Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

Discussion in 'Software News' started by xbitz, Apr 28, 2017.

1. MHEO

MHEO Ultrasonic

Reason?... I remember a huge community, reason-fans everywhere, thousands of refills around, lots of blogs, forums and dedicated websites, t-shirts and stickers. There was a "Reason Radio", too, playing Reason users songs. It was more than 10 years ago. There's nothing left of all this, as far as I know. VST support is just the sad ending of Propellerheads wrong policy and the final mockery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. crashy11

crashy11 Newbie

Its great that they upgrade software, if you dont like VST dont use it end of the story.. Some people will use it, some wont. In other DAW's you dont use all options and features either. I would like to have that Reason 9 but it cost 370€ which is a lot if you ask me compared to other DAW's. Do they use serial numbers for activation again or you have to be connected to internet whole time for dongle?

3. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Good question. I didn't find any information about dongle and in their shop it says "direct download". Did i miss something or they really drop dongle?

OH. Wtf mode enabled.

No Ignition Key with Reason?
    In Reason 7 and later, and Reason Essentials 2 and later, we’ve added a new way of authorizing the software. You can authorize your licenses to a single computer, for offline use. This way you can use Reason without being connected to the internet, or without a USB port taken up by the key. To authorize your computer for offline use, please log in to your Propellerhead Account.

If you use Reason on several computers, you will still be able to add your license to an Ignition Key, or use Internet Verification. An Ignition Key is not included with the Reason or Reason Essentials software, but for those that need one, it is available for separate purchase from our online shop.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. T2000

T2000 Ultrasonic

Am I right to think that no dongle means v9.5 is much more likely to be cracked?

5. DanielFaraday

You will need dongle anyway. So no.

6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes, and it has been a really nice little company back then. Very personal (I remember the staff members taking pictures while packing the first few editions into retail boxes e.g.).
    Then they became greedy more and more ... and wanted to be a big player ... closed user forum ... started RE instead of the Standard, VST, again out of greed. It was the beginning of their end.
    I agree with you. I don't think, the'll be able to re-animate Reason.

7. anthony walker

anthony walker Noisemaker

Says who?

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Why will you? This isn't true. As a Reason owner, yes they do have a Reason Ignition Key dongle, but you can use without by entering your Propellerhead account login detail when opening Reason, which obviously auto saves them meaning in reality after the first launch you just have to click on the login button as your credentials are already there. No need for any dongle.

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Also, you can authorize a single computer for offline use.

(but online auth is the best option, because not all RE are authorized with ignition key or offline authorization)

11. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

A dongle for Reason isn't required. You can install Reason on as many computers as you want. You can authorize one computer (no dongle, no internet required), and you can use internet verification for the other non-authorized computers. You can de-authorize and authorize another computer any time you want. Or you can just purchase a dongle and use it on any computer if you don't want to be bothered with internet verification/authorizing computers.

I actually really like how they do it. It beats Ableton Live's "two authorizations only, and if you need another, hope that we find it within our hearts to give it to you" policy.

12. DanielFaraday

Says Propellerhead

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Do you have a citation for this? Only asking as I'm a Reason user and haven't received any emails to that effect from Propellerhead nor have I seen anything in their promo stuff about the update or on their website.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  14. T2000

T2000 Ultrasonic

That's for multiple computers. By inference and as suggested (IMO) by the rest of the press release, for single use, no dongle will be required and use can be offline.

15. DanielFaraday

Should i post a screenshot of that copypaste? OKAY

[​IMG]

16. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

"If you use Reason on several computers, you will still be able to add your license to an Ignition Key, or use Internet Verification."

17. DanielFaraday

K genius of copypaste. Should i use it every time when i'm opening the daw or only once? Good question, right? Can you copypaste the answer from developer right here please? Because it's not very obvious (if you are familiar with propellerhead's ambitions).

18. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

Maybe you should actually read what YOU copypasted, eh? You can authorize one computer. No dongle or internet verification required. For MULTIPLE computers, you can use a dongle OR internet verification.

I'm sorry that you have shitty reading comprehension skills. No need to get all pissy about it.

19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not sure what you are on about, but it seems like you are a misinformed non-Reason user maybe?

You can authorise one computer using Propellerhead Authorisation tool, which uses CodeMeter software. All your purchases, including Rack Extensions, can be authorised this way. Therefore, you can authorise one computer for use without a USB dongle and without needing to be online. You can deauthorise said computer at any time you want in order to authorise another machine.

For other computers you have two options. You can purchase an Ignition Key dongle and put the licenses on that and plug into a USB port or if the computer is online, you can authorise by inserting your Propellerhead account user name and password. You can tell it to save your user name and password so you can just click "log in" button after first launch. You can transfer the USB key between whatever computers you want and you can also use the online authorisation login on any computer you want.

THAT is the factual and accurate information, so it might be useful if those who know none the wiser stop spreading false and inaccurate information.

20. DanielFaraday

So in other words, if i have installed reason on my main pc and on laptop, every time when i starting my reason on laptop it should have internet connection or dongle, right? So why the hell you keep telling me that i don't need dongle if i actually need it? My laptop is offline for 90% time.