Recommend a chorus plugin that doesn't stink

Discussion in 'Software' started by freefeet12, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

Next time before writing a post, wash your feet, especially in the heat. ))
    Fuuu, and air out the studio.

TC 1210 (plugin or hardware)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

TIL why Steve Duda put those Juno "chorus noise" samples in Serum.

3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Let me drop a hidden gem on you: Fiedler Audio Stage

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Tritik chorus is my favorite

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Wait what?! That Softube emu actually does this?!?! :woot:

I seriously need to take a look into this as other Juno emus, as good as some of them sound like, don't.

6. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Why would you need THAT behavior in a plugin?

7. Karate Grownup

Karate Grownup Producer

Exponential Audio Excalibur.
    TC Electronics modulation plugins.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The D16 Syntorus is pretty good

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

To emulate a Juno properly, of course. It's part of the sound.

See previous answers about this.

10. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

laundramatr.jpg
    Easy find in any serious thrift shop. Important: with porthole opened, check that both your ears pass through simultaneously - the chorus effect is best perceived in stereo. The plug-in feature requires 117 V in USA, 235 V in UK and Continental Europe. Plectrums are automatically collected and stored inside the rubber door seal, where most of us players retrieve their socks from as well.

11. triggerflipper

I understand noise as part of the sound, and AFAIK all plugins allow you to mix noise in. I was asking about the need to have noise when the plugin is not in use. Otherwise you could just create a new channel and put a noise generator and have analog magic throughout your project :grooves:

12. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

What about TC Electronic SCF Steroe Chorus Flanger? - I have it both hardware and as a plugin and it sounds and works brilliant.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. triggerflipper

I tried the Antares Avox Choir with my guitar.
    Doesn't work with chords, but when playing single notes, I liked it quite a bit.

Also dig Fuse Audio Labs' Chorus-65. Never played with the original pedal, so can't compare.

Another "outside the box" chorus-y effect is Wavesfactory's Cassette. Adds very interesting phase artifacts when not 100% wet too.

14. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Ok, this is getting off-topic so I'll bow out after this one.

But you'd be wrong, a noise source/oscillator (which is subjected to filters and envelopes etc.) is not the same as the noise generated by the chorus circuit. I did post in the previous page on how to mimic this (synth + noise -> chorus), but even then this is just an approximation.

The way you interact with the Juno chorus is that you have two circuits, I and II, both generate slightly different kinds of noise, and then you can switch both of them on at the same time leading to a third kind of thing.

It really is an inherent to the way the whole instrument works and sounds. If a Juno didn't work this way it would be a fairly average analog poly.

15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I use the SKnote DDD Dimension Chorus. It works for me and I'm a chorus snob of the 1st degree.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  16. triggerflipper

Ok, this is my last off topic answer too then :yes:
    You're probably right. I haven't studied the Juno chorus architecture. And my suggestion was tongue in cheek, I'm aware it wouldn't sound the same.

My original question (why would you need THAT behavior) was regarding the "noise still going even when plugin is not in use" thing. Surely you could keep the noise emulation intact, but have an option to auto-mute it when not in use. A lot of plugins do that, Wavesfactory's Echo Cat and Cassette are the first to pop in my mind.

Anyway, back to choruses.

17. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  18. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Why do you think that CVoice1 is promising? It has 1000 samples latency. :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

I'm a chorus FIEND and I have absolutely no problem with plugins. Some work for some tracks, some dont - hardware is like this too you know? When I had a real Juno 106 for instance, I often felt the chorus was great on some things and on others it would be either too much or whatever the issue was. Modulation sounds are something I'll spend way too much time picking out to find just the right vibe for a track (delay too).

Also sometimes you have to process a track in a certain way (outside of the chorusing, that is) to make it sound more "chorused". Like I often associate a dreamy spacious chorus sound with being pretty clear in the upper mids and treble, so I help the track by pushing it that way. I might widen/narrow the stereo field with another plugin after the chorus to make it sit right. Or I'll add distortion/saturation/tape - or even just some noise if I like the time based part of the sound but maybe the tonal part isnt delivering. This stuff is all bespoke when we need it to be. The tools aint gona do the job for me lol. You gotta wrestle it into shape and that's part of the job.

Plugins I like these days are the Arturia Dimension D (this one is great, lots of color), the D16 one, Magic Switch or Super VHS by Baby Audio, there's tons of them. Once in a while I even still use the built in Digital Performer chorus plugin that was coded literally over 25 years ago haha.

One other thing, you mentioned that you don't want to buy in to UAD. I totally get that and they often piss me off too. HOWEVER you should know that there is a reason they are like that. They're snobby because they usually do deliver on plugins that behave more in a very analoge like way. There are other companies that do this too but UAD is often one of them. Annoying maybe, but that's how it is from my POV.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHORUS SEARCH

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Thanks for trying to ridicule me. Why I think it looks promising? Because it has an interesting set of parameters in one package!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • List