Recent R2R Setup Executables Not Running - Workaround!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Duamutef_MC, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Duamutef_MC

Duamutef_MC Noisemaker

Hi all. I've recently had at least three cases of R2R setup executables not running. They've been:

UJAM Finisher BOOST v2.1.1-R2R [WIN]
    iZotope Ozone 10 Advanced v10.4.0-R2R [WIN]
    iZotope Neutron 4 v4.4.0-R2R [WIN]

I've tried doing the following, without any luck:

- disabled Windows Defender
    - started the executables in Safe Mode
    - installed the most recent C++ and .NET redistributable runtimes
    - renamed the executables or tried running it in different folders
    - asked in this forum and received mixed feedback (most had no issues, some alleged problems starting the setup procedure)
    - checked a few infamous torrent leech websites; all methodically avoided these releases - only in one case the plugin was available but with a different hash

The Workaround

I believe the issue lies with a bug caused by Wise Registry Cleaner (specifically its system improvement registry changes!) and Windows SmartScreen, for which the security prompt (it should theoretically show a window recommending aborting the installation) is inhibited.

The solution - a laughably simple one - is to run the executable from the Command Prompt, i.e. press Windows+R, type "cmd" and then go to the right folder and type - for example - "Plugin v1.0.0 R2R.exe"

And, voilá, the executable works.

I hope future R2R releases will be able to avoid triggering SmartScreen antivirus heuristics - they're normally successful in doing so.

Apologies to the ones I've angered with my previous post, it was vitriolic for no good reason, and this community (expecially Bobdule and Xupito) has always been quick to provide help. There are a few toxic outliers, but I'm also guilty of being an insufferable asshole from time to time, therefore all is forgiven.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I never allow registry cleaners to actually do anything, but I will use them for discovery only.
    The general consensus is that they are too risky for little or no space saving or performance improvement.

Nice tip about running from command prompt.
    Although ... having to do that indicates a problem that might be best to remedy if possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Duamutef_MC

Duamutef_MC Noisemaker

I've reformatted my system. Turns out the Registry Cleaner wasn't the culprit. I now suspect some adware/malware was included in a cheat engine I downloaded recently. Serves me right for not putting a condom all around my modem.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

1. - "smart screen" is garbage and should simply be completely disabled.
    2. It shouldn't be needed on a media creation system but if you must run a reg/system clean util CCleaner (an older version, newer versions are nothing but adware) is the best choice for the job. It can be configured to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING detrimental to your system other than allow you to clean the crud (it provides a secure erase function that rules out over the trash can) and provides a nice interface to watch and manage your start up area's.