Reaper daw - send midi quesiton

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Nov 23, 2021.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:yes: You ask how to make a single note send to a specific synth. By giving the note a specific MIDI channel in the editor and adjust the send of the MIDI track to that specific synth to that MIDI channel.

2. samsome

samsome Guest

this is what i'm trying to find still, i'm in the midi editor, but where do I give the note a specific midi channel

3. grrrr

grrrr Kapellmeister

right click the note your talking about. a menu pops up. look up note channel

4. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Honestly, I'd suggest only going down that path if you're really literally only changing a handful of a specific individual note(s) to go to different tracks. And by that, I don't mean just "all C2 notes go here, all C#2 notes go here". If you're doing THAT, then I'd suggest the method I mentioned. If you want one individual note (no matter what value that note is) to sometimes go to track 1.. sometimes go to track 2, then No Avenger's suggestion makes more sense. The method I described would not be good for that. But if you want all C2 notes to go to track 2 (for example) and all C#2 to go to track 3, etc, etc, then really, just do the method I described.

I might be missing something, but I don't think there's a way from event properties to route ALL C2 note events to a specific track (other than selecting them all, which is more cumbersome.. and then you have to do this again if you add more notes). FYI, I think the shortcut you want (by default) is not F2, it's actually Ctrl-F2 for event properties (or right click the note and just pick the channel under note channel).

So, again, to sum...

If you want to route all C2 notes on your MIDI track to another specific track, all C#2 to another track.. do what I suggested in my post.
    If you want to route SOME C2 notes from your MIDI track to another track, then doing what No Avenger described makes the most sense (set up individual notes to go to specific midi channels, and route channel 2 to track whatever, channel 3, to some other track, etc).

Really though, I'd think if you were considering option 2, you might as well just put those notes on the specific tracks, but there could be a use case for that still though to do it the other way.

5. No Avenger

->

6. No Avenger

Right click on Piano Roll.

Good hint, could be I've changed that at one point.

7. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Yeah, but this would work for a single MIDI Item.... which COULD be what Samsone is looking for (he didn't really elaborate on what he's trying to do)... and then if you add notes at a later time, you'll have to change the channel on the new notes, right? It really depends on what Samsone is trying to accomplish here as to whether that makes more sense - routing individual events, or setting up note routing plugin to route all specific notes to certain channels.

No harm in what you suggested, I don't think Samsone really explained enough of what he's trying to do, exactly (whether that be to route specific individual events regardless of note value, or he's trying to route all notes of that value).

8. No Avenger

Of course.

9. samsome

samsome Guest

oh damn never seen that menu before! CTRL + F2, noted thanks guys :D