices on wideness and loudness.

Here is a collection of 10 snippets from tracks I am in the process of revisiting and deciding if they are worth finishing or not, some are short drafts some are more evolved.

Please keep in mind that there is zero EQ or compression on these as they are just demos and I'm trying to focus on sound design and elements working together. I just like to make music, I have very limited skills in mixing so this is just basic gainstaging.

Mediafire
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/4h2p7i52dign37d/Offshore_Banker.zip/file

Proton Drive
    https://drive.proton.me/urls/0FNKWKPGD4#ieFkWooq9dY5

I am pretty isolated in my interest in electronic music and doesn't get much feedback except from my friends, girlfriend and family so I would appreciate more experienced producers giving me advice and constructive criticism. If you just stumble on this post, feel free to chime in.

I am looking to develop a professional relationship with a mixing/mastering engineer so if you like what you hear shoot me a DM ! I would love to push my music to it's full potential (if there is any to begin with) :rofl:

If you are friend with a member of the forum that could give me good feedback and advices please tag him :wink:
    Sorry if I tagged you and you don't have any interest in electronic music.

Please listen at a reasonable volume :mates:
    Thank you, peace and love.

@Lois Lane
    @clone
    @shinyzen
    @Djord Emer
    @sisyphus
    @ArticStorm
    @Sayan B
    @Synth Life
    @Melodic Reality
    @krameri
    @evolasme
    @Choosename
    @aymat
    @DJK
    @DontKnowJack
    @Xupito
    @MrLyannMusic
    @Garamondo Furbish
    @thedarkbird
    @BlackHawk
    @angie
    @score
    @tom foolery
    @Zenarcist
    @eXACT_Beats_
    @Shiori Oishi
    @Bassifondi
    @Emma Evi
    @triggerflipper
    @ClarSum
    @Demloc
    @No Avenger
    @SAiNT

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

5. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

@Lois Lane I just sent you a DM

Anyone having problems downloading ?
    For me it's up and at 6 downloads currently :dunno:

6. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

X4 have great potential, definitely work on it, reminds me little on this

X3 is probably my favorite, love that lead and whole retro feel to it. :thumbsup:

If you really want some mixing advice's, post some music that is finished and you gave your best shot trying to mix/master it, but at this point, you are better off finding producer or collaborator/partner to finish off this ideas, then worry about mixing/mastering after you got finished demo's ready to be taken on that last step.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Tone Projects Basslane free or pro might be something for you...

8. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

violated terms of service for me too

9. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

Haha, nah, I forget people don't know me, so I'll pop some shit and then realize that the humor that's in it doesn't translate. :rofl:
    But, with that said, I'll try my damnedest to offend here—concerning your left-field band mention? Surfer Rosa is a more stylistically cohesive album than Bossanova. If you disagree, I'll see you at dawn with pistols at ready. Your move...

This is something that seems to be overlooked in recent years (or, under-mentioned, at least,) and opens up some useful possibilities. Also, the L/R don't have to be mono signals. If you have a sparse mix and want to fill it out a bit, two stereo signals that are narrowed (I use DMGAudio's TrackControl for fifty different things, this is one of them,) can fill in as much or as little of the stereo field as you want... if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

NO argument from me sir. :)

11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I disagree, and as the challenged am afforded the right to choose the weapon so employed in the duel...and I choose...bog rolls! I am a master at the art of soft paper fighting and you stand not a chance in this silly endeavor. Name your second (mine of course @Xupito)and we shall make arrangements for your early demise...or, you have the option of withdrawal with the penalty of kneed apology. The choice is your's. I suggest the later.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Kapellmeister

With that kind of ammunition you're surely bound to widen your crack... I mean ... track :dunno:

13. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

@Lois Lane
    @macros mk2
    @angie

I have updated my post with a link to my Proton drive for people that can't access the mediafire link !

@Melodic Reality thank you for your input :) I'm glad you liked X4 and thanks for the comparison to the Charli XCX track !
    X3 feels like the most advanced and "acceptable" idea to me aswell at the moment.

I'm looking for a vocalist but I guess it's hard to meet the right people at the right time.

Still, is my basic gainstaging acceptable ? I have trouble judging the sound quality of my music compared to a "professional" release.

14. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Sincerely I'm not even picking on that in the early stages, I heard your tracks for what they are, ideas you want to work on further, heard nothing strange that ruined my experience, so it's good enough in my opinion.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you are comparing yourself very early on to something that is fully mastered and few people worked on it in different stages, probably one made a beat, another did production, then they gave it to mixing engineer and finally sent to mastering, so plenty of people had a go at it until it sounded the way it is, lot of fine tweaks contributed to the final product. Sure, some decisions you make early on contribute to the overall picture, you will learn eventually how to make your life easier, what you can expect in different stages and just run your track through its paces. It's like some ordinary girl comparing herself to photoshopped IG model or celebrity, then when you see them on the streets without all of it, reality hits different.

Avoid putting cart before the horse, decent production will not break your track, not having same wideness or whatever, especially in the early stages, proficiency comes when you finished so many tracks and know beforehand what some struggles would be, so you try to avoid some mistakes that will make your life hell at that point. Good sound selection and arrangement is half the job, but all of that is just turd polishing if the music doesn't work even in the rawest state... and all that is even less of an issue if you don't have full arrangement laid down. Some loop works great for few seconds, but making a full blown track out of it is the aim, make listener engaged for the whole time, have something that could be arranged and sound like a proper track.

So yeah, if you want this to be about production or you are focused on that aspect right now, let's do that on track that is finished and you hit the wall, spent weeks mixing it and polishing, then we can suggest what can be improved and revisited, but when you throw few sounds together, it's just not realistic talk, neither you tried or you are even in that stage. You can polish few elements, make them wide and great, but still your track needs more elements and context for those, so yeah, it doesn't matter how your elements work without context, because when you add more elements, you will need to rework everything to fit together, again. So don't lose your sleep over it, don't let that discourage you from working and finishing music.

15. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

@Melodic Reality
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to my music and giving me valuable insight, I appreciate it a lot :mates:

16. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Ultrasonic

dont forget to insert speculum vst in the input channel as well as the output channel if you're the type

17. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

Someone in the (mad) real world saw this and asked me why I mentioned Nugen's Monofilter and not the Stereoizer. I actually own, and use both, he simple answer is that in the initial question, it says "[...] I was hoping for a tool that would save me some time [...] and I've met more than one person who thought that Monofilter was too complicated to wrap their head around, so I figured Stereoizer might be more of a hurdle than a help. Not trying to say you're not smart enough to figure it out, @OffshoreBanking , I was just going for simple, which is why I mentioned the three that I did in my recommendations (I still stand by my belief that Monofilter isn't anymore difficult to understand than Mongoose, it just looks that way,) and also why I didn't mention Voxengo's MSED, which I also use often.

When it was released, I was curious why a plastic-looking hunk of *cough* ... why Spread actually sounded nice, no issues. I assumed DJ Swivel wasn't some scripting wizard (I judge books by their cover because that's the purpose of books covers,) so I looked into it. Turns out that Thomas Fiedler was behind it, known for Fiedler Audio, who make solid stuff; incidentally, he also lent his talents to bx_rooMS, which makes sense since his Stage plugin is hosted by Plugin Alliance. So, that clears up that mystery.

Better men than you have plotted my demise. But, you've put me in an awkward position. I was planning on having @Xupito as my second, not because we're old friends from decades past or anything, but because his name fits amongst two in a duel to the death. Well... if he's joined up with you, I'm going to have go with @The Pirate , simply cuz it's gonna distract the hell out you when that bikini top drops.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

U can try the "Boom Library StereoLab v1.0.0-R2R" from sister site.

19. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

for my style i liked the ideas of x2 and x8. x3 and x7 seems the most filled out.

ps lots of good answers on here for plugins, generally i try to get any width for my track taken care of in the arrangement/mix with panning and reverbs/delays. i add a little stereo spread with tone projects michelangelo on the master

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  20. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

@macros mk2

Thanks for giving a listen my guy, means a lot to me :wink:
    I'll try to demo Michelangelo on the master, never heard about it until now, GUI looks very clean, thanks for the tips.