Reaper - set peak of kick to -42db, quick way to do that?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Apr 9, 2022.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

set the peak of kick to -42db, quick way to do that?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

- 42 dB

What are you doing now?

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Best Answer
    For audio or VSTi? For audio it's simple. Select item, press F2 (Item Properties), in the center field click on Normalize and then set -42dB two fields to the left, done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

As usual, searching for ways of doing things quick and backfiring since Apr 4, 2015

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. samsome

samsome Guest

thats useful to know too thats for the overall volume of the sound as i understand

[​IMG]

is there a way to tell it basically to move the first peak (the highest peak) down to -42db (or go up to -42db), i mean the rest can move down or up too but i want that highest peak to be at -42db

Beat 16 yea thats too much for the overall total sound, i meant that first highest peak to come down to -42db in some fast way otherwise ok i can just do it myself

sorry if i'm not making sense, i'll try figure it out tomorrow or never or so

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2022
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

since you are using some Voxengo plugins, why don't you try Drumformer? But you could use any Multiband Limiter/Compressor to do what you want. You probably already have this one.
    But you should really re-evaluate your understanding of compression. You want to "have the same effect as a compressor", without it being a compressor. That is the perfect scenario for one tool. A compressor. Dial your settings in and compress it until you hear it, then back it off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  8. No Avenger

A singleband compressor with internal sidechain with LP (not HP as usual) can work too. Or a simple EQ, or a dynamic EQ. The problem with a compressor/dyn EQ is, that would affect the sound itself, not only the level.

9. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

You should really learn the freaking basics - like the difference between time domain and frequency domain.

Then look at that kick’s waveform right there on daw’s waveform, cut before and after the offending peak at zero crossings (that bump is going to be in the middle of the kick), adjust the volume then recombine back the kick. It’s obvious, I know, but play stupid games (always hunt for shortcuts), win stupid prizes (spend days waiting for a shortcut, instead of 2 minutes to actually do the work)

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I know, no answer is ever really perfect; especially when you are trying to fix something you could have just done correctly in the first place. And when you are making EDM, it's even more abnormal to do this. They only use one or two 1/4 note kick drums the entire track! This is when you offline process the sample so you don't have extra plugins open in your project. OP could also use Kick2 like I suggested about 6 months ago. Things like this... who sets anything to -42db at all?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  11. No Avenger

:woot: Not just one but two??? That's close to an acoustic kit. :rofl:

12. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Thinking that way you could also try Cableguys Shaperbox (Volume Shaper) ... choose a division that fits (for example 1/4 if it's four on the floor) ... you'll see when (time) your kick peaks, you can try to lower it now.
    Still I don't get your point of setting up -42db. What's the benefit?