Reaper midi not working after using Kontakt group editor

Discussion in 'Software' started by lovefish, Jan 2, 2019.

1. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

Using latest Mac OS with Reaper.
    I was trying to get the Berlin Woodwinds EXP C Library to work better with the Roli Seaboard Block midi controller, by using the Kontakt plugin to 'edit all groups' while I had 'solo bassoon' instrument loaded.

Now, neither the Roli nor the Komplete Kontrol midi keyboards are making any sound at all when I have this, or any other instrument, loaded. I tried Kontakt 6.0.2 and 5.6.5, both VST and AU, and nothing is working. But the same setup will play back midi from these instruments. Also, in Reaper on the left bar you see the tracks, and you see the levels of the tracks. Those still move when I hit the keys of the keyboard I have selected as the input, so it does seem to be connected. But no sound at all! Even though as soon as I press play on the track I already made on that channel, the instrument selected as plugin still makes sound from the recorded midi.

Also the keyboards are working fine with Ableton Live.

One thing I did do before it stopped working, I don't know if this is a coincidence or if it is the cause, is that as I said I was using the Kontakt plugin to 'edit all groups' while I had 'solo bassoon' instrument loaded. So I will explain what I did.
    - I changed the 'pitch bend' to 12 notes range. This worked as desired, made the roli keyboard work better.
    - There are 3 things at the bottom, unexpanded: Instrument buses; Insert effects; Send effects. Above that there is something saying 'mod'. I think there was something there before saying that too, with a little 'x' box which I thought might 'unexpand' it. I clicked it and it dissappeared. Thing is, I don't know if that was fine and just unexpanded something, or if it permamently deleted something - I cannot remember if there are the same things there now as before or not because I'm not familiar with this.
    - I may also have done something else experimenting, but not sure.

It is anyway possible that doing any of that might have changed all my instrument plugins? Is that what 'group plugins' does? (I thought it would only change things in that one Berlin Woodwinds EXP C Library, and even for that I was hoping it would be reversible!

Because even the standard piano and synth ones that were included with Kontakt do not work now. Keyboard simply doesn't make the plugins make any sound!

Any help much appreciated.
    [EDIT: Also I tried using Komplete Kontrol plugin to add instruments, but this still doesn't work. Even though the lights on the keyboard change when the instrument loads.]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. lovefish

lovefish Newbie

OK so it took me 2 days of trying to figure this out (before I posted this) but just now after watching some videos I found what was wrong. Monitoring was turned off! I have no idea why it was suddenly turned off on every channel, even new channels, even new tracks, even all my old tracks I loaded, and even my other version of Reaper I had on another drive! Very very strange. Anyone know how that could happen and how to prevent it? At least I am no glad I can make some music!