Reaper and Kontakt Don't Mix Well...?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by BooBam, Mar 2, 2018.

1. BooBam

BooBam Ultrasonic

I am new to Reaper and am having issues with Kontakt in Reaper.
    Seems really bad when more than one track has Kontakt loaded.
    And when trying to use some instruments I get an error saying the sample library has not been intitialized.
    Nothing I do will load those instruments. It also takes a very long time to close an instrument, sometimes more than a minute. Reaper will even freeze or crash.

Anyone else run into this...or am I maybe not doing something I should be?

Thanks much for any and all feedback.

3. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

I think you will need to give more information if you are to get any help.......specs of pc/mac x32/x64 ......your Operating system version
    Which version of Kontakt legit or other. and if other which distribution symlink or not etc. There is already a heap of stuff about this very subject here on this site good luck

4. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Reaper v5.76 x64, Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

No issues whatsoever here with Kontakt 5.5.0 and Portable 5.7.1 (except portable is loading slower by nature)
    Maybe you need to create proper routing for Kontakt. There are pre-made Kontakt track templates on Reaper stash. If you can't find them just let me know and I'll send it to you :wink:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

No problems here with 5.7.3 portable win 7 x64 either but if the op is having probs we need to know a bit more.

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Exactly. The freezing is caused by Kontakt instance which have no I/O activated. The easiest solution is to arm the track before you open the Kontakt interface.

7. BooBam

BooBam Ultrasonic

Tvandlover, Thank You, I am on Win 7 pro using Reaper V5.76 64 bit with Kontakt V5.7.3 (R37) Portable...Reaper is legit, Kontakt is not but do not remember who's crack it is. It is not symlink, I know that much. Got it from the sister site last Dec. All it has is the .exe.
    Maybe I should look into another version?

Not familiar with track templates and will look for them ...Thank You Playtime.
    Andrew I do arm the track before I open Kontakt, Thank You too.

I did look on the forum for this issue but the search is a tad confusing for me and I did not find anything. I did Google it though and came up with a few discussions regarding funky behavior of Reaper with Kontakt going back quite a while. But no solid asnwers to the problems.
    One guy suggested this is and has been an ongoing thing for a long time.

I do not understand the, "sample library has not been intitialized", error as it only happens with new instruments.
    Others that were already in Kontakt before installing Reaper work fine, save the slow loading and closing, freezing, crashing etc. but they do play at least. All load and play fine in Mixcraft.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It seems a rare problem. Specially if it works with other DAWs although with some problems.

Not the best solution but given the problems began with the update I would reinstall Kontakt (and possible updates) from scratch. Uninstalling it is not trivial, by the way.

Also, you could try the portable Kontakt which can coexist with a "regular" Kontakt installed version.

9. BooBam

BooBam Ultrasonic

Xupito, Thanks for the suggestion but the Kontakt I have is the portable version.

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Sorry, my bad for not reading through.

I'm not sure if I should recommend you to reinstall Reaper or to try another Kontakt. Specially after the positive input of the portable version given by fellow users here (and myself, btw, though i mostly use the simlink one)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Laser Loser

Laser Loser Newbie

Try another portable. I have Reaper on two W7 64 systems, and I have found that although the same version of Reaper (5.91) is on both, one can use some portables that the other cannot. And some portables won't work on either one. I currently have 580 on one, but 566 is as high as I can go on the other. I do get some lag when closing projects as it unloads Kontakt, and that's on both machines, but oddly, it doesn't seem consistent. It is irritating, though.

12. xaosnox

xaosnox Newbie

Wondering if you ever got this working. I've had no problems whatsoever with REAPER and Kontakt, but I'm on a Mac, and good audio/video drivers are built into, not patched onto, the OS. I'm always interested to see how these things turn out for people. It seems like a lot of people post their issue, then solve it, but forget to post what they did to fix it so that other members can benefit from their experience. I hope you got this working.

13. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

My guess is something related to memory usage, we don't know how much available RAM was in that pc.
    Also the configuration of "Audio buffering settings" in Reaper and "Multiprocessor support" in Kontakt.
    We don't know what else was running on that Windows, something else could also drain CPU (or memory) usage so much that it affected Reaper so badly.

14. fundorin

fundorin Member

Try portable 6. I have no issues with it, except when changing output audio device. It simply freezes Reaper for a minute in that case.

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@BooBam Have you tried turning off the multicore processing in Kontakt? It should be off when you're working with Reaper. Reaper takes good care of multicore processing itself. I can't remember if I ever had to turn on the multicore processing in any of the VSTis to make them perform better. They always perform better with it to "off" with Reaper.

16. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Ya, I read that. However it's not clear, if it's a well known issue, why the multicore management isn't handed off to the daw without changing manually the kontakt setting.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

In theory it should be totally mandatory to delegate multi-core to the DAW (it is explicity stated in the very same Kontakt setting)
    But indeed this question rings a couple of bells...

On another side, Reaper has extremely advanced settings when it comes to tweak the performance. And I'm talking "only" about the plugins ones. The other day I dug deep and I was astonished, even when I'm not new to Reaper.