Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

Discussion in 'Software News' started by xbitz, Apr 28, 2017.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

about the VST based ones (there is no gate/cv output on the VST device), yepp luckily the stock player devices of Reason work well with VSTs

Matthias (or one of the props) did say on rtalk that vst midi generator/effects will not be supported in the first go around on this (like http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi ones for ex)

2. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

3. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

Omg I never tought that would happen, SICK! They won't lose any customers on that decision, that's for sure.

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Most of times, i follow you. Not on this one :wink:

Props spend their REVERSING their vision :

"dongle ? NEVER ! Only serial" -> dongle
    "audio recording ? NEVER ! There is Rewire for that" -> crappy sampler -> Record -> audio recording
    "VST ? NEVER EVER !" -> RE -> VST
    I could speak about MIDI OUT too and more :rofl:

Props are just making their hard core users go away for 10 years. And NOW, they try to stop bleeding AND get back hardcore users ?
    NO WAY !
    It is like going to talk to your ex-wife, who ruined you life, 10 years after.

They want new customers ? Good.
    But hardcore users who left are NEVER going to come back. And it is a REAL never, not a Props's one.

BECAUSE next thing you will need and see in the competition, you will need to wait another 10 years. Not me.

And about your "top selling", here another tool i can show you : Google Trends
    You can compare how much "buzz" there is on everything, including DAW.

Here is a real life check about how much ppl care about DAWs in real life :
    https://trends.google.fr/trends/explore?date=all&q=/m/0236w8,/m/037t3h,/m/01x82b,protools

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Meanwhile Rob Papen is developing some Reason stuff (RP-Spec & RP-EQ)

6. crashy11

crashy11 Newbie

Air team be ready :D Do you think guys that some team will manage to do Reason 9.5 :D

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Let's just say that I would be more than happy to give it a try again.
    Haven't touch Reason since version 1.0 in 2000...

8. crashy11

crashy11 Newbie

There will be trial version but wonder if airteam or any other will get involved, someone contact them :D

9. ia

ia Producer

Guys! AiR team is dead, sorry. But we live in this world.

10. ia

ia Producer

Why every daw tends to be abandoned? I see only ableton live keeps slow but truly growing. What about cubase I don't care anymore cuz they doing same stupid things as propellerheads, but I noticed in period of dec-jan-feb interest is growinig every year and falling to half of the year. Why?

11. ia

ia Producer

I guess there was a war between RE and VST and RE loosed this war and steinberg wins again. Right now propellerhead seems to be a bitch of steinberg. If propellerheads would my own company I would never take this curse to ruin my battleship by clashing it of bigger and fatter enemy
    I guess this maybe the last penetration and thin battleship gets sunk down
    I thing this is just a betrayal of own technology and vision by taking technology of enemy. And one important point here - they right now using VST 2.4, but steinberg using VST 3 and props need to pay them for years.
    Why? What the reason was to do so?

12. ia

ia Producer

Its took 17 years to implement VST and now they doing it - hell why? What the reason? Give me one good reason why? It's too late! I would like to see something unique and new but not what was there for 21 years - kick off this wibu dongle - that's would be really good advantage for a lot of people imho.

13. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

It's the best I've tried, way better than FL Studio. If someone says it's crap or basic, they haven't read the manual..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  14. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I wanna be open-minded about Reason. It's just difficult, given the stubborness of the devs. I just hope they ditch the dongle so we can see if it's worth buying. But, anyway, it's always good to have competition. I just hope that in the future we get a modular uber-DAW, where all the devs band together and let u pick and choose from all the available "stuff" in each DAW.

Yeah, it's true. Always thought that the devs should have just concentrated on developing VSTs. They'd prolly have moar $ now, at least. Maybe enough to make a decent DAW!

Whenever I've used it, my reaction has been like Frodo's (yes, rly!) friend says:

Kinda. Always thought they were instrument devs w/ bad ideas & stubbornitude. Oh well, at least one of those things has changed.

Yeah, it rly was a fiddly chore in 5, prolly the last time anyone ever used Reason.

15. TC

TC Newbie

I could be way off but...I have to assume Propellerhead didn't want VST support because they wanted program stability. Fair enough. But if they had the time/resources to develop Recycle, Record, Pitch Edit, & Rack Extensions, they could've had VST support a lonnnggg time ago....especially since Steinberg provides the SDK for free. If they went that route, users could've opted for Geist instead of Recycle, Melodyne instead of Pitch Edit, & well....VSTs instead of Rack Extensions. With all the time they wasted developing now obsolete modules, (I think) they could have developed a wrapper to tame misbehaving plugins and offer that stability they presumably desired.

16. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Reaper is really growing more and more people discover it every day but dance dudes might not like it as they do with Live and other Daw,s

17. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

18. zpaces

zpaces Producer

They lost too much customers before... that's why they added VST. After avoiding VST for almost 17 years. Propellerhead made a deal with the devil and cracked their own concept! Users who left Reason behind won't come back.

19. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes, and they will get a some new users, but as well, won't get their old users back. They lost thousands of them, when they decided to implement RE instead of VST. That was a bad decision born out of greed.
    Reason was a great piece of software. "Let them make Reason great again" :rofl:

(And let's hope the Propellerheads learned something.)

20. Sombra

Sombra Member

I have to agree with those saying that people that left Reason won't be coming back (most anyway). There is still too much missing from Reason for someone to leave Studio One, Ableton, Cubase, or Reaper. Reason's browser is unacceptable for how long it's been around. The sequencer is still clunky. Still no option for Return to Start on Stop? I don't want to use a key command for it. Kills my workflow.

Reason was my first ever DAW so I'll always have a place for it in my heart, but there is no way I can go back to it. I downloaded the trial a few months back and I just couldn't use it, not after getting used to the speed and intuitiveness of Studio One 3.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017