Recommend a budget monitor

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by dr.evil, Mar 21, 2017.

1. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

Budget: $300 - $400 max.
    Room size: Average

Thanks.

3. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Yamaha HS8

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

If you're into diy, look up zaph audio.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Sindroid811

Sindroid811 Member

Gonna go for JBL LSR305 myself.

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. recycle

recycle Guest

If you could raise budget to $700, my advice is adam a3x
    but, for $400 I reccomend yamaha hs5
    jbl? dont buy that crap
    krk? no way

Go to your local store and listen with your ears: you'll agree

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

He said 400 max lol . No brainer recommendations like Adam or Focal or Genelec are pretty much useless.
    But lemme get it straight. You recommend a 5" yamaha hs over a 6" krk and jbl is crap ? KRK 6" is industry standard for almost 30 years. JBL LSR for 25 years. You 've been in many studios ? Hello ? Sorry but the only crap here is the new Yamaha shitty - practically bassless speakers, which bare no acoustic resemblance to the classic NS10 but the white woofer. If anyone of you recommending this pos has ever made a mix on these that plays well on any other system, i 'll be glad to hear it, and will declare to stand corrected. Geez...
    Ps: Surely you have the right to your opinion, but is it more valuable than the official reviews? Sure what do they know, right?

9. TK

TK Member

Your best options probably are:

JBL LSR
    KRK Rokit
    ADAM F5
    Yamaha HS7

All in your budget, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. The Focal Alpha 50 would have been in that range too,
    but they recently raised prices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

Interesting. But I think it will take a lot of knowledge to set up a high quality system. Great for a hobby though..

11. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

LSR 308s look perfect.
    Does anyone have any experience with them?

12. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Presonus Eris is in that budget too. But I haven't use any of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

It's a fine monitor. Although -as many others- i prefer mixing on 6" woofers over 8" any day, unless they are high range Focal or Adam. (10" and further larger is a different story, mainly because after 10" you are stepping into the subwoofer category). Whatever you choose, even the -imo pos- yamaha hs series, i suggest you listen thoroughly to them. And by all means have a cd or usb stick with music that you are really familiar with and can expose the strengths and weaknesses of the speaker. The best practice, would be to visit a large store which has many if not all models and do a face to face A/B comparison.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Have the KRK's got harsh highs to anyone's ears? I've got a pair (Rockit 8's), and I think they sound fine to my ears. Just wondering what the more experienced ears take on it is. I saw on a blog a guy said he'd replaced the tweeter driver with another and had some improvement on the high end.
    Oh, +1 for KRK's. I love mine!

15. shomyca

shomyca Producer

My previous boxes were Adam A7s, 400 eurs used. Would do it again and again.

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I work mainly with a Focal Twin6 pair+ Focal sub 6 , but i also have KRK 6" and 5" , Dynaudio BM6A, JBL LSR6328 and Yamaha NS10 and a couple of others too. Prior to my Focal system i had Adam S2.5A. I find the Focals superior, at least comparing to the up to now Adam range.

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Many times people are biased towards this and that. Proven fact by so many recording artists and studios, is that these cheap KRKs have a quality which -imho- is above all other,even some more expensive- speakers in this price range. They "translate" very well when you take the tracks you mixed and play it anywhere else. Meaning that their weaknesses are (subjectively of course) the least obscuring from the finished track you have in mind. Surely it is not the best speaker by far, but in this price range i would even put it against the similarly priced Adams when it comes to the real deal, which is studio mixing work.

18. digitaldragon

I was using a set of M Audio BX5's prior to the KRK's. Always had low end translation issues with those. I got the KRK Rockit 8's and the 10" sub thinking that I'd definitely be able to hear the low end clearly and wouldn't be pushing it too much then. Turns out I don't even use the sub while I'm mixing, just the satellites (got the switch which bypasses the sub and passes full range to the tops). I'll give the sub a listen, occasionally just to check low end, but don't really work with it on. Biggest help for translation problems (was struggling with the high mids for awhile) was some modest room treatment to control reflections in the "sweet spot". I plan on hooking the M Audios back up just to have another set of speakers to sanity check against the Rockits with. I also use the oldest computer monitor speakers I could find to sanity check against. Nothing like a cheap set of playbacks to hear what the rest of the world listening on crappy systems is going to hear!
    I'll have to see what my buddy that sold me the KRK's updated to. His new one's sound awesome, really tight. I think they are Focals, but wouldn't bet on it.

19. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I wouldn't say exactly that, I do however find them lacking in the stereo image. compared to other monitors I used.

that,- and the lower frequency's of most of the krk's are "different" in my opinion,
    I can't really explain it well but it's hard to define how the "pressure/presence/energy" of the low end "translate" too to other systems

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

21. digitaldragon