Reaper automation clips (round 2, realearn)

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by xbitz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

after f*cked up some(tons of) hours with the possibly solutions seems only the realearn based one https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/ is effective enough

this is a typical workflow (with multi-groupping, VCA fadering, some routing and bouncing, so this how the things goes in it in basic level) with Reaper

for LFOing MIDI Shaper is a pretty good one (or some third party) for CC modulation values summing still used the https://audiosex.pro/threads/reaper-automation-clips-using-miditoreacontrolpath.26471/#post-210356 one, for non-realtime bouncing the real automations still have to be recorded (this is the price for the clips, for realtime the live-out can be recorded ), I think this best what Reaper knows at this moment if u need FL Studio like workflow(fast and effective for EDM/automation pattern based), clips can be linked in Reaper so all the automation clips with the same name can refreshed at the same time (it's missing from the video)

hope it helps to somebody :)

ps. side-chaining is quite easy http://reaperblog.net/2013/01/video-two-ways-to-sidechain-in-reaper/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

I really want to thank you for the effort.
    I am very much interested in Clip Automation in Reaper, but seeing your video makes my head dazzle.
    I really wish you could narrate explanation in this video.
    I am trying to follow the vid but it's too overwhelming and i really don't understand sh*t of what you are doing.
    I hope i don't offend you by this.

4. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

np :) , it was a long story, this was the first post, https://audiosex.pro/threads/transition-to-reaper-and-some-questions.26430/#post-209497

so

"- first needs a plugin which converts automation curves to MIDI expression ( Script to convert Envelope Automation to MIDI Expression! http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=42960 ) to able to use automation curves inside clips, clips and all of their contents (fxs) can be synced in Reaper with propagation actions so the FL pattern based behavior can be emulated nicely (syncing working clip name and per track based)"

the startig point is still this one,should create a track, create a MIDI media item in it then drop a "Script to convert blabla" JSFX device into it, then automate its CC 1 slider as item envelope, it gonna send the CC envelope based signal to the track where the ReaLearn plugin can distribute it to the different VST(i)s that's all :) , the sent signal can be LFOed can other automation added to it (that was this https://audiosex.pro/threads/reaper-automation-clips-using-miditoreacontrolpath.26471/#post-210299 )

if the ReaLearn plugin can't see the target(after pressing the learning) simple should switch off all the devices, ctrl+click on the fx power button can switch off all of them, then try again (as in the video)

for me it was the only working method all the others f*cked up the PM signal somewhere, or wasn't able to add new control to it if one of them has been lfoed (Reaper has seen that one as last modified param, this why I've used third-party LFO insted of the Reaper's one which can't be disabled)

ps. other things

[​IMG]
    it can kill the automation precision totally, default is 200ms

[​IMG]
    maybe it needs for realtime bouncing

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Dear xbitz,
    Thank you so much for this clarification, no time for reading it now, but i have saved it
    and will try to follow it.
    Warm regards !

6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

added an automation only part (one device, volume, and bitrate automation)

it takes only minimal routing, and the pseudo automation clips can be auto propagated (linked) from 8.55 , so quite cool

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Thank you for your time and effort putting all this together, it is great.

Sometimes I get conflicts with HeDa's Track Inspector and ReaLearn but it goes away after I on/off it a few times. Also I have noticed that some synths like Synth1 require MiditoReaControlPath to disable pitch (however pitch is not altered, so don't know what is going on there, if you can test it would be awesome) and other synths like Helm work just fine.

I also prefer to use only one instance of ReaLearn in the automation folder for a track but I can see why you would use an instance for each automated parameter.

In general I don't render instead record the output and I feel that sometimes the automation is a bit unproductive but with the clips is so much better.

Thank you again.

8. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

all the incoming signals can be blocked by ReaLearn

[​IMG]

with unchecking the two checkboxes at the top (if they come from some of the automation track somehow), so should track back the mod signal

9. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Yes that was it, I wonder why pitch was altered though. I will stay tuned for any further developments :cool:.

EDIT: (Have you posted this "way of doing things" in the reaper forum?) <---- Got it.

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to use the auto-propagate script only on selected items.

10. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

there is a "mpl_Invert item selection in selected tracks.lua" script so just should invert the selection set and lock the others

11. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Cool, will check that. I will probably just make a custom action then.

By the way, which method do you prefer the best? mpl's mapping tool or ReaLearn? They both work great I am just wondering.

12. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

seems easier to setup a new automation track from an already exists one with ReaLearn, and there is direct access to the min-max values in it, but it not support spec. mapping formulas like

[​IMG]

so for the basic cases I would prefer to use ReaLearn (can faster to work with it) for the spec ones the mpl's mapping one (this is why I've asked it http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1718256&postcount=32 )

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  13. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

btw. for the non Reaper users, it was not mentioned in the videos but "Track ReaList" means the track snapshot script working here too, so can be played with the different automation variations without any pain

this is the point for me from where the automation solution of Reaper is more fun (creative) than the automation clips in FL Studio

14. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Also mpl's mapping has to be loaded every time you need to use it and have it open for the whole time. Which can be a bit inconvenient however it is a great tool. I also use julian's LFO tool for quick repetitive shapes.

I noticed that because midishaper runs even when you haven't push play I have to mute all the tracks with it(or the folder tracks) to be able to "learn target" in realearn, am I doing something wrong or that's just the way it is?

15. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

mpl's mapping can be docked (to the right multi-dock), midishaper: mentioned it, ctrl+click on a fx power(on any track, or mixer) button stops/disable all the FXs in a project that solves the problem (there is a related "Run FX for ...ms after stop" in the pref/audio/playback that also can be set to 3000ms for ex.) modulation of Repear can't be stopped(that really kills the assignment process) this is why we suggested the midishaper (or LFO Tool - XferRecords or...)