Reamping with Kemper or Axe etc..

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Vaijj, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Hi guys..

I wonder if there is someone that has a good set up for reamping with external devices like Kemper or Axe. How do you route it all and what works best for you. I work in two DAWs (C9 and S1) but i guess it retty much the same no matter what you use when it comes to this.

Thing is that i feel i loose something that i really cant say when i do it my way. It feel like it looses something from the clean recorded track until its back in with the reamped sound. Hard to explain.. but i would be nice to hear how any of you guys set it up and how you route it.

Be safe all
    Vaijj

3. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Not sure if Kemper or Fractal support reamping by themselves.

But I used to use a reamp box I built for a physics project. It's the Cuniberti (spelling?) design. Got a DIY kit for $40. Sounded great. I only used it with analog preamps though.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

5. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Okej.. well my set up is as described on Kempers forum and other places.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/16861-Step-by-Step-Reamping-Guide/

It works but i just dont get that tone and punch im looking for. I may be overlooking something so thats why i throwed this out here in case maybe someone has a better way. And maybe you are right about fractal that they dont support it, i dont know wither i just assumed they did..

But as said if anyone has any ideas or have to take you up on your set up Ninja and toss the kemper :)

Vaijj ;)

6. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

What's missing in your set-up is a good re-amping DI, like Radial has. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ering_r800_1030_reamp_jcr_studio_reamper.html You might think that using a DI is terribly overrated...but it's not! It makes a world of difference with or without it. I've tried others but they didn't seem to pull it off like this one does. If you have a good DI-track in your session, it's like the guitar player is playing live right next to you.

• List
  7. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

Im sure the kemper is fine. I have an Axe Fx II XL+ and I can confirm that reamping is flawless and all you need is the unit itself. no need for a DI box. I set it up for the usual 4 track setup. I also do this for synthwave projects as well, Ill run my tracks back through and reamp with just a reverb block.

• List
  8. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Thanks for your input.. always nice with input. I think i may need to adjust my DI lvls since it seems to to be more importent than i thought. If i can get a better result by doing that it would be awesome. If not i may have to look for a DI box as sugested..

Thanks,,

9. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Pay extremely close attention to you levels! That's the whole point of reamping. Remember: cascading gain circuits are simply levels! A reamp box only differs from a DI box in that a reamp box converts a low impedance signal (lo-z) to a high impedance signal (hi-z). In fact, a reamp can be used backwards to work as a DI box. But a DI box CAN NOT FUNCTION AS A REAMP BOX.

A DI box converts a hi-z signal (like from a guitar) to a lo-z input (like the line level ins on an audio interface). A reamp box converts a lo-z (from your interface) to a hi-z (like a guitar). This "tricks" your amp into responding to a prerecorded signal from your ok interface the same way it would respond to an actual guitar plugging into the amp.

Radial bought the John Cuniberti (?) design. Thats why they sound the best. You can build them DIY though but it requires a custom transformer.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

http://www.johncuniberti.com/reamp/
    Here you go. Radial just bought the patent and promptly jacked up the price.

That's why I built my own. $40 is a great deal on a quality reamp box. That same site has other really cool kits too (I wanna build a nice preamp).

I actually wrote up a whole thing on reamp boxes and how they work etc. I can send you the info if you want. Basically, a reamp is just some resistors and a transformer that impede a signal to a specific value. Then you solder some connectors to a pcb and voila. You have a reamp.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016