Recommend a chorus plugin that doesn't stink

Discussion in 'Software' started by freefeet12, Jul 15, 2021.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

yeah, I know UAD is pretty good at analog modeling. I thought about it many times. People praise their plugins over at gearslutz, or whatever they're calling themselves now, and thanks. I have plenty to check out thanks to everyone that's for sure and I'm learning of a few developers/companies I've never heard of in the process so great thread overall for me.

You know, I've never looked into UAD's "accelerators hardware" but without looking I'm guessing it cost a buttload of money just to run their plugins.

2. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

There are so many available probably several hundreds it comes down to your own needs and taste in sound for myself I use the ERS Dim-D chorus and Soundtoys MicroShift Chorus, but then I also own several Chorus pedals like my old 80's era BOSS DC-3 Digital Dimension, an ARION SCH-1 Stereo chorus and a few other oldies from Ibanez, Electro Harmonix etc. Allmost all chorus plugins and pedals have sound differences so you have to try and find the ones you like the most for yourself as everyone hears differently, so what I or anyone elses likes might sound like crap to you.
    Have fun trying several out, you will eventually find the sound you want. A little hint sometimes chaining a few into each other along with a phase shifter and flanger can create amazing results.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i swear on ableton Live's take on a chorus. It just gets the stuff done the way i like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Especially the revised version in Ableton 11 is crazy good. Anyone who uses Ableton actually needs no third party solution!

5. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I never used it for simple chorus stuff, but it's great for sound design.

6. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

No, I didn't want to offend you. I just wonder why did you recommend this particular plugin.

The OP described himself as a very demanding, or even picky person when it comes to chorus plugins. Yet, you recommended him one of the worst chorus VSTs.

Here are the problems that I observed using CVoice1:

- It seems to play without a lag, but (at least in Reaper) it shows 1000 samples of latency.

- There is no wet/dry control! Unbelieveable in a modultaion plugin.

- The rest of the controls (Detune, Speed, # of voices, Stereo) are pretty standard in dozens and dozens of other chorus plugins.

- The only innovation is Voice Saturation, but it only saturates wet signal. When you mix it with dry signal (unfortunately not inside the plugin itself), the results aren't convincig = I mean they don't resemble good old hardware units.

- There is something wrong with stereo control - moving it introduces some unpleasant phase issues (not associated with traditional chorus effects) and alters the color of sound.

- The plugin eats memory. When added to an FX chain it slowly takes more and more RAM. A few times I left it unattended for a couple of hours and it took up to 10 GB of memory.

- Last, but not least: No presets and the starting preset/state not really usable (strong vibrato, only wet signal).

Certainly, I would not recommend CVoice1 to anyone, at least in its current version. Maybe the developer will iron out the issues in the future, it looks that he is new to VST dev at lacks experience so far.

Meanwhile, there are PLENTY of good, FREE chorus VSTs. Many of them have already been listed in this thread, but I wolud also add OSL Chorus by Oblivion Sound Lab - it's very simple and it has that Roland/Boss vibe.

*Many years ago I had the Boss CE-3. Since then I am very picky about choruses, just like the OP.

7. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

@Piszpunta Maybe you can forward these grievances to the developer, which would be a useful contribution? I did not recommend the plugin, I said it looked promising! My wording implied, that I haven't tested it yet. So thanks to you for assessing the plugin, it seems it does not deliver.

8. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

But you mentioned it in a thread titled: "Recommend a chorus plugin that doesn't stink". :)

OK, case solved. :)

9. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

A question to the OP:
    Do you intend to use that chorus plugin mostly for guitar or mostly for keyboards?

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Both and then some. No more than the other. For guitar, one sound I'd like is that classic Roland Jazz Chorus sound ITB. I've tried the usual amp sims for this :suicide: That chorus would also likely work out with 80s synths, depending on the sound/patch of course. It does for me in the hardware world anyways.

Not a plugin but I've been trying to get a better idea of what the TC Electronic June-60v2 sounds like, in other words, I wonder if they fixed it. I guess Arturia's Juno chorus is going to be the closest I'm going to get with a plugin, at least according to the internet. I'll run it through several samplers to see how that works out but at that point I might as well use hardware chorus. Derp. Still, I could run those through a sampler too just to hear what happens.

That said, I'm still going through all of these chorus plugins, if possible, eventually to see what else I like.

I'm also going for some 80s bass guitar sounds ala The Cure, Tears For Fears, ect. So I have to research those guys and find out what kind of chorus played a role in say Just Like Heaven's bass, for example. If that's what it is. Sounds familiar.

So yeah, chorus, chorus, chorus. :yes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Someone might be wondering just what the heck I'm doing. Basically I'm recreating my hardware set up ITB as best as I can. It's just super convenient, much quicker workflow for me initially. The closer to the real thing it is the better because when I'm more or less done ITB I recreate it on my hardware, wherever possible, and that's what ends up on the track. I don't have high quality dedicated hardware reverbs, for example, so when I need that it's all ITB.

I've always use hardware samplers for certain sounds & drums in electronic music, so I actually went through the trouble of sampling literally thousands sounds through my samplers so I can use them in my software sampler. It was a crap ton of work but totally worth it. Now, for the most part, I just load up in an instant and go. My samplers ITB.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  12. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Re: Roland Jazz Chorus... That's a fantastic sounding amp and the chorus is the icing on the cake. Just wondering if you've tried recreating that particular chorus sound with an impulse response library for the amp and then trying different chorus plugins? Also there are probably different impulse response libraries for that particular amp so quality will probably vary.

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Yeah, it's definitely how I'm going about it.

14. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

15. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

16. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Have you considered modular fx?

With a BBD & LFO for modulation you can create anything from a basic phaser, flanger or chorus. Adding more BBDs & some other carefully chosen modules the world of sound is your oyster.

17. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

As in analog hardware modules? (since you mention BBD) If so, I'm covered on the hardware side.

18. triggerflipper

There are virtual modular instruments that allow you to create custom effects chains with extreme flexibility.

19. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I'm aware. I use Bitwig, but no I haven't tried to build a chorus effect in it's modular environment they call The Grid.

20. triggerflipper

I was thinking of VCV Rack. If you're familiar with modular interfaces, definitely give it a go. There are like four thousand billion modules out, and some of them are direct emulations of hardware (by direct I mean the code is imported with the manufacturer's consent).