Reaper doesn't allow some cracked plugins

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Wolfang, May 7, 2024.

1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I noticed that Reaper doesn't allow some cracked plugins. I pulled up the preference and clicked the re-scan button and checked the "Plug-ins that failed to scan" button. There are a bunch of plugins. Especially, Izotope, Sound Toys and Ujam ones.

I've tried the following methods so far:
    1) Clicked the "Plug-ins that failed to scan" button for all of them -> Failed.
    2) Deleted reaper-vstplugins64.ini and re-scanned from scratch -> Failed.
    3) Deleted reaper and re-installed it -> Failed.
    4) Installing Visual C++ -> All of them are installed, but nothing changed.

So, it looks like there is no way to fix it so far. Any idea?

Another thing is that Reaper doesn't allow VST3 and VST2 to be displayed together. Only VST2 will be visible, but not VST3.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

a bit confused so probably not too much help here. for vst 2/3 do you have the various folders selected so it knows where to search? im running 7.14 on windows 10 and i have plenty of vst2 and vst3, they display next to each other in the add fx section. also i don't have any soundtoys or ujam installed but i do i have some izotope, the DLL's will show up as failed to scan but i think this is just how the izotope stuff is cracked, the vst3's that i use DO show up.

are you on latest build? i know that in 7.15 the swing quantization was bugged, maybe 7.15 has more bugs than just that and its screwing something up?

longwinded way of saying, that hasn't happened to me really.

4. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

No problems here neither (7.15), shows all plugins and VST2/3 next to each other

5. Jayster

Jayster Kapellmeister

Has nothing todo with cracked or not - same happens with freeware plugis that do not meet certain VST compatibility requirements with Reaper.
    In other words, badly coded plugins will not show up. The may show up in other DAWs that dont give a shit, but crash later randomly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I'm using 7.11. It has happened for a long time since version 6. I created vst2 folder on D drive and put every dll files in it. Some plugins show both of vst2 and vst3, but some don't.
    They are shown up properly on Studio One, so it's definitely the issue of Reaper.

7. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I don't think so. As I mentioned earlier, they are shown up on other DAW.

8. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

How would Reaper detect a cracked plugin with enough accuracy that it wouldn't false flag legit plugins and become a generalized problem among its users? And why would that happen only to you? I think it's much more likely that you're having issues in your own machine that you don't know how to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

It cannot. There is no way for the DAW to check ownership of anything. Especially since the plugin is not something they even make themselves. Maybe a DAW like Luna can do that, as an example.

Why would the developer even care enough to get involved in any of that?

10. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Yep, it can't! My point is, even if Reaper could technically do that, there's no guarantee it would be accurate every time or that it would only happen with OP (imagine how absurd!). That giant inconsistency would be a problem for regular consumers and we would most probably be aware of it by now, which isn't the case. It's a perfect case-scenario for the application of the Occam's razor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Using Reaper for several years and with a wholllle lot of cracked plugins. It's definitely not Reaper. I am also using iZotope stuff, Sound Toys stuff, some uJam stuff (I own some, have some cracked) among many, many other plugin developers. No issues. I always install both VST2 and VST3 versions, and both versions show in the DAW.

I think you need to adjust your approach here, as it's not that Reaper won't allow cracked plugins (Reaper neither cares, nor can figure it out, as others mentioned)... but you possibly have configured something in Reaper incorrectly.

One culprit sometimes is what people have put for the Reaper setting for locations of your plugins.. maybe go through that and simplify it a bit (eliminate some folders). Post it here, if you need help.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. clone

clone Audiosexual

On Mac REAPER 6.7, it let me run both 32bit and 64bit iLok bypassed plugins. Preventing that would not be all that difficult if they cared about this stuff. It's hard to say a developer who is selling a full DAW for $60? cares what other "industry insiders" have to say about that. In fact, it says quite the opposite. Everything about it would be locked down, and instead it is as close to as an open-source DAW worth using that I can even name. The whole idea of this thread flies in the face of logic.

13. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Try a portable install, and make sure the directories where the plugins are is actually being scanned.
    If they show up in the portable version there's likely something wrong with your settings (i.e. reaper.ini)

14. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

If there is only one (1) complain of REAPER doing that on the whole internet ... guess what? It's not REAPER. There is a menu point in the plugin browser window that says "compatibility settings". Go there and tick "Buggy plugin compatibility mode". I used that some time ago for 20 year old Steinberg plugins.

The other thing you can do is go to REAPER resources and open the reaper-vstplugins64.ini in an editor, search for the lines with the questionable plugins, delete those lines, start REAPER anew. Should solve some problems.

All that after you made sure that there are no conflicts regarding 32/64bit and/or vst2/vst3 plugins.

Another thing I encountered last week: plugins with the same name (blue3 from Rob Papen and blue3 from GG Audio) didn't work from 7.15 on. Only one of them showed up. The resolution was as weird as it can be: renaming one of them to blue3_gg.vst3 did the trick. That is not OK behaviour of REAPER. I think that will be sorted out. And I think that only maybe can be a culprit for the problem of the OP.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

No DAW will let you use two plugins with the identical name and file of the plugin, that I can remember. When your DAW validates/scans plugins at startup it is just going right down a list. So whichever plugin is higher up in that list is the one that will work, and the one after it will be ignored as a duplicate. That's no fault of the DAW and is actually the expected behavior.

16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I have had certain plugins that do not show up.
    One was a drum machine, but can't recall the name now.

[edit: it was ASDR Drum Machine. Putting the right configuration of spaces and dots after the name was the way i got it working. It was weird .. like 2 spaces and an extra dot and then a space , or something. The first one I tried to rename worked just with a space, and another had a similar weird pattern to make it work. I wonder if that was due to failing to register, getting renamed and then failing to register under THAT name as well, creating extra-name entries in the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini"....
    Well the solution to all that might be to simply delete the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" (or choose to clear all and do full rescan - it should do the same thing.]

In once instance I was able to get one to show by finding and deleting the entries in my "reaper-vstplugins64.ini".
    On rescan it was found. ( I had tried looking for it in 'Plugins that failed to scan" but did not see it.)

Another one or two I got working by renaming the .VST3 or .DLL (i can't recall which it was.)
    Perhaps it too was in the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" but I had not found it or checked, and renaming it allowed it to be registered again?

These plugins were seen by FL Studio and Studio One so, I suspected Reaper was the reason.
    I did not assume Reaper was at FAULT, as it might be properly failing to register them due to coding - (dunno?)

Due to this issue, I made extra folders for Reaper to scan (named: 32vst for Reaper, 64vst for Reaper, 64vst3 for Reaper) and set those paths in Reaper.
    I did that to keep the original plugin name safe, then to copy in any plugin that was an issue so I could rename at will.

After getting it all set up...I never had the issue again... :rofl:
    Just kidding - I did use it a bit but I have no plugins in those folders right now , so I assume i got them all working, but can't remember how.
    I should check to see if any are missing, because there were a few like that over the past couple of years.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. korgrog

korgrog Member

I found this solution on line for studio one, had problems with it also, I use ESET antivirus ,I use it with Reaper ,It appears that the antivirus
    interprets the VST scan as some type of attack and prevents the VST's from registering

Open Studio one and tick “scan at start up” then close the program. Disable your antivirus, firewall, malware bytes e.t.c. be sure that Windows defender doesn’t automatically activate if you’re using aftermarket antivirus you want everything OFF. I disconnect my Ethernet temporarily whilst doing this.

Now open Studio one again and wait for it to scan your plugin folders, if successful uncheck the “scan at start up” tab and reactivate your AV and firewall. This has been my workaround for loading new plugins into S1 since version 4 came out.
    If it didn’t work you might have luck deleting and re adding the plugin folder paths.

19. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

Beware:excl:: reaper is actually a CIA spyware to check if you're making music illegally.
    if i were you i'd stay out of town for a few days

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

1. You can show VST2/3/CLAP/... as separate categories in the FX browser.
    2. You can rename plugins (F2 in the FX browser) and append a format identifier (2 / 3 / CLAP) to their name and they'll show up separately.
    3. You can change the order of format precedence in the FX browser window. I have mine set to CLAP > VST3 > VST2.

21. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Has happened to me aswell my solution was
    1. Delete the Vstplugins64 ini file again
    2. Then MOVE every Vst 3 and Vst 2 plugins to a new folder
    3. And then add just a few plugins back to the original Vst folder why not start with Vst3 as thats the ones that isnt showed up in Reaper for you add something like 10 plugins at the time
    4. And then open Reaper look so every plugin you added is there after reaper has scanned the plugin folder.
    5. Continue to do so until all the plugin is scanned.

Last edited: May 9, 2024