Reason studios demonstrates why piracy is completely justified

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tzzsmk, Dec 9, 2023.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

He lost me at "I bought Linux". Apart from enterprise, who buys Linux?

2. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

When that version came out, download speeds were slow and connections sometimes timed. SUSE came with a bunch of CDs and a printed manual. There were also services that would send you burned CDs with a distribution and its software. You can still get Slackware that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

i ended up purchasing REFX Nexus 2 and when they upgraded to 3 .. basically a new skin and charged me over $100 i was starting to get alittle pissy .. then one day i had some projects i wanted to finish and i was basically locked out of my account on the vst end . it wouldn't except my email or password . opened up a support ticket and they basically said we can fix it if we have access to your computer .. which i wasn't ok with .. that day i cleaned my computer of all of my nexus stuff and all the expansions i purchased and went the other route ... havn't had a single issue since then. when will companies ever learn? probably never... completely turned me away from buying anything with online activation or really anything for that matter.

4. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

I would like to pay for software but then i read how they treat their customers and im glad i dont. That being said i dont even do that much other than collect

If ill someday make anything ill propably buy the products and never install them and keep using what i have

Fruity Loops guy has a nice thing going with the lifetime free upgrades. Too bad the mixer is a dealbreaker

5. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Native Instruments

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

vokator is still super bizarre and kind of great

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Blackhawk - two Cubase versions - Version 3 and version 4. Version 4 was a crashing nightmare. Version 5 was fine. The reason the cracked version 5 was so popular was because it loaded twice as fast as the legitimate version. Sound familiar even today with other software? :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

We could speak about NI abandoned softwares AND hardwares too.

Seen TC shutting down their Powercore authorize servers ?
    Pirates came with a cracked Powercore auth ... if not, a bunch of TC powercore would have been purely trashed for being totally useless (licences being directly tied to EACH hardware).
    Hardware fail : you can't transfer licences to new hardware

I could go on for hours ...

In fact, if ppl where really aware, they would not buy ANYTHING using servers auth that is not already cracked.
    Because when auth servers go down, you loose ALL what you paid for.

Now, some companies are pushing yearly mandatory connection ... if not monthly.
    Meaning they go down, you loose all in a month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

It's a shitshow i wonder what will be next ? subscription olny based plugins? it looks bad

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I remember the green Suse ones. A lot of people/organizations used to buy boxed Redhat around then, too. Some of those distros that people were paying for physical copies of included some amount of actual tech support. They were selling it as a service more than a product.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

im starting to think pirated software has more of a place then ever before lol because of these companies trying to take advantage of people

12. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

thats very true lol ...

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hardware which functionality depends on software is the worst combo :trashing:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

That is a pretty big net to cast, because it also covers most audio interfaces. If you narrow it down to Software that depends on additional hardware acceleration, which in turn always functions as some kind of dongle; that is the biggest recipe for some BS.

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I see your point. However, it has become a problem not because it is bad, but because for whatever reason short of an untimely death, somehow, many developers cease developing the product updates for newer hardware, or O/S's.

I can give a perfect example - I run two computer DAW's in tandem in case I wish to do an Orchestral work at once. On one I have an older Fast Track Ultra8R which still runs great and to industry standard. They stopped making drivers for the hardware. If I did not know how to manipulate the driver, and get past Windows secure driver BS, it would not be working anymore.
    (In this case it is because AVID purchased it and decided it was not worth updating drivers on any platform FFS).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2023
  16. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

Exactly what happened with NI abandoned hardware. No more software updates = paperweight.
    NI Kore lasted 5 years in total.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I reckon seeing this thread that it stands to reason not to buy Reason

PS. I'm sorry, this is bad even for my low standards. I'll see myself out... :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

This is why I spend my actual money on hardware. Software, I just download the cracked shit.

You want my money for a synth? I'd better still be owning that shit thirty years down the line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. ItsFine

ItsFine Rock Star

@BuntyMcCunty That's the reason why some studios were caught using warez (especially during Waves operation)... but they bought hardware U87, preamps, compressors ...

When i see the price of some plugins, i'm torn between rolling on the floor and smashing my keyboard :rofl:
    And i wonder WHO really buy them after seeing a video from a "well known" producer using it ... but HE got it for free.

More time passes, less i see anything software/computer related being an "investment".
    I still play the same Jackson Pro MIJ Fusion for more than 20 years ... even if i bought others.

NOTHING software/computer side lasted so long.

20. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

Ah okay, so Suse 8.1 was like 20 years ago, I see now thanks :)