Reason+ (subscription based). Thoughts?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Covfefe, Jan 27, 2021.

1. L.8100

L.8100 Member

HAHA, nah, they got "soundpacks" tho... and know what? you DONT need to use the sounds as they are.... they can be used for INspIrAtIon!!!

(they literally described how to use sample packs in their live stream announcement....)

2. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I have to say, I actually do appreciate the subscription model for software. I know why people don’t, but I think that if you are wanting to go the legit route, then they remove the “barrier to entry” that the initial high costs create. I wasn’t at first, but my views have changed. Let me explain why.

When it came to Adobe stuff (I have a CC licence as I use some products for work), I would spend god knows how long searching for the latest working solutions, each product varied, and so much time wasted. So I got a licence. To me the fact I am using for work as well as hobby stuff, I could happily justify the business cost, so happy days. Same with the CAD software I use. I paid the £3,5k for the licence and £700 a year for maintenance and have done for 10 years. Now they do a subscription model too, £1,250 a year all in, so if they did that when I first got it, I would have been worse off after 8 and a half years of subscribing. I was lucky though that I could have afforded to buy the initial licence, because if not, I never would have been able to use the software, and because I did and learned it, beta test for them, and developed my skills that are saleable.

With audio software, for most of us it is a hobby, and ploughing say £500 for a Cubase license and then paying for upgrades, it’s not a cheap hobby to get into (is cheaper now, Reaper, more stripped versions, AI bundled editions etc...), especially when all that money could be spent on better hardware if you have none. I got Cubase SX3 at a computer fair, then AiR version 5, and after a while I wanted to get a 64bit version and because wife was a teacher, managed to get an Edu version of Cubase and Wavelab. Paid for updates over the past 7 or 8 years, happy days.

if I was starting up now though, I would 100% be going to Studio One Sphere. For that price, that amount of content, updates, support, would be absolute lunacy not to. And if after a few months the whole recording thing wasn’t for me, flog the hardware. The subscription model helps people get into it without the outlay, and I think that’s a good thing. And I used to believe that a negative was why would developers upgrade, why would their be any motivation to do that when you have to keep paying just to use it? Well, the low cost not only makes it easier to enter, makes it easier to move to a competitor. You haven’t forked out the £500 for a license that you won’t use and have to pay out again, you just go and get another sub license for a different DAW. Yes, you can’t access your projects, but you can write out all the tracks and then recompile in a new program.

What I will say though, for the people that HAVE bought perpetual and it then changes to a subs model, there has to be a method in place to reward that initial investment. I play around with 3D (badly!) and bought Octane Render. They then did a change to subs, and they basically gave those that had a perpetual license a bit of a bonus for a year, and their licence still works forever, but isn’t then upgradeable after that period ended, but can be via an update. It was a way to keep customers old and new happy, and I do think if done properly can work.

I know it’s a subject that polarises opinion, but I do see the benefits, and as long as the existing user base aren’t screwed over and their previous licenses do work for that edition, then it’s a bit of a win win.

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

gotta love the tsunami of "appreciation" they met in both chat and comment section on YouTube in their live stream presentation!! lol

the presenter Ryan Harlin spent around 15 minutes buttering up the new CEO Nicklas Agevik, people were literally vomiting...

they tried deleting and blocking but at the end there was no way to fix it..
    from whatever point of view you look at this shit, there is no doubt something is up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. L.8100

L.8100 Member

Im pretty poor... like, no disposable income poor. Thorough birthday and xmas gifts i was able to buy a liscence, and being poor, living a precarious life, i felt i will at least always have my daw if i lost all else. with subs, they dont help the poor as such. if they wanted to make it accessable it would be rent to own. They just have an ex mobile phone company exec as ceo and they wanna rinse us. They dont care about barriers to entry. some of the devs might, they seem like cool folks, but the head dudes, they just want return on investment after the aquisition a few years back. sign of the times. will only get worse. i know they need to make money etc, i guess capitlism has reached its peak, lots of innovation, too many poor people. half baked solutions as bridges.....

5. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

that’s what I mean though, if you have a perpetual license, it should remain perpetual for the version you have forever, and then to make those users happy, give maybe a a free update to the next years worth of updates or something.

6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I feel you, you are not alone and that's the whole cause for these reactions. the magnitude of economical pressure is so widespread that it needed just a little slight push, and it reaches all aspects of life even our little music scene, its all leaking like a huge sieve
    well that's what they are guaranteed NOT going to keep. over a short period of time that option will not exist. why would they, that's the whole problem we are facing

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  7. L.8100

L.8100 Member

Yea, i get that for sure. Its just the way theyve gone about it and the feeling that given a year or so the perpetual liscence will be gone.. obv just specualtion. but living in a precairious position i dont need no more uncertainty lol

im just railing today tho... im sure it will all die down and yea, well be cool :)

funny how i used to judge football fans getting heat up over things... guess daws are my equivelent haha

peace!

8. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

it's not as bad as that.
    from the faq:

If I already own Reason, can I keep using my license?

Sure! You bought it, you own it. And we will keep developing Reason and selling licenses in our shop, if you prefer to own a license instead of subscribing to Reason+.

9. L.8100

L.8100 Member

But not too long ago they bedazzled us with reason suite. it was never said it was a one off, it looked to use like an ableton suite. so we jumped in, we bought it to support them. now, suite is disbanded (they have confirmed this) and sub is being put above all else in marketing etc. watch the live stream and see how they refer to liscenses. its like a dirty word. go watch it. reason will be sub only in 12 to 16 months and all of us that jumpd on suite to support them, which i honestly did (and used a fuckin credit card to do so lol) will be shafted big style.

10. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

that’s what I was meaning, you own it and can keep using it, and some companies that have moved models try and sweeten it. If the company goes bump or stops supporting it because the license / version you have is so old, then sadly this is just the way of things. Look at the likes of TC Powercore or dropping support for older versions on new OS. Would be nice if the change of model did mean that maybe after 3 years if you wanted to “update” you could at a reduced rate or something.

11. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Whoah. Hang on.
    Our "little" scene has always been at the thick of it! And it's a huge scene!
    Don't forget that the tech we use in film and music all came from military.
    So it's no surprise that we are being conditioned to use it and want it in a way that keeps the theatre happening.

It's like when people complain about freedom of speech on the internet, yet we were given it to use by others who control it, so why complain?
    The same with all our tech. You can still write a #1 song with a pen and paper.
    I liked it back in the 80s and 90s when we had to work hard in life to be able to pay for studio time.
    And there was respect for the different production positions and their skills.
    I really don't think the new gen have a fucking clue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

At least they still offer full purchase having a rent option alongside full buy is nice

13. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

well that would be very dishonest of them and it would suck for people like you who were trying to keep them afloat.

14. L.8100

L.8100 Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  15. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

WOW, just read through the stream chat.... that was rough. The stream itself has almost twice as many dislikes as it does likes. I hope they take that into consideration because that cant possibly be a good thing.

16. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

I bought every single version of Reason from 3.0 lol. Still have the discs for 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and all the Abbey Roads stuff. Last upgrade was to 10 but I'm done now. They get no more of my hard earned cash! :(

17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Reaper 60$ and free updates for TWO versions so if you buy it when Reaper 7 comes out you get free updates to v8.99.
    No add on shit to pay extra for.
    It is equally stable as Reason if Reason is as stable as it was before they added Vst support?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  18. morris

morris Ultrasonic

considering trends, r2r doesn't release software they think still needs development. I think we will see a reason 11 from them this year

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

i am not interested in reason at all, but subscription models can be useful and they are quite a fair offer, as long as you dont have disadvantages compared to the "buy now" version when you buy later.

in other words : if they dont allow to "buy later", renting a software only makes sense for you if it is almost sure that you dont need it for longer than 1 or 2 years - for example when you are a student.

p.s. and both models dont have any influence the EOL issue, the quality of support, you name it.

20. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

Who said anything about Reaper???? This is a Reason Thread!!! :rofl:

FYI - I've spent over $1K USD on this software over the last 15 years so yeah... done.