Reaper Portable Install option

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by xsze, Jul 1, 2015.

1. xsze

xsze Guest

Just the other day I touched this in MuLab thread, didn't wanted to go further off topic there, now opened my mail and saw this new article from "The Reaper Blog" and coincidence was enough to actually make this thread today.

Gonna just paste the article and than continue more about it :thumbsup:

Did you know that REAPER can install as a self-contained program with everything in one folder?
    Why would you want that?
    Well there are a few reasons to use this option. For testing and troubleshooting, to compare multiple versions simultaneously, or simply to keep everything in one place like on a flash drive.
    With REAPER 5.0 in the RC phases of beta testing, now is a pretty good time to learn how to portable install.

This video from Kenny Gioia explains the details of portable installs for Mac and PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlsLEc5cvEM

So basically I did portable install too, put everything on my other partition and pretty much whole my "studio" is right now around 7 gig's, that includes (like showed in the picture)

[​IMG]

Made cloud backup and pretty much ready for usb flash drive on the go too, so I can access my projects on anyone's computer for mixing or collaboration, just change plugin paths and that's pretty much it, everything is there, cheery picked .dll's that doesn't have some outside resources, ilok and few things are gone, not a big loss tho, of course, some things are going to stay on my own machine for their obvious size and resource paths, but 98% of the stuff I use is there, so not a big loss if something gets bounced on the way or not used. *no*

Anyone else having portable solution or thinking about it? :mates:

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Yes, portable solution is a best way for sharing reaper preferences among multiple PCs. *yes*

4. xsze

xsze Guest

For sure, but also for checking and tweaking things on other setups, right now I'm only with cans and pretty much until I get my setup again, if opportunity/need comes along, gonna rent studio time for recording and final touches/mixing, so yeah, pretty much ideal thing like this *yes*

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Be sure to try out Reamote as well, it's a breeze with portable setup (all plugins/preferences in one place shared among worker slaves)

6. xsze

xsze Guest

That sounds interesting, gonna dig more into it, thanks for heads up :mates:

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I've been using Reaper 4.1x+ as portable since 2013/4 or so. Portable is nice since apps shit all over your system less.