Reaper or Studio One

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Starmaka, Oct 20, 2014.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Personnaly I use Cubase, Samplitude, Live and Reaper ; and Reaper is by far the most stable and cpu efficient. And there are three problems out of the four you're showing I could solve for you (common user errors). The fourth one "QuickFontCache" is probably the same order of error.
    With S1, wow...I've tried that daw. My experience is that it is extremely unstable and a cpu hug. And the cpu hug part is notoriously known. There is no way I could ambition to run a 4th of the Acqua plugins I use in Reaper in S1. No way.

3. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Try.

4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Well first don't feel bad about those, because for a couple of them I had, and well those things happen. Nobody's perfect. 2nd, I would gladly indulge and help you if I thought for one second that you seriously consider to give Reaper a go. That's not the case, and even if I did solve your issues you would probably say that it doesn't work (if you actually really had those issues).
    The Reaper forum is mighty helpfull, and those errors are already referenced there (and for 2, they are actually solutions here on AudioSex, proof if need be that you haven't tried really hard to solve those problems), so....It should take you about 5 minutes if you are familiar with Google. It's a search engine. One of the best, I've heard.

5. DanielFaraday

[​IMG]

:wink:

Solution 2: Create new system profile. Unacceptable.

Million threads, ZERO working acceptable solutions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  6. Slapdash

Slapdash Kapellmeister

Studio One by a mile. It's not even a competition.

Reaper is cool (I guess) but it's not built for workflow, ease of use or anything resembling 'fun' during mixing/producing. It's for tweakers.

Studio One is the most well thought out DAW in the world, simple operations are a drag/drop or a single click away, while in others (ProTools and Reaper esp) it's a convoluted dance through menus, right clicks, awful text based interfaces. ProTools is definitely stuck in the 90s design wise and reaper has very little cohesive design or flow. Reaper is fun for those who want to customise and don't mind some of its many drawbacks, while S1's only real drawback is its not as CPU light with plugs and such but that's not really an issue on any modern system anyway.

Studio One also brought some very innovative/awesome productivity and handling advances (such as easy track transform and bouncing) which is still lacking protools and has only recently been copied in Cubase. Add built in melodyne using ARA which shits over everything else out there for tuning, and console shaper which gives proper analog console emulation directly in the audio summing engine not just added on the start/end like most plug-ins and you have, frankly, the most awesome DAW ever created.

Studio One, if not that then I'd use Cubase but never Reaper. I moved from Cubase/ProTools to S1. Best decision ever.

p.s Logic and Sonar aren't too great either, esp Sonar which is now outclassed easily by Studio One and Cubase.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

IMHO your comment mostly show you've never tried Reaper, and you like pretty guis (which has nothing to do with workflow, although you have the right to enjoy pretty gui). With actions it can be pretty much anything in terms of workflow. BTW Studio 1 (and Cubase for that matter) are way behind in terms of freezing/rendering, and they came with the few they have way after the competition (it's been in Reaper and Samplitude since years). S1 is fun and pretty, but it's just a flawed toy.
    I can perfectly comprehend that someone would defend the daw the person uses, it makes perfect sense.
    But putting forward supposed "flaws" of a daw you obviously have never tried just goes above my head. Cubase can be cool in term of workflow for certain operations (mixer top notch which makes it way better than S1 and its horrid unpractical mixer, Cubase is also great for midi), so I use it sometimes for its strongpoints, but it's cumbersome as hell for many things, and reaper offers more in many, many areas.
    ARA from melodyne is also available in Sonar and Samplitude (I use samplitude for vocals), and in Samplitude you can access it at object level, which beats about anything outhere, included S1.

8. demo10

demo10 Newbie

https://www.landoleet.org/whatsnew5.txt
    check this .. its a list of the additions and fixes of the betas versions ... they always work, man!
    i like reaper a lot .. but i don't like its appearence ..

i like the session view of Ableton .. but i don't like the midi capabilities... and mixing in ableton is a nightmare! .. always selecting each track to know which plugins i've used on it! Nightmare!

studio one ... it looks like Cubase but it lacks its features :S
    the piano roll on Studio one is funny! .. the colors and the shape of notes is really confusing.

i think there's no "one DAW solution" ... at least for me :(

9. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

do u miss anything from FL

everything is one click distance (layers, automation, wave editing, mixer), PDC has been fixed finally (FL 12.9beta1)
    needs session/performance >>

per note automation also supported by poly-aftertouch, macroing is

10. demo10

demo10 Newbie

omg Fl loops! yes it was my first DAW .. i swear to god i was switching back to it just ti use the piano roll! it's amazing...
    but i had to drop it after a while cuz recording audio was a nightmare ...
    comping audio takes .. recording different playlists(pro tools!).. and of course the pro tools comes at the first place for audio editing and drums editing.

and the mixer was tiny and weird .. i loved the mixer of pro tools more cuz it feels more like real faders.. all the plugins are viewable .. u don't need to select the track to show its plugins .
    in the previous releases of fl studio, u had to select the track to view its plugins on the mixer window.

and i'm sorry but .. yes, i'm neat when it comes to producing a song ... the beauty of the interface and design of daw affect my mood :S

11. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

I'm rocking REAPER for a few years now. From time to time it gets quite annoying to discover a flaw no-one bothered to check or help you with, but otherwise it's excellent DAW, built for everyone in mind, creatives but also geeks and tweakers
    Big plus is that it supports OSC and Reamote right from the box. Oh, and it's also portable and quite affordable.

Can't comment on S1, as I haven't tried it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Fl's piano roll and plugins/effects are good, everything else is pretty bad (takes too much time/or the project becomes unorganized) for big projects with many tracks.
    The CPU usage in the newer FL versions is unacceptable (imo).

I think that all modern DAWs are good and can do their job.

Reaper is the king of DAWs in terms of features, but has to be re-configured (there are also some attractive skins created by the users - including copies of the Cubase, Ableton, Fl, Logic etc guis )

http://admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html

13. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

"but i had to drop it after a while cuz recording audio was a nightmare ...", next version

"u don't need to select the track to show its plugins ."
    [​IMG]

--
    "unorganized" don't think, custom channel-rack, mixer, playlist presets solved this

can create own entries >> by default
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 12\System\Config\NamePresets_Channel.txt
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 12\System\Config\NamePresets_MixerTrack.txt
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 12\System\Config\NamePresets_Pattern.txt
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 12\System\Config\NamePresets_PlaylistTrack.txt

ps. MIDI orchestration BRSO

pitch correction / warping Newtone, workflow is quite fast

, Vocal align >

am I missed something, CPU >> amd ryzen :wink:

14. demo10

demo10 Newbie

hahaha... wow ... its like i was talking about another DAW :D
    huge improvements ... and i want to take this chance to ask about somethings in fl studio if u have time man :D
    1- Can i edit multi midi tracks at one windows?! and every track has different color for the notes ...etc
    2- is there a "track template" feature?! its in reaper and it's AWESOME!
    3-is it easy to create many templates for different purposes?! .. one for mixing, one for producing...etc
    4- it there a feature for controlling articulations?! .. like articulation map?!
    5- can i change the piano roll view to drums view ... and changing the piano to instruments names? like reaper and studio one..

15. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

^^^ all the answers are yes

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. demo10

demo10 Newbie

omg ... u fl studio users have those all features and were silent for a long time :D ... thanks man i'm gonna check it out .. it looks like the old toy became super huge amazing daw ...

thanks for your time, mate!

17. demo10

demo10 Newbie

last Q man ... from the sister site ... does the fl studio there works fine?!

18. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

well I have official license :bleh: ( but :yes: )

ps. and worth to read the manual of different stock plugins, integration with FLS is quite powerful

sorry for hijacking the thread, finished it :)

19. DanielFaraday

5 hours later. I still didn't find any working solution to run my waves plugins.
    So i'm still tweaking god damn settings. Is there a way to rebind mouse buttons? And i mean BUTTONS not the mouse wheel.
    I want to swap marquee tool from rmb to lmb and i want to draw midi notes in pianoroll by holding CNTRL. Is this achievable?
    How to draw envelopes in piano roll btw?

20. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Did you point R to the correct VST folder? Did you install bridging? Did you try installing in un/portable mode?

just click & drag (expand up the bottom handle/panel)

[​IMG]

dn0, but http://www.sixtystring.com/reaper-single-click-to-insert-note-on-midi-piano-roll/ may help.