really emo violin phrases

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ca5plays, May 9, 2017.

1. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

could someone link me to a really dope place to find some emotional violin chop samples , that are not in big libraries , just like some youtube videos or a small samples of just a few sounds plz and thanks

3. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

Not sure how relevant this will be for you but I've always loved the 'Real Strings' series from Organic Loops. I don't really think the demos do them justice as there's so much variety in the samples, but you can check them out here: http://www.loopmasters.com/search?utf8=✓&q=real+strings

Each pack is geared towards either a particular genre or playing style so you get looooooads of 'emo' phrases, chords and single notes to mess with on cello, viola and violin. Some packs will be more relevant than others. I think the 'Cinematic' and 'Dark Moods' packs will probably be the most useful to you, the phrases have loads of tasteful vibrato and romanticism in their playing styles.

Just a side note: I've found those kinds of really well-recorded string samples take re-pitching really well too with minimal artifacts (or none at all if you don't flatten the micro-pitches/ dynamics within notes and stay within an 8ve either side of the original note). I love to take phrases and change the notes in melodyne to create new ones while keeping the original humanism and dynamics within the part. You can also change the intensity of vibrato or harmonics present on individual notes too which is a fantastically helpful feature. I feel like this answer has turned into an advert for melodyne haha. (It's great nonetheless). :)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  4. lucymilan01

lucymilan01 Member

I heard those are phenomenal samples.