Reaper stupid bug !

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by nikon, Jul 17, 2014.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I don't know have you ever notes one stupid bug in Reaper 4.7

When you try to minimize Reaper window it's so smooth and there is some timeout... and it only happening when there is no track loaded.

If you load at least one track, everything work fine :)

3. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Yes, I've noticed more. On one PC (weaker) it plays back an .mp4 video file just fine. On a newer PC (stronger) with the exact same version of REAPER and VLC and OS it gets stuck a few seconds in the video. Maybe it doesn't like some more recent hardware or driver or something. If I convert it to .AVI it magically plays back. The stronger one would theoretically run smoother. :dunno: :snuffy:

Also, it doesn't release the audio device properly. If I load a project with ASIO4All for example and then open something else that produces audio and I minimize REAPER the other program plays back fine. If any other program is open before REAPER it won't play back even if I pause the other one and let the device free to do its thing (I have to shut the others off fully). Sometimes, it won't release it even in the case of the first example, although everything is checked. Now, on the first PC it never releases it, on the new one only with the first example. Maybe a Windows thing dunno. But it still sucks. Yeah...

4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

No difference here with or without a track loaded.
    Win7 x64 reaper 4.71.

If you are on 4.7, maybe try 4.71.

Have you reported the bug on their forum? If you can show them an easy way to reproduce any bug, they usually get fixed quickly, they even posted an update on Christmas day a few years ago. Now thats service for you :)

5. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

No clue what you mean with minimizing and smoothness or something. It happens instantly here, with or without a track (Reaper 4.71 x64).

@Gramofon: That sounds like your video drivers are getting in the way. (I don't know what VLC has to do with it? Video plays back fine here in Reaper and I don't have VLC installed). The drivers of your video card are trying to 'take over' the playback of .mp4 content, to hardware accelerate it and do stuff like edge-enhancing or dynamic contrast. When you convert it to avi (what kind of avi? Avi in itself doesn't mean anything, it's what video codec is inside is what matters) the video acceleration is not working anymore and Reaper can do it's thing.

Like any professional video sequencing or audio editing, you don't want the hardware to come in between and influence things like timing or color, so it's a good thing :).

Also, the audio-card-releasing as you describe it means Reaper does it perfectly, but _other_ applications don't release it? Of course if you start apps before Reaper those apps get the audio device (Windows sound mixer even gets the audio device) so asio4all/reaper can't do stuff with it. That's no difference than other DAWs and real ASIO devices even. If any ASIO software opens my device in 96k, other apps can't do stuffin 44k for example, it's just how it is. If I start to play back something on Youtube and _then_ start my DAW, the DAW a) doesn't want to switch samplerates, it has to accept whatever the browser is doing b) forces the card in another samplerate and suddenly Youtube is playing back at half speed / half pitch :).

Making sure your Windows mixing setting for regular apps is set to the exact same spec as you work with in your DAW (samplerate/bits) and letting asio4all open the device in exclusive mode all help, but it's never perfect. You're not supposed to do other audio stuff while working in a DAW apparently :).

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

ok, here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEpHZ-FL3X4&feature=youtu.be

when there is no tracks loaded minimizing is slightly slow, just watch the three top buttons at the top of Reaper window, and then watch the speed when the track with plugin is loaded