Reason Malmstrom question - index slider

Discussion in 'DAW' started by samsome, Oct 28, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

when you increase the index slider in Malmstrom...can you tell me how can i do that within another synth like Vital? what does that basically do? thanks

3. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    hey samsome,
    malström plays graintables. the index slider determines the starting point in the graintable. the movement rotary makes the playing of those grains slower or faster, like automagically forwarding the index slider, kind of. when you close the movement completely, youll hear a single grain, over and over. then you could slowly move the index slider, and take a tour through all grains in that table. malström is like a wavetable oscillator, but grains instead waves.
    vital? do you wanna control malström's index slider with vital? i dont think thats possible, imho. or do you want to achive this malström sound with vital, without malström?

4. samsome

samsome Guest

yes i needed to see if that can be done in Vital...

so its basically starting the waveform at different places each time? maybe phase randomisation in vital? or maybe not possible

thanks!

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The random button is more of a gimmick, it is better to learn and use this synthesis.

Wavetable Synthesis: How To Nail The Basics
    https://www.edmprod.com/wavetable-synthesis/

Vital Tips and Tricks : Wavetable Editing

Wavetable synthesis

Wavetable synthesis synthesizes sound by using sample-based waveforms as oscillators.

Instead of traditional oscillators, wavetable synthesizers load each individual piece of a digital sample into a cell in a table.

The synthesizer scrolls through the pieces in the table one by one to output the sample as a sound.

Different pitches are created by decreasing or increasing the sample lookup rate.

This extraordinary style of tone genesis opens up a few interesting possibilities.

The sample can be looked up in a wave table backwards, forwards or only in a limited part of the table.

Wave tables are not limited to the conventional synthesis waveforms, but can be cascaded. This makes them great for creating evolving sounds and rich textures.

6. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

samsome, why in vital? reason is able to run as a vst3 plugin in your daw. automation works fine, i tried in ableton to automate the index slider. do you need a special sound of malström? sampling it is my last resort, when nothing else works.

7. samsome

samsome Guest

hey i was actually trying to recreate a sound here...and i want to know how to recreate that in vital alone

but this guy uses Reason propellerhead malmstrom synth and at a certain point i don't know how to do that in vital.....

but the original is here at 1:30 , it sounds so good in the original :/ thats just the closest to it i found online....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
  8. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

That Reason recreation doesn't sound anything like the original to me. OK, it's a kind of vague resemblance but I'd be happy to bet that the original isn't played on a graintable synth at all -- just some kind of analogue or virtual analogue.

9. samsome

samsome Guest

i've searched all remakes on youtube...none comes close at all...thats the closest unfortunately

10. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I tried to watch it to figure out what he was doing, but one year of German when I was 14 many years ago left me completely unequipped to make any sense of it at all.

Isn't it just a supersaw in the original?

Like this with a shorter attack?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  11. samsome

samsome Guest

nevermind on second thought as you say its not that close..so i guess it doesn't matter so much...i'll wait i guess for something better

just supersaw? hm no idea i guess i'll have to try.....there's some attitude in the sound that i don't know where it comes from...there's some bite to it in the transients or something

12. samsome

samsome Guest

sorry for the weird sample but this is what supersaw kind of sounds like as i made it

https://voca.ro/1mvvbpWpZRkk

its not bad :p but i don't know how to get to the original sound from here

what do u think is it in this direction? i can't understand much

13. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

samsome & bunty,
    that reason tutorial video is named "Tutorial "David Guetta - She Wolf" in Reason! (german, english subtitles)". just enable the youtube subs, there are indeed in english :) that aside, german is my mother tongue. he uses "wave: sawtooth*16" & "wave: sawtooth*4" in the malström. supersaw, sounds like your sample, samsome. no need to use malström in any way.
    the sound in the original video seems to be distorted, have you tried some kind of saturator, guitar amp... samsome? in the tutorial he uses the scream4, thats reasons ampsim/drive-it-hard/wth thingy. the video author speaks from a "nice distorted electric guitar sound" too.