realistic movies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by wasgedn, Mar 4, 2019.

1. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I have never said that it's realistic. I have said that no movie can be realistic if you follow the discussion. My statement was a different one.

Saying that RoaD is realistic is like saying that for example the movies of Lucifer Valentine are realistic. Also "Falling Down" has nothing to do with realism if this should come into someones mind :no:. Aronofskys movies are good but not realistic.

Realism is nothing that has anything to do with movies. It can contain realistic scenes, unedited, people at real life work but they're always just scenes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  3. 30hz

30hz Producer

Dogme 95 was a filmmaking movement started in 1995 by the Danish directors Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg, who created the "Dogme 95 Manifesto" and the "Vows of Chastity" (Danish: kyskhedsløfter). These were rules to create filmmaking based on the traditional values of story, acting, and theme, and excluding the use of elaborate special effects or technology. It was an attempt to take back power for the director as artist, as opposed to the studio. They were later joined by fellow Danish directors Kristian Levring and Søren Kragh-Jacobsen, forming the Dogme 95 Collective or the Dogme Brethren. Dogme (pronounced [ˈdɒwmə]) is the Danish word for dogma.
    source: Wikipedia

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

sure its a movie....
    shows you kno nothing bout that topic...RoaD shows exact mechanisms ,exact realionship problems,exact drug addiction imaging,exact image of executive...eg...NY junkies driven to the south and get twice or tripple as bad treatment as in NY:::its like a junkie from hamburg get fucked in munich..he get trippele amount of treatment and sentence...the movie shows exact way how a women get into prostitition..also that her lover sent her first time so they get healthy again...exact means not that this the only way...there are thousends but this movie showed all topic proper...means its realistic..also with the mother get addicted by diat drugs..morning uppers evening downers..get haluzinations...lsd is potent but the heaviest and most 'realistic' halizunations comes from sleep deprivation

realism in movies or realistic movies means simple : no bullshit....sure a movie is no inprint of the real circumstances it want to show...but it could do that in realistic way...and it did..

the movie bout the two small time thugs in the italien movie is also realistic image of whats up there...but not only there...we have also mafia(other)...and you can forget to get big in the biz of youre own , without a family or group which is not even there since yesterday...
    also the drug pusher distrubtion places are a proper image of real world...i also had ask my friend in rome...she said it looks proper...

5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

Felon (2008)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117385/
    is realistic no matter what

Shot Caller
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4633690/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    shot caller shows also realistic how a mans life and identity get altered from us prison system

Le Trou (1960)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054407/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
    the french guy who was in there , play in that movie..he also was making sure they tell it like it happened...really a great movie...super classic black and white movie...

Starred Up
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
    its even worser

Bad Boys (1983)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085210/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

A Prayer Before Dawn (2017)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080956/
    The true story of an English boxer incarcerated in one of Thailand's most notorious prisons as he fights in Muay Thai tournaments to earn his freedom.

Dog Pound (2010)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422020/?ref_=nv_sr_2
    Three juvenile delinquents are sentenced to a correctional facility where they encounter gang violence, death, and harassment from staff and other inmates.

R (2010)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1434443/
    The R of the title stands for the young protagonist, Rune, fearlessly played by Pilou Asbæk. Imprisoned for violent assault, he's a cocky, good-looking young man placed in the hardcore ward...

german juvenile prison

if you like prison and jail docu stuff watching ...check 60 days in...and youtube
    youtube shows a bright view on globals prison systems and their differences....

6. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

realistic means not real btw...

7. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

:snuffy::rofl:

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

one of my favs of all time, that movie is so real it's almost scary. it is, however, fiction nontheless, it's based on a novel by Hubert Selby Jr. who, fun fact, appeared in the movie as the jailer who threw racial slurs at Tyrone when he was in jail.

9. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

My 2 cents:

All Jim Jarmusch films.
    All Mike Leigh films, 'Happy go lucky' is one of my favourites.
    Let's not forget: Cidade de Deus (City of God).
    And German Speaking 'Toni Erdmann' is a great movie as well.

Basically, Arthouse, European and East-coast US films tend to be more realistic then Hollywood stuff..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

"Requiem for a dream" is hard to beat when it comes to devastating movies, more than realistic. BTW, for me realistic movies is a totally valid concept. Call it "movies that seems the closest to real life but still there aren't real life" if you want to ignore the context, but still...

In that line of realistic but specially devastating movies, "Into the Wild" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/) also left me pretty depressed, though not as close.

Edited:
    Wow, that one is also incredible. Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Las Vegas Parano =)

12. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

great ones

skandinaviens do great stuff but often only native lang.

first time i watched RofD was depressed after..second time now in native was great i knew what will come but wasnt bored at all..often is it like that that famous hollywood actors did great movies before there breakthru...into the wild was depressing too ....but what a great dude and true story leaned

the actor from into wild did another good true story leaned suburban weed hustle crime movie
    with justin t
    Alpha Dog (2006)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426883/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_34

The Autopsy of Jane Doe was good too but doesnt fit in here

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

15. kims

kims Kapellmeister

the movie- Falling Down

That could be anybody today, maybe me? :) "We´r not the same, im kims....you´r sick a**hole"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

in common to much fluorid saturation...maybe:dunno:

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That movie was innovative as far as super-budget movies were back in the day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I really liked "Requiem for a Dream". Watched it more than a couple of times and not just for the cough cough "interesting scenes". :wink:

Another US film that really moved me is "12 Years a Slave". Great film. I like realistic films, or rather films that are much closer to reality, and usually based upon true stories. Crucial word is "based" when it comes to Hollywood... cos it can be really loosely based. That's why I prefer watching European films, particularly UK, French, Swedish, German, and Italian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Not a movie but I'm currently watching "True Detective" third season, which is also kind of "realistic and devastating". Every season is a different story, characters and cast.

But the more devastating thing about this series is M.McConaughey's performance in the first season. It's not my favorite show but for sure is the most incredible performance I've seen in a tv show hands down. It's simply incredible. I got goosebumps only by thinking on it.

To the point that when I recently watched some of these "extras" with interviews I was surprised when McConaughey laughed and made jokes with the other main character actor. And it's been 2 years since I saw that season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List