Reaper daw - send midi quesiton

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Nov 23, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

[​IMG]

I'm sending midi note from a folder (MIDI) as you see to synth 1 (track)

but how do i set it up so that note C2 triggers the "Synth 1" track

thanks

3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I think you've created a feeback loop possibly with your setup (and why you don't have sound), because by default, Reaper is designed to prevent that (so you don't hurt your ears.. more on "feedback loop" in 3rd paragraph).

A couple things... I always prefer to put the MIDI track and the instrument tracks on the same level, rather than one under the other. It makes more sense, in my head.. but not necessary (however it would be one 'fix' for your problem). If you want to group them, just put them in a folder.

The other thing is, don't route Audio. Turn that off.. cause your Synth is routing audio to that MIDI folder, and the folder back to the synth.. and thus the "feedback loop".

One last thing.. if you would have just not added the send/receive, this would have also worked fine, because a parent will automatically route MIDI down to child. For me though, I like to separate it out and route MIDI manually, but either works fine.

So to sum:
    - Don't route audio from parent to child, and from child back to parent (feedback loop)
    - Midi automatically routes from Parent to child
    - If you put the midi track on the same "level" (folder level) as the instrument track, routing MIDI will work
    - Since your MIDI track is MIDI only, might as well always get it in your head to just route MIDI and turn off audio routing (will prevent accidental feedback loops)

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Best Answer
    Move Synth 1 out of the folder.
    IOW, you can have several MIDI tracks within a folder in which the synth is inserted, not the other way around. Folder = Synth which contains MIDI tracks.

5. samsome

samsome Guest

if i want ONLY note C2 to trigger the synth track what i need to do?

6. No Avenger

? Don't play other notes? [​IMG]

7. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Either what No Avenger said, or use JS Midi router plugin to route specific notes to where you want them to go. It's been a while since I've done it, but I think you also set up your routing of specific channels to route to various outputs. It's not too hard, and I'm sure Kenny has a vid on that :) If doing this, you definitely should NOT have a parent/child relationship between your MIDI and the instruments though, or you will have to do some other setup.

But I've done that before for drums, in particular. ex.. c2 routes to a bass drum track, c# to a snare drum track... etc.. if you search hard enough, I explained on the Reaper forum (which I know you're a member of) how to do that, somewhere. I assume that while you mentioned you want C2 to go to synth 1, you're asking because you want different notes going to different tracks, and not just a simple 1 note to 1 track deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. No Avenger

[​IMG]

As you can see I've routed MIDI A to tracks 1 and 2. Every MIDI note has by def MIDI channel 1. If I want to send a MIDI note in MIDI A to track 1 I only need to set this note to Channel 2. All other notes will go to track 2 (by def).

EDIT: Sorry for the 1 and 2 chaos.

9. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Put the instrument on the folder insert. Do the midi via the child tracks. Creating routing is not necessary. Audio and midi is automatically sent from childtracks to folder/parent tracks.

10. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Just tested out the JS: MIDI Router/Transpose method I described, and I'll just re-iterate it here. Note, this explanation is for routing of multiple *different* notes/ranges to multiple different instrument tracks (which I would think is what you're looking for, based on your second question):

1) Create your MIDI track.
    2) Create your instrument tracks (do not put these as a child under MIDI tracks or vice versa).
    3) On MIDI track, add at least 1 instance of "JS: MIDI Router/Transpose" plugin. You'll need 1 for each note (range) your routing to an instrument.
    4) Set up each "JS: MIDI Router/Transpose" instance:
    ---- Input: likely want this to always be 1 (this is the MIDI channel your notes on the track are on), but that may not be the case (in which case, you probably understand why, if you're doing this).
    ---- Output: this should be a distinct value for each instrument track being routed to, unless you have some notes going to multiple instruments (then they'd be the same output
    ---- Note Min/Max - This is the note, or note range you're routing. I wish they used the actual note names, but you can get the note 'value' by opening a MIDI editor and hovering on the note on Piano roll.. it shows value in top left).
    5) Route the MIDI track to the Instrument track. Turn off Audio routing (not needed). MIDI Routing... First value would be whatever Output channel you used in step 4. Second value, you can just set this to "All" for simplicity, but you may have something else in mind.
    7) Put some MIDI on your MIDI track.

If you're having problems, start small... set the Note Min/Max really wide so that you're routing everything and ensure that works, then narrow it down and focus on individual note routing.

Again, to reiterate, this above method is for routing of individual notes.. not routing of all notes (ex C2 goes to track 2... C# goes to track 3, etc..). Routing of all notes to a track is a very simple process (already described by another post).. routing of single notes? Read this post.

You can also route all notes everywhere and filter them out on the individual tracks using JS Midi Note Filter plugin.. whatever makes most sense to you.

Here's an example of what that all looks like:
    https://i.imgur.com/WAxccQu.png

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  11. samsome

samsome Guest

which notes are going to channel 2 in this case?....can you select which notes go to channel 2? you said all notes go to 1 by default...i kinda seen that, but how do you select which notes go to 2

i managed to do the naitguy method but not sure if it can be done with this method too yet (without the JS plugin) but Js plugin is fine just checking if its possible this way too

12. No Avenger

Event properties. Select a note and right click (in the lower third of the pop-up) or click on View in the top menues, or press F2. :yes:

13. samsome

samsome Guest

[​IMG]

is that the F2 thing you're mentioning? i'm still tryign to figure it out sorry for the fuss

14. No Avenger

:no: ->
    Note, not track.

15. samsome

samsome Guest

in the midi editor? or where? i feel such a newbie

16. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

hi samsone, i enjoy so many questions by the way.
    heres the official vid for folders on reaper website, im going through these myself

im not sure how far along you are but have you checked out the (15) ten-fifteen minute vids under 'this is reaper 6'? those seem like a basic overview
    https://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php

17. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i've watched so many 15 minute vids im kinda getting annoyed with his voice :rofl:but its ok im just learning how to get around. the forum has alot of good info too

18. samsome

samsome Guest

i do need to revise folders thanks.....I watched so many videos btw, might have watched this too before!!! but its hard to keep them all in the head, will revise thanks!

19. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

The way I do this is to insert new instrument on a new track from the menus at the top. It lets you pick the plugin to use and then you can use the piano roll to trigger immediately.

20. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i see your playing around with vital :) check the one on automation when you want to make it go wobble wobble waa. see how he checks the write/read or just read. these are all in the same group of vids

21. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i think the first vid on folders talks about if your controlling multiple instances of the synth, and i think how to set rules for each? i'll check it again for that part