Reality check

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by BaSsDuDe, Dec 11, 2022.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

You realise that is a very difficult thing to answer? Here is one article done in 2022 - ranking comes in many forms nowadays. Streaming? A lot apparently and their entire tunes are on YouTube with millions of listens. So again, I do not know how ANY artist can or would want to rank themselves with media the way it is now....
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-beatles-albums-ranked-by-their-sales/
    I checked it was 2022 by viewing the source code.
    upload_2022-12-13_23-35-52.png

I think it is great that one of the most popular bands in the world is not liked by some people. That keeps the population individual and free thinking. I disliked Justin Bieber but millions thought he was amazing.

I think your question can only be properly answered when everyone here has well and truly turned to dust in about 300 years. If it is still mentioned with similar historical significance like Mozart, Bach and MANY others then.... perhaps that is the only way to get a true answer. Me? I have no fricking idea how to rank them other than their tunes were good pop tunes, love 'em or hate 'em :)

2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

FYI PPL

I tend NOT to rank for a very good reason. The one thing that is impossible to evaluate is exactly how many people who stream a tune or album 10 million times would have actually paid full price for that music if it was only available in merchandise. You cannot rank that.
    Do you evaluate online MP3 downloads at 50c and 99c a tune?? If you consider that when CD's became gradually phased out as popular media for music, only to be replaced by online streaming as a primary source was at least triple the online price, the ability to qualify the ranking other than the number of streams became impossible.

Does one million streams indicate this? AGAIN - would they have purchased it and would it equal 1 million if they could only purchase it because many streamers do not charge. Some streams come bundled for free with phone plans and other plan/specials. IMPOSSIBLE to qualify ranking.
    Some tunes are in a playlist and get a streaming ranking PURELY because they come bundled in that playlist. This is no indication whatsoever.
    Some tunes "Have you heard this tune it's hilarious" - "Have you heard this tune it is crap!!".
    You might be surprised how many shit tunes get millions of listens. So qualifying or even quantifying ranking and quality is near impossible.

EDIT:
    If you consider inflation, population growth and the years these were released in, put into todays numbers and sales, this would be staggering - possibly in the billions.
    1. Sgt Pepper’s lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) – 32 million copies sold
    2. Abbey Road (1969) – 19.9 million copies sold
    3. The White Album (1968) – 14 million copies sold

AS YOU ALL WERE RANT OVER.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  3. Colin

Colin Producer

are you havng a laugh?

4. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

meanwhile​

:dunno:

5. MINIGUNPUNK

MINIGUNPUNK Kapellmeister

Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landside,
    No escape from reality
    :):wink:

6. Colin

Colin Producer

... so ... are you John Cleese? ... it's all gettng a bit Monty Python now!

instead of "what did the Romans ever do for us?" ... change Romans to Beatles ... do a bit of research and swap out the things they did for us

PEACE

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

i would imagine if we had had streaming services, youtube and limewire during that epoca, it would have been different.

8. Colin

Colin Producer

Finding it hard to comprehend the levels of ignorance and delusion on this thread.

Sincerely hoping for the future of humanity's sake it's all just trolling!

I get that some people DON'T like The Beatles music, that's perfectly fine!

However, the rest of the planet does, and has done for almost 6 decades!

Personal opinions don't come into it. Facts do.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  9. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

If there was yet another Beatles compilation released today it would probably become one of the top selling records of the year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It would likely like most reissues, have "Remastered" as part of its marketing. If someone has all of the originals and did a more separated remix and a remaster in one compilation release, it could possibly be in the top five.

11. Daddy Lovebone

Daddy Lovebone Ultrasonic

If The Beatles released Sgt Pepper's today....

If I was 6'10" I'd play power forward for the Knicks in the winter and pitch no-hitters for the Yankees in the summer.

If, if, if....:rofl: