Reaper or Studio One

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Starmaka, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

"You should use My DAW. It's better than any other DAW available."
    We have sister site which allows us to try both.

2. TW

TW Guest

Why ? nothing changed. Studio one is still user frîendly and reaper is still the ultimately powerhouse if you compare the resource management.

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Reaper is Linux (can do a lot...but YOU need to do it)
    Studio One is OSX (and it is intuitive like Logic)

On my side, it is S1 :D

4. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

A whole lot has changed in three years since the thread started. I haven't followed Studio One since I switched from it to Reaper, but Reaper is up to version 5.62, and has a multitude of new features (including the previously mentioned VST3 support), notation, VCAs, and many, many more. They add features (and fixes) like crazy and rapidly. Plus there are a multitude of new skins, extensions (such as Cubase-like Expression Maps, and other MIDI tools), and new education videos from Reaper (Kenny Gioia), The Reaper Blog, and of course Youtube. I did enjoy Studio One when I used it, but Reaper stole my heart with its flexibility, extendability, and community. Plus, it's so small and light-weight. I need all the CPU I can spare for my VSTs.

5. Wile E.

Wile E. Kapellmeister

Headroom. Reaper handles it much better.

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

studio one hands down

7. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I also switched from Studio One to Reaper.

Answering Starmaka's question:

Studio One is easier to learn. It may be the easiest DAW existing so far. It also comes preconfigured (templates, automatic folder creation etc.).

Reaper, for a long time, seemed very un-intuitive to me. Until I learned that I can change and configure almost everything in it (GUI, behavior, functions etc.). So I made my very own skin, changed a lot settings to my taste and I would not switch back to Studio One now (although I check almost every new version).

Two more things:
    1. Since v3, Studio One introduces to many severe bugs with every update. They add or fix something, but break something else every time. (Just read some comments for the past two years on sister site.)
    2. Reaper is A LOT more efficient. I did many tests, on a couple of different machines, and the results were always similar: Reaper "eats" up to 3 times less CPU than Studio One. I can run mutiple Diva's or other demanding plugins in Reaper with no problems. Not so in Studio One.
    To my knowledge, Studio One still has the worst (least efficient) engine among current DAW's. They tried to do something about it in v3.5, but the advance in minor.

So my advice: If you don't plan to run many demanding plugins, Studio One could be a nice program. Otherwise, invest your time to learn Reaper.

8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

9. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

........... my friend wanted to be like a rock producer, he bought a Reaper and publish skin. :unsure:

10. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

easiest to learn and very powerful? most definitely studio one.

most powerful and easiest?
    now you are starting a bit of weird chase since that doesn't matter for the knowledge level you are at right now.
    you should start with the easiest possible program and make music with it!

otherways you will spend most of your brains energy learning shit that has little to do with actual music making

once you start making decent beats/music with the easiest simplest program (they are all good today) first then it should be time to start caring of what daw is the "most powerful". and by then you will know what it is you need "more", if you even need it.

this is the classic most common move every new aspiring beatmaker/producer/musician does when it comes to choosing daw, "i want the bestest powerfullest" but the best most powerful daw doesnt make your music it only bogs you down and tricks you in thinking you are a producer because you know a lot of technical irrelevant shit for the development stage you are at the moment.

and so way to often years go by and they spend very often up to 10+ years fucking around with settings and then as cherry on the cake after all that time they many times then go from one daw to next daw and start over with anew one..

way to many spend years and years learning what digital synthesis is, and bussing, and mixing and tuning perfect kicks and the art of sampling, and then mastering, and they will fuck around with everything someone would cover in a lifetime of an actual studio carrier but meanwhile.. meanwhile? meanwhile during all that time, what music do they do? music? yeah, they do the most crappy infantile 4 bar loops and most pathetic sounding tracks.

that is true procrastination at its best.

because actual songwriting, arranging of tracks/beats is the real deal, and for that the last thing you need is the most powerful daw.

all the rest is just not wanting to confront that simple truth

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Reaper hands down over S1. Reaper is the easiest daw I know and it can do anything.

12. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Export midi/audio via drag'n'drop to the media browser?

13. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I never understood that kind of threads.

How does it help to know that I've been using S1 for the past three years since you don't know me personally?

Just try them both and choose what matches you.

In the end, it doesn't matter if 99% of the people prefer S1 or the other one, it's a bit like your wife or girlfriend: You are not (usually) asking everyone's opinion if you should marry her.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

What do you mean by that ? The midi/audio in your project ?

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

You can say that about anything...Why bother having a forum at all if asking strangers opinions seems weird to you ?

16. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

after sonar gave me headache with its weekly updates
    i decided to use either reaper or studio 1 (took me 1week to decide )
    i tried reaper first with recording and mixing,results werent that good , i guess the workflow was the issue
    but it was better than that sonar to be honest
    then i produced the same track with studio one (and used same plugins with exact sounds),both results were okaish
    reaper time i used 3 was days to get the job done
    studio 1 time i used was 2 days to get the job done
    after that ?, i started hoarding plugins ,you expect something else ? lol

peace to all studio one and reaper users

17. DanielFaraday

Literally. I have instrument track (soft synth that playing melody). I want to export it. I want to do it with the best possible way: Pick midi clip and drag it to the browser (like in Ableton and SO3). Also i want rendered preview for this clip (default feature for ableton and SO3). After that i want to save the whole channel strip with instrument, all effects, midi, and of course preview for this. In ableton i can perform this by d'n'd selected channel to the browser (In SO3 you need to d'n'd midi clip but this time select "save as music loop". How to achieve this in Reaper?

18. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

As many others have said, S1 is prolly easier (OOTB), but RPR isn't too bad, and you shouldn't grow out of it.

• Recording audio?
    • MIDI work?
    • VIdeo work?
    • SUrround work?
    • 16ch Ambisonics output for VR?

sure thing.

R has a thing called "bays". The usage is a bit different via dnd, in which it's not really designed for quick content recycling of MIDI loops for EDM, more like managing common assets you want to re-use. Though there may be 3d pty addons that simulate your dnd workflow.

R in general, fits with my workflow pretty well.

Really, it depends on workflow.

19. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Everything appears in the project bay. From there you can export anything, to me an oldschooler the "d'n'd" thingy is far from being the most effective way. Rendering preview. Obviously, you can freeze anything in reaper, it's been a long while, objects, tracks, whatever. are there any daw that don't alow to do this ? And of course you can save anything (tracks - in reaper there is no differentiations between midi/audio/strip track, a track is track can contain anything and can be saved in anyway you want), render it and export it from the project bay.Which in the end is what matters, the 'd'n'd" thingy is just one way to do it, here you have to use the right click of your mouse (i know it's asking a lot). Or you can create an action, and realize the task with one simple shortcut. Can you do actions in Live and S1 ? Make any task or chain of task (no matter how complex they are) in one shortcut ? Everything , anything.

20. DanielFaraday

I have a clean system. Cubase, SO3 and Ableton runs perfect without any single error. But every time when i'm trying to give reaper a chance there is always something wrong with this "rock solid" daw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it was fast this time.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List