Reaper Daw - i want to move samples/projects to another drive without asking me to find them

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by stav, Jun 8, 2024.

1. stav

stav Member

Hello i want to move files from C: to D: but i think reaper asks me to find one by one the samples after that as it can't find them on C:...any idea how to do this?

thanks

3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If using Windows, use symlinks.
    They are like shortcuts but Windows treats them as if the folder is where the symlink is, so Reaper won't know the difference either.
    There is a handy tool in my sig and the website explains how.
    The tool is a context menu thing and makes it so easy.
    Most times one can just move a folder to a new location, and then right-click on that folder in its new location and choose ""Pick Link Source".
    Then right-click in the previous location and choose "Drop as ... Symbolic Link".
    The symlink shortcut will act like it is the actual location of the folder.
    https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Couple more options:

1) Make a symlink as per DoubleTake. (To fix your projects). Open your projects, go to the Project Bay -> Source Media and relocate your samples there.

2) Move your samples back to their original location. Open your projects in Reaper, use the Project Bay -> Source Media to move your samples.

3) Open your projects' RPP files in a text editor and search-replace the path to your samples.

FILE "D:\Dropbox\Reaper\2024\Cemron\Rhythm guitar stems.wv"
    ->
    FILE "C:\Projects\2024\Cemron\Rhythm guitar stems.wv"

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Both answers are right. I'd recommend the symlink one, you don't need to touch anything after you move the files and make the symlink folder.

Unless the new folder is gonna be the usual/default for most projects, then @xorome 's suggestions could be the best in the medium/long term.

Just a quick note buddy, it's not currently in your sig (the symlink extension)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024