Reciprocal Mentoring

Discussion in 'Collaborations' started by reziduchamp, Apr 21, 2022.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I get that, but I guess you missed what I am trying to say without typing a book.

Very few people who are good enough are available out there to help you. You do not want to pay anyone to outright help you, and they would probably want silly money if you were to pay. So that rules that out too.

Anyone good enough will probably not be that altruistic with their time. The reason why they are good at what they do and not answering your thread is because of their effective time managenent skills.

That leaves about 1 option in my opinion. Otherwise you are both wasting your time. And I think that may be the thing you need to overcome to adapt to your situation, musically. Time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

LOL... Didn't load up but the write up is funny

So true about Therapists... Why is all the shittest stuff the most expensive :D

3. ironmother

ironmother Ultrasonic

I read this entire thread with great interest because I was like you, OP. I felt like I was just missing someone who was just like me. Someone who was willing to partner up and invest a lot of time and energy into the same passion project. I was hoping I could grow with said person, musically. And we'd be 'off to the races' So, I went looking for these people. Mostly on Discord music collab places. What I found was utterly disappointing. I found people who I thought were speaking the same language but when we went to actually collab we could not gel *at all* Infact the person I ended up working with simply took my material and just went the other direction by adding messy, clashing guitar and not needed drum parts. When I went to explain why it wasn't working the other person seemed offended and wrote less often. Eventually they would respond to me with sentences like "yah I get it" -- it then became painful just to log in and see that.

So in the end all I did was distract myself and both of us wasted our energy. sadly.

The truth is that what you seek is so hard to find I would liken it to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

It doesn't mean you can't look from time to time. You still might find good collab partners... but hanging your hopes on it is not advised.

Note: Sorry I meant to quote the OP. my bad xD

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Cheers for this. Yeah brilliant thoughts and observations. I think you might have nailed this actually, I'll have to try and figure this out... Its probably a case of just writing the stuff down and delete it if I haven't read it for a few days, because its never going to get read...

I feel the concept as well, what I'm actually looking for in help and the likelihood of someone else in the same mindset being out there, with enough ability to give the advice that I need, whilst needing some kind of help... It did feel like a long shot really, but I thought it was worth trying at least

My thinking was that a lot of these 'high achievers' or whatever, Entrepenuers usually I believe, seem to have their own Coaches or Mentors, which they pay a shitload of money for, so it feels like many people probably need that kind of thing, but its unlikely I'll get back what I have to give... And like you said, in the end it comes back to that most important thing - time....

So yeah, thanks for your thoughts and harsh reflection. I'll have to figure out a way to use Notepad regularly in a way that I don't step over it every morning. Reminders become part of the furniture if I don't act on them immediately. I think if I've stepped over it twice (or switched windows) ... which is where it probably needs deleting then, but the act of writing it makes me run it through my head... So that's the motive :)

Right... I need to build a new habit of talking to myself then... :D

... Think I might have figured out the best way of doing this as well... Sending emails to myself as a daily reminder... I think this might solve it... Cheers clone

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

> Focus <

6. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Thanks for reading all of it and being interested... I found my solution in the post you quoted from clone and I wrote myself an email already so I'll see if this works out for me....

As I said above, I do tend to get a lot out of helping other people in reflection of giving advice, so it might actually be in my interest to have a look at helping you with some feedback, advice, mentoring stuff if you are interested, even if you don't have anything to offer in return. Its probably worth giving it a go from my perspective and see where I get...

Thinking about what I've written today, if I'm asking you a bunch of questions about your vision, the sound you want etc, that alone is going to get me reflecting back to my own tracks and change my perspective....

There's this weird thing where listening to my own tracks on the laptop I can hear what's wrong, but on the studio headphones I just can't tell. Seems to just be a shift in perspective and a different mindset, probably more relaxed among other things maybe?

I'll drop you a message if you're interested

7. ironmother

ironmother Ultrasonic

Sure, I mean I always like meeting other musicians and hearing what they are working on. Feel free to write.

8. waverider

waverider Rock Star

You could start with watching some tutorial series about the genres and subjects you're interested in. One cool thing about the 'sister site' is that it allows you to quickly get an idea of what content is generally the most appreciated. Search for what you are seeking and then sort by rating. The top ones might be good starting points in general.

Besides getting 1on1 tuition, you could consider joining a few Discord servers. The community feel on those is a bit more pronounced than on a forum or message board. Look up some servers of larger content creators that are active in the genre or space you are interested in and go from there.

Finally you could check out some producers' Patreon pages. Some of them will offer tuition and feedback in the higher priced tiers.

Generally though if you can't or don't want to pay anything, you'll have to stick with tutorials and maybe quick and easy questions on Discord servers until you can or want to afford tuition or mentorship. Also if any mental health related issues are dragging you down, you need to start fixing those immediately, because it'll seep its way into anything you do.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  9. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Didn't know about that search option...

Cheers for the ideas

10. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

You've got some good things happening with punchng and kicking

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2023