Reaper daw - midi drum kick pattern

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Aug 20, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

on 3:11

there's a kick pattern that slowly slows down, i was wondering if that can be transcribed to midi using 16th or triplet notes or if there is another quick way to transcribe a kick pattern like that slowing down

thanks

3. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Mmmmm... Creating a slowing down pattern while keeping your project's BPM set to a fixed tempo is... quite hard. You can't use a grid size. You'd have to create a series of really short MIDI kick notes and manually set the start time of each one a few MIDI "ticks" further from the previous one's start time. Remember that by default, in Reaper's preferences, you can set the measurement of MIDI ticks per quarter note (960 being the default value). Another option would be creating some points in the tempo track and ACTUALLY slow down the tempo (using "linear" changes) all along, say, the last quarter note or eighth note of your measures (or just on the measures where you'd like a slow-down effect). Then, after the slow-down, create a new tempo point right at the beginning of the next measure to go back to the original tempo. You'd have to repeat it for every measure you need, since as far as I'm concerned, you can't copy-paste tempo track changes in Reaper... yet.

Another workaround: try getting Izotope BreakTweaker. You can usually find it on sale at Plugin Boutique at a real bargain prize (Normally, the expanded version is over €250, but ocassionaly I have seen it ON SALE for just €15.50 or so - which is a REAL BARGAIN!!! - get an account at Plugin Boutique and check Breaktweaker's price every month or so). Breaktweaker is a six-channel drum VSTi which allows you to SPLIT notes into ANY number of divisions, and set them either evenly, slowing down, or speeding up. If you get the Expanded version, you get plenty of extra sound banks. Anyway, each channel in BreakTweaker allows you to create YOUR OWN sound. You can create your own drum sound on each lane, and you can use up to 3 sound generators per lane and combine them. Breaktweaker allows you to use both their drum generator, or load your own samples (e.g. to add a "click" sound for a transient). As I said, you can add up to 3 samples or drum synth generators per channel. Breaktweaker allows you to send all its 6 channels to 6 different audio tracks in your DAW, so you can mix them to taste, and apply your own FXs the way you like! - You can create up to 24 different drum patterns inside each preset. Each pattern can be up to two 4/4 measures long, and you can create polyrhythms by shortening the length of any particular channel, so that the repetitions are, say, at 5/4, 7/8, etc...

Get into Plugin Boutique now and check Izotope Breaktweaker! It's a bit pricey now, but it's likely that it will be on sale again soon! Meanwhile, you can check the audio & video demos for it and get an idea of what you can do with it.

4. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Here's one of the YouTube videos you can also watch from Plugin Boutique site (plus one more I've just found):

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  5. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Is there no time warp / tempo / BPM master track in Reaper. What I mean: a track where you can change the BPM and all the elements will follow the tempo change.

7. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

That's amazing. Never seen that before, thanks man.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You can do this easily with Playrate automation.
    For tempomap changes only linear or square waves are available, for Playrate even curved ones.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Newbie

If you're making the beat with midi, you would need to render it to wave file(s) first for Playrate automation to work as expected.

10. No Avenger

:no: From Reaper User Guide v 6.30 page 352: You can also add to the Master a Playrate envelope which can be used to automatically speed up or slow down the playback of your project. This envelope is applied to all tracks, audio and MIDI.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Of course there is, but it would affect the whole project, not only the kick. It seems that op wants to affect only the kick.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

Wouldn't it be easier to write the kick separately then, with whatever tempo automation; and then just resampling it?

13. No Avenger

I think that was an unlucky phrasing of him. He just wants to achieve a ritardando, that's all. One for the kick alone wouldn't make sense anyways.

14. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

When you have to move off the grid just record yourself tapping out the kick manually by feel OP.

I'm a bit ritardando but it's all fine and dando. I wonder why he would need to have only the kick drum change tempos, I've only heard that working when every element in the track is following along to the ruleset changing into the next part.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ah Ok so it's very easy to achieve then. Using tempo curve.